• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Road Trip DFW to Chester IL DEC 26-JAN 9

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you spray any lube on the rubber, or just pound it out dry? Any lube to reinstall it?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today, finished up the generator install, and added a lift gate.
(video) [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjgtGypXiQ[/media]

more wiring and some fuel line plumbing to do, and some work to repair and clean the gate, as well as add yet another major component.

The drooling lamp is lit. ;-)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So is it going to be able to tilt up when not in use, or is it just going to hang out there? Man this is really comming together! I got so much loaded in the trailer to head towards Brians, that I decided I need to build a rack system for it. Tomorrow will be wood shop day for ole' Gimp. Then I will finish packing the deuce, do some laundry, and head out.

54reo

So is it going to be able to tilt up when not in use, or is it just going to hang out there? Man this is really comming together! I got so much loaded in the trailer to head towards Brians, that I decided I need to build a rack system for it. Tomorrow will be wood shop day for ole' Gimp. Then I will finish packing the deuce, do some laundry, and head out.
It will fold up and tuck under the rear platform.

I really am going to owe you big time Gimp! I appreciate all that you are doing.

54reo

No worries, I can't wait to get out there and wrench & hang out.
Unfortunately, I will be back at work starting Monday for 10 hours a day. I will be in the shop at 1830 hours each evening though.

Plenty of PBR in the fridge too!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
geez it is freakin cold here. 7 degrees this morning once the sun came up. Today the next major component will arrive and be set in place.

Also, the rear deck of the lift gate will be replaced as it was rusty and bent due to a few small cars destroying themselves into it over the years it was on the donor vehicle. We tested it and it works real well. It's a MAXON brand. We found that its stroke let it come up higher than the original rear deck before coming up against its natural stopping point. The result was the pump did not strain at the end like they will in most applications, so we are going to try and have it work like that.

We will need to stack two "2x4" planks on each frame rail to improve the clearance and allow plenty of axle articulation. Luckily Brian has two 2x12 oak planks we can rip and coat with linseed oil. It is really a shame to sacrifice these because they are from the original construction of the building the family restaurant is in, he found them in the attic at one point. I'd say they are definitely seasoned. The M8109 will gain some history and character from these components!

With this height, the vehicle should be 141", minus the stock plank used in the M109, plus 3" for the stacked 2x oak planks. So maybe just less than 144".

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have only one question! How is the pizza? I'm dying to try the family recipe but being so far away limits my ability!

tm america

looks like an interesting project .is the gen a diesel gen so it can run off the same tank as the truck engine.gotta love lift gates are you gonna be able to have a hitch on there with the lift gate

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really love the pizza. Fresh and hot and the steam rising as you open the box! The sauce is the best -home made and hearty, the dough is made right there and is just right and not at all greasy like most pizzas, and there is no skimping on the very farm-fresh and toppings including the cheese which is special and comes from many miles away! This is Marcello's Italian Restaurant in Chester, IL.

The genset will use the same tank as the truck.

I do not think this will be top heavy, as the chassis weighs 22,000 by itself with the tires. The M109 chassis is about 12,000 lbs and the M109 is 130" tall, so this is 13-14"taller, just 10%, yet most of the weight is still low.

Today there are not too many pics because we worked on a lot of little details necessary to be done before the box is set in place. Working on the fuel lines for the truck and genset, the electrical wiring, replacing a brace on the lift gate and getting rid of those beat-up outriggers, repairing the hardtop as it has a few pinholes (cold use a better one) and also adding braces for the genset mounting as well as slightly moving one air tank. A lot of wrenching and torching and bending tubing and pulling hoses. Brian's dad, Big Al, he is the expert on wood and you can see the fine aged 2x10 oak timbers being precision cut for use. These were planed as well, and stacked with a coat of glue between and many screws countersunk inside to hold them. One picture shows the skid plate for the space under the genset with the larger cutout there for reaching in and changing the oil as necessary. This whole thing ought to be in MVM or maybe some extreme 4x4 rag.

I should also add in case no one has figured it out, the days here in this work are 12-14 hours each. Not complaining, this is the most fun ever, but it is more than I am used to!

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks