• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy Radio question

USMCsniperSEAL

I have a few new guy questions in the radio field and was wondering if some of you guys could anwser some questions? Let first of say I was planing on mounting three types of radios in my M1009 (which I still need to get). I was planing on mounting a Scanner, a CB radio, and a military radio system. My question is with the military radios. Do you need a HAM license to operate one of the military radios, like the RT-524 and the RT-442 series? And what componets do I need to have to utilize these radios to their maximum perforemance? I get so confused when I see all the amps, radio mounts, anntennas, and mounts as to which one I would need. The only thing I have used was a PRC-119 series radio both vehicle mounted and pack mobile as well as the PRC-148 MBITR and the VIC headsets. Any information or web links would be greatly appreciated.

wsucougarx

You need a Ham license to transmit on the RT-524 (receiver and transmitter). The R-442 (R=receiver)is just a receiver only. The family of radios you are looking for are known in the VRC-12 family. Do a search and you'll find all kinds of goodies.

Wile E. Coyote

Here on Steelsoldiers in the Files section and elsewhere, I think, are the installation instructions for the VRC-12 series radios in the CUCV family vehicles, so it would be good to start there. Take note of all the cables, mounts etc. you need and start shopping. Steve Haney, Fair Radio, Mike Murphy, Pvt Jarhead etc. are all good sources for that VRC-12 family stuff (Google search for the various contact information), and if you've got the bucks be advised that there are installation insctructions for the SINCGARS radios in at least the M1009 floating around as well.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Mike pointed out, you need the ham license to transmit, but, you can then only transmit on the ham band(s) covered by the radio, whatever it is. In the case of the low band VHF type mil radios, they only cover one ham band, 6 meters, between 50 and 54 MHz. Within that band there are limited frequencies where FM is used, and the FM from the MIL radios will be wideband but hams use narrow band now. Also, most of the MIL radios step in 50 kHz steps so a frequency like 52.525 MHz is not tunable. That's significant because 52.525 is the national calling frequency for FM on that band, that is, the place you might expect to find someone to talk to. (The PRC-119 does have 25 kHz steps). Mil radios typically don't have split frequency capabilities so working 6m repeaters gets complicated.

Bottom line is that if you want a 'usable' radio, then get a ham license and a ham transceiver. If you want a MIL transceiver to talk to a buddy who also has a MIL transceiver, unlicensed, then better stay off the ham bands because "those guys" will track you down. LOL. If you happen to pick another 'wrong' frequency, the other guys, the bad ones going by "FCC" will chase you down.

A MIL radio for authenticity is still a great thing. These old trucks make wonderful radio shacks!

Have fun,

Bob (one of 'those guys') WB4ETT

I have a few new guy questions in the radio field and was wondering if some of you guys could anwser some questions? Let first of say I was planing on mounting three types of radios in my M1009 (which I still need to get). I was planing on mounting a Scanner, a CB radio, and a military radio system. My question is with the military radios. Do you need a HAM license to operate one of the military radios, like the RT-524 and the RT-442 series? And what componets do I need to have to utilize these radios to their maximum perforemance? I get so confused when I see all the amps, radio mounts, anntennas, and mounts as to which one I would need. The only thing I have used was a PRC-119 series radio both vehicle mounted and pack mobile as well as the PRC-148 MBITR and the VIC headsets. Any information or web links would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

USMCsniperSEAL

So basicly I can get a HAM license and talk to anyone I want to on that radio system. Or I can not get a license and have to stay off the HAM freqs is how i understand it. So what are the HAM freqs I need to stay off of?

wsucougarx

Well there are 3 levels of Ham license and each of those licenses dictate which frequencies you can use. By law you just can't get on there and transmit on any station you want to. No license then no transmitting on any HAM freq. The allowable HAM freq are covered in the materials you need to study for the license. That's one of the main reasons someone needs to take the exam:wink:

wsucougarx

Here's the site you'll want to visit. These guys write the question for the exam. The exam is given by fellow Ham volunteers local to your area. Goto AMAZON.com and buy their study guides and test question pool book.
ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page

Here are the levels
Beginners------------Technician Level
Intermediate---------General
Advanced------------Extra

as you increase levels so do your privileges

Last edited:

Csm Davis

not a good idea

So basicly I can get a HAM license and talk to anyone I want to on that radio system. Or I can not get a license and have to stay off the HAM freqs is how i understand it. So what are the HAM freqs I need to stay off of?
No you can not just talk on the military frequencies if you get caught they will be very rough to deal with, and the ham frequencies have a little less fine but not much! Get a ham license and stay off the military freq's.

ONTOS66

The manuals for this series of radios are available for download in the "Resources" area at the top of the screen. Look for the: TM 11-5820-401-xx manuals.

The attached drawing is from an installation kit and will give you some ideas regarding installation of antennas, radios, etc.

The VRC-12 family equipment is available all over the place - miliitary collector shows, ebay, internet, people on SS, etc. Do a google for VRC-12, or specific pieces of equipment. Some suppliers include mike murphy (california), fair radio supply, etc. All carry bits and pieces.

You MAY NOT transmit on any frequency covered by these radios with out the proper license. The ham Technician license would be sufficient to use these radios on the designated ham bands. However these radios do not work with other non-military ham gear. You won't be able to access a repeater operated by a ham club, as one example.

Good luck, think green!

Attachments

HORNETD

The fines for unlicensed transmissions start at five thousand and can be as much as fifteen thousand dollars for each day in which the violation continues to occur. If the offender is an individual the FCC usually will settle for around $7500 unless they determine that the violation was willful. Accidentally transmitting outside the frequency band you are licensed for would get you a warning but get caught doing it again and it is willful. Any transmission at any normal power level on an ex military radio would require a license or a federal radio authorization that they give to government employees who need to use radio in there work. The code requirements having been dropped there is no reason not to get a license.
--
Tom W3TDH:)

stocksj

I'm looking at getting a PRC-25 or 77 one day to use for general contacts on the mil freq but and not touching anything other than CB until I get my tech license. That's not to say you can't listen to Hams talk. Illeagal transmissions on radios are not worth the trouble.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Jim

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just remember as a ham license holder that there is a BAND PLAN. In other words, hams are allowed to transmit only in certain frequency bands. Military radios may cover this band, and lots more. For example: the RT-524 transmits from 30 MHz to 75.95 MHz. As a ham license holder, you may ONLY transmit in the 6-meter band, from 50-54 MHz. So, there is a lot of transmit range on the RT-524 that you may NOT transmit on. It is all a matter of following the rules and guidelines set forth by the FCC. Use it right, and you'll have fun. Misuse it, and you'll lose it.

More info on the ham radio band plan can be found here:

Band Plan

mistaken1

Most all radio frequencies in the US are licensed. You cannot transmit on them without the proper license and proper equipment (type certified).

There are exceptions, the most notable being CB and FRS (still requires type certified equipment).

There are other frequencies like WIFI, cordless phones and garage door openers that do not require licensees but still require type certified equipment.

You can listen all you want, just don't transmit without the proper license and equipment. If transmitting is in your blood become a HAM.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks