• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tools to buy for working on the deuce???

StoneMill

I bought a deuce last month and have been getting ready to overhaul it this winter. The garage is cleaned out and ready to go.
My brother is delivering a 5 ton gantry lift tomorrow. Should make lifting the heavy stuff much easier. (the engine lift worked for pulling the tranny right after I got the deuce but this'll make it easy).
I'm picking up a 60 gal air compressor and lines tomorrow. Have needed this for awhile now. The little 5 gal just doesn't cut it.
I have basic tools but I'm trying to figure out what else I need for working on the deuce.
I have $200 in Sears cards to spend on whatever I want/need. Somehow I convinced my fiance that tools were more important than stuff for her craft room.
I need suggestions on what to buy from Sears and what I should avoid from them. Specific tools/sets with links would be even better. What I don't get now I stick on my Christmas list. Thanks is advance.

So far my thoughts are:
Decent Breaker Bar
Impact Sockets (need to know what sets/sizes)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Head nut wrench, 250 ft lb 1/2 inch torque wrench, 3/8 torque wrench, liner puller, ring compressor, air compressor wrench. 7/16 to 1 1/4 socket set in 1/2 drive, a deep set of the same, 3/8 socket set, 3/8 wobbly socket set. Maybe more. Why you gonna o-haul it?

StoneMill

When I say overhaul, I guess I really mean going over everything to be certain it is dependable. Plus, my roomate is a diesel mechanic and willing to assist. I figure while I have the knowledgeable help, I'm going to learn as much about this truck as I can. I bought a nicer bed from an SS member, so while the bed is off I'm going clean up the frame, replace/repair anything that needs it, and give it new coat of paint. I've got a ton of ideas in my head. We'll see what happens.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget your 8 pt 3" wheel bearing socket. You won't find it at Sears/K-Mart but it is somewhat necessary.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
SS member Houdel (my spelling) was selling the lug nut socket that allows you to use the same socket on the inner and outer lug nuts.......very good to have when changing tires.
The air compressor wrench is a necessary item if you ever need it (I have one but it is hanging on the wall).
If you can swing it get a 1" impact wrench......often those lug nuts are frozen tight. They are pricey but worth it.
A 1" pull bar and good cheater pipe is a must have combo.
If you are going to do services a dolly to move the duals while mounted on the hub is good to have. It allows them to be rolled around easily.
The rule of thumb for tools is "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also recommend the set of compressor wrenches to make the compressor belt removal and install a breeze. See classifieds on this site.

GoHot229

Well we'v been on the "Made in" part of this discussion recently, many will remember, but never-the-less.....heres my stash of stuff I carry with me and where I got it. I have a socket/breaker/rachet set that goes up to, I think 1 7/8 from HF, it comes in when I break the lugs, also for any big nuts or bolts on the Deuce. I also hace a openend/box set from 3/8's to ....I'm thinking, again 1 7/8, (I'd have to go look and it's raining, so fat chance of that) I also have a bottle jack rated at 10-12 tons. Also, I have the 25' hose with conectors, a air blower, a needle scraper, and an air chuck. I carry two cresent wrenches, one small, 5" and one slightly larger, a 9-10". I also carry 'Gorilla Duct Tape" and a stick for fuel level readings. Two flashlights, and a gascan of the 5 gallon variety, though I'm still needing to get a jerry can and spout and re-mount to the fender as it was. I couple cloth rags, an old bathtowel, and a pack of the blue tough paper automotive towels. An assortment of Screwdrivers and a socket set with both SAE and METRIC sockets, allens, and assorted screwdriver/torx/allen little tips 5/16 type for a multi-tip screwdriver type handel dealie. In a small container box I carry a couple spare lightbulbs for the dirrectional and brake/running lights, though I intent to add a headlight to that stash, wraped in foam etc in a small amo can. Above and beyond all that, well I see no need, in that my travels are likely to be no more than a hundered miles or so, mostly in the 20-40 mile range, close to home. Almost all the tools I have gotten have been from HF or Tractor Supply, though Walmart seems to have better pricing on some of the tools I can get from them. Ofcourse you get what you pay for, and I at least have enough tools to avert disaster reguardless their origin. These are for both repair at home and abroad. Special tools for rebuilding and such, I have nothing, but have acess to a complete rollaway with every concievable tool, socket, wrench, gizmo, widget ,everything.

Last edited:

StoneMill

Thanks everyone. Read most of these posts already. Seems like most of the tools are pretty standard. Might have to see what Sears has as pig tanks so I can use the deuce comprssor to run my impact. I need to save up for the IR 2135ti impact too.

number9

One thing about tools........ if you spend the money up front to buy GOOD tools, they will most likely last a lifetime. Not saying you have to get Snap-On, MAC everything, that's silly IMO, but get GOOD stuff.

A couple years ago Craftsman had a $5 OFF any item that costs $5 or more coupon promotion. There was no restrictions as per visit, per person, per whatever. $5.50 socket + $5 coupon = CHEAP tools. I loaded up the big US General toolbox I got at Harbor Freight (one of their great items). I got $1.200 worth of tools for about $400 using a couple hundred coupons :-D Doubt we'll ever see that offer again.

Anyway, didn't mean to get off on a tangent. From all I've read the IR impact you mentioned will work for the lug nuts if you feed it enough air and you can use it for everything else you may ever need (I have one of the same ones, but haven't used it yet).

I picked up one of the military geared lug wrenches off ebay. Those are supposed to for sure get stuck lug nuts off. Then I can use the impact above to put them back on with and should be able to get them back off without issue. Also have picked up the 8-point 3" hub nut socket and 1 1/2" and 13/16" square sockets. Plan to order a SAE impact socket set from Grey Pneumatics as well.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are nothing wrong with most Craftsman tools. I've worked in garages and have seen people owe their life to the Snap On man. Snap-On, MAC, Etc. are great tools but not worth what they cost IMO. The only thing I don't like in Craftsman is the screwdrivers. I try to go with Kline screwdrivers when I can.

I have found you can get by on the import stuff in 3/4 drive sockets and wrenches over 1 1/4". I got a set of China 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" wrenches awhile back at Workshop Tools for $70. They have held up well and the whole set cost less than just one of the bigger wrenches from even Craftsman.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty hit the nail on the head...Craftsman tools up through the 1/2 inch drive stuff is good, wrenches and things of that nature are good too. Plus they are easily returnable if one breaks or you just want to get a new one. He also is right about the screwdrivers, Craftsman screwdrivers are crap. This is one area where you absolutely get what you pay for, the Kline screwdrivers are a little more expensive, but they will last a lifetime. I use them daily in an industrial situation, and they are the best screwdrivers I've ever owned. I have some that are almost 20 years old and used very hard, and the strait blades are still in good condition, with crisp square edges, and I have a phillips I've used and abused for the same amount of time, that is still in great shape. These have a lifetime warranty as well, although I've never had to use it yet.

Just my 2cents

trog

I avoid the combination lug nut impact socket intended to fit both inside and outside nuts. It will not connect with either nut completely, so the nuts get damaged. Separate sockets cost just a little more.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I avoid the combination lug nut impact socket intended to fit both inside and outside nuts. It will not connect with either nut completely, so the nuts get damaged. Separate sockets cost just a little more.
Maybe I have a different socket than you do but I've used a combo socket for years with good results. Fit both nuts fine and connect all the way. All the tire shops I've been to use the combo socket also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks