• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Question

bigelk50

Sorry I cannot help. I do not know much about the cat engine. But I am sure that someone on here does. I was watching that truck and was tempted to bid on it. We did win some tires from there though. Congrats on your win!! I am really starting to like those A3's

Happyland1410

I saw your post, so after work I went to our fire station in hopes of getting a picture of our A3 showing what is missing on yours. Well, ours looks just like yours. It sure looks like something goes there. So I did some more research. That is the crankcase breather. Here is a link to the TM page for the 3116 crankcase breather. From what I can tell nothing goes on the bottom of that housing.

ENGINE CRANKCASE BREATHER AND BASE MAINTENANCE

crankcase_breather.jpg

rwoods

Mine looks just like yours. And I thought the same thing the first time I noticed it, but I believe if you look at the TM you'll see that nothing is missing. At least I hope so. Ron :-D

usmcr55

Thanks Guys for the inputs.
I went down to my local Cat dealer today and was informed that it is indeed the Crankcase Breather. The bottom portion is made to mount a fuel filter. The left port would normally go to the Governor Assembly, while the right port would go to the rear of the cylinder head. But as you have confirmed for me, in the military version the fuel filter is not mounted on the crankcase breather. See TM 9-2320-386-24P Fig. 35 for actual filter mounting.
Sorry for running everyone down a dirt road, but it sure had me spooked. I didn't want to turn the engine over until I resolved it. Thanks again for the confirmation. The willingness to help is what makes this site!!!
Regards to all.
Don AK6F

usmcr55

jesusgatos,
Here is info from DA FORM 461-5 Vehicle Classification Inspection that was left in the cab.
Following items to be replaced:
F/Shackels
Chain Covers
Wiper Blades & Washer
Oil and Fuel Gages
Driver's Seat
Radiator Hoses
Drive Belts
3 Marker Lights
Front Axle CV Boots
Hand Break - Light & Shoes
Steering Wheel Cracked
Torque Arms
4 Tires Dry Rotted
L/Front CTIS
Total Cost: $3727.08 (Govt)
The inspection report was signed 20 Oct 2008.
I have not confirmed all the items listed need to be replaced. After 85 hours of desulfating mode I gave up on the batteries and went down and bought two new 6TL's. Now I can start checking out the electrical system. There is a fluid leak up front, something to do with steering that I need to track down. I won't know if there is anything major until I get to the engine and drive train.
About a year ago I saw one on GL go for about $5k back east, but none since.
Hope you can find what you want, you never know what will happen - supply and demand!!
Don AK6F