• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator = Head gasket problem

Haven alot of fun

Well I flushed out the radiator. That when it seem to get worse. The radiator was blowing it's stack.
Got a new radiator cap.didn't help.
Took out the thermostat. The radiator still's bubbling. So I guess the head gasket is bad.

Where is a good place to get a gasket set?
What is the best TM to use for the tear down of the head and rebuild.
What kind of time does it take to do

I have a 1970 Jeep Kaiser 465 1d engine.

Thank's for your help in advance.

Divemaster920

Banned
Are you sure there is a problem? Are you allowing expansion room? Does it only blow off at shut down?
If she only blows off at shut down...there is too much in her.

Haven alot of fun

It just keep bubbling from when I start it till i shut it off
Even drove it down the road it then open it slowly still bubbling. Wish I had a x-ray to take a picture so I could know that is the problem. I'am shooting from the hip.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dry liners on the multi. If there are bubbles in the system, since there is no air to water places like an air compresor, 99.9% positive a head gasket or head is junk.

Haven alot of fun

Doing a little more investgation. there no sings of water in the oil, but I see extra amount of moisture in the valve cover . A lite milkey hase. On the cap.
What is your thought's. What to check next?

Haven alot of fun

Well I changed the head gasket's set. But still getting blowby in the radiator.
What else can I check to what the problem is.
Could it be one of the injector cassing?
Truck run good. So at a loss of what to do next.

G-Force

Hook up a radiator pressure tester to the radiator and start it up. See how fast the pressure builds up. If it builds up slow then increases when the thermostat opens then most likely your radiator is clogged or restricted. If it builds up perssure as soon as you start up then you probably have c cracked head. Shut it down and pump the pressure up to about 15 maybe 20 pounds and let it sit for a half an hour to see if it drops off. If it does, pull the injectors and crank the engine and see if you get antifreeze out of any cylinders. I would lean towards a restricted radiator though. Keep us posted on what you find.

Scarecrow1

There is a pressure test they can do on the radiator to see it if it is a head gasket . I had it done to my truck and it saved a lot of guess work. Mine was done at a radiator shop if that helps

Haven alot of fun

Did some more testing. blow air into each cylinder head one at a time. Got to #6 made my radiator bubble. found the leak. The sleeve has a hair line crack in it 1/4 inch down from the top. Time order a new sleeve. Priced close to $85 to $99 for one. Hopefully that will fix it.

Happy Holiday everyone. Keep it safe. My we all get a new toy.

jwaller

The sleeve has a hair line crack in it 1/4 inch down from the top.

great job tracking down the problem. I know a lot of ppl that would have given up and thrown in the towel. now it's fixing the problem. and if you have pulled the heads twice then swapping the liner will be a piece of cake.

congrats.!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks