• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bad head gasket ???

Bill W

I'm perplexed( had to look that word up)

I have oily snot running down side of block and also out the turbo elbow., at first it looked like it might be coming from #1 cyl exhaust so I thought ( hopefully) that maybe injector was not working/spraying correctly so I changed it out with one of the nos ones I have, I ran it today down the block and back and its still weeping down the block and out my turbo exhaust elbow to which first led me to believe it might be injector failure, I will say when the truck is running that the exhaust it pretty clear even at long idle. When I pulled the old injector the nozzle had soot ( of course) on it but it was dry soot. It looks like I have the original "Black" head gaskets which don't have the weep/slobber vents in it like the later orange/red ones do. So I'm thinkin bad head gasket and maybe bad turbo bearing seal????

Attachments

Last edited:

stumps

Sounds like plain old slobber.

MF engines don't like being idled, or run under temperature for long periods of time. If you idle a lot, any place your exhaust system has a tiny insignificant leak, it will ooze black sooty slobber.

The way you can tell the difference between slobber and oil is: slobber dries out to a flat black stain, oil stays shiny, and spreads.

Also, nothing is supposed to leak from your head gaskets ever. The slot in some head gaskets is there to give the gases that blow out when you blow a head gasket a safe path out of the block. If the gasket blows into the cooling jacket, your radiator may burst, but more likely the coolant will be blown out of the system.. The gasket "vent" allows you to limp home on 5 cylinders, rather than be stopped dead on the side of the road with an overheated engine.

-Chuck

Last edited:

Bill W

If thats the case then I won't worry to much about it, Heck I must have been very lucky with my last deuce as it did not do any of what I'm seeing here and it was a C model also.
Thanks for the input

Bill W

Beautiful engine- nice whistler!
Thanks but don't let the pic's fool ya, I had so much of the bolt on stuff removed to do repairs I decided to give her a quick paint job.
She's quite the whistler, makes me glad I have a hard top:wink:

Keith_J

Well, it looks like slobber from the exhaust manifold gasket. This won't do too much, just keep note of it and if the leak lets significant exhaust leak, then replace. You might try putting torque to the bolts but be careful, looks rusty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks