• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wright Patterson Recovery

topgun217

Making a recovery trip to Wright Patterson this week, I'm willing to take addtl. photos for anyone who has a future recovery there if you would like, just send me a p/m with what I'll be looking for.

topgun217

319 , I'll be at WPAFB on Thrusday, I'll try and send lavarok a p/m and let him know. I spoke with G/L Andrew today and everything all set. Wife just told me the four letter word is supposed to start here Friday afternoon and end on Saturday, 4 to 8"'s of the white stuff; at least I'll have the 1009 home by then and maybe even manage to install new glow plug, and change out all the fluids by saturday so I can have a little fun. This has been one heck of ride...dealing with G/L and the euc...

N1265

4 to 8"'s of the white stuff, Are you serious ? Is this what that ground hog predicted ?

Looks like I am going to get a hunting License. this year...

Glad to hear you are getting the M soon, hope the recovery goes well.

topgun217

Just got the p/m from markmontana.

n1265......I think there was a goof.....I just watched "Stan" the weather man and according to him, maybe 2-3", then caught 11, where he says maybe an inch......Oh well....weather men are like politicians, promise you more and actually get less...haha

topgun217

Well we left on our jounrey this morning at 0700, about an hour into our jog we ran into heavy fog near Marion, Ohio and it was sloooow. Arrived at Wright Patterson at 1100 and met with Andrew (tops G/L employee in my book) Looked over the new addition to the family and loaded her up. Since I had my son along with me and him having the O.D. fever more than myself we got to take a little tour of the vehicles there. I never seen a few of the trucks in my career at WPAFB.

Andrew had everything ready and all I had to do was sign on the dotted line, now thats service!

Well once on our way, we decided to stop and grab some grub in Springfield (about 25 miles East of Wright Patt.) We pulled into the lot and the next thing I knew, Tim was yelling for me to come to the back of the flat bed (Oh god ! something happened and it's gonna be bad) Here, there were 2 Columbia Gas employees wanting to know if they could buy my new pride and joy, of course I said n-n-n-n-n-o! Then I just had to ask the question....what are you offering if I said yes? Well, I was offered a few more hundred than I paid for her, so I thought for a (split) second and said nah, she's a keeper!

The rest of the journey home was a little boring, and the gps kept taking us towards I-75 and we wanted to get to S.R. 4 and somehow ended up 30 min. West of where we wanted to be.

Once home discovered that I was provided the ol' gal's last maint. record in 2008, and then saw she was only driven about 200 miles since then. Also my son found a jack, 2 j-handles, two complete set of road triangles, a new fuel filter still in the wrapper, horn button, seat belt extender, fire extinguisher bracket, 2-handsets with about an inch of wire, and the big item.......2 brand new black out lights!

All in all a pretty good day and recovery! Friday is when the real work starts, she didn't start so the batts are a chargin' and all the fluids get changed (yes, they were all full except the fuel tank...3/4!

I do have pics, however for some reason I'm having dificulty uploading them

Last edited:

topgun217

Ok, here we go, another attempt at uploading the pic from the trip to WRight Patt. sorry for the delay... Ok great the took this time. The pics of the Apache and the wall are from the VFW in Marion Ohio, my son saw the bird and he had to stop and grab a photo op! I will post more and better pics, however due to memory issues on the computer, not my memory, it may take a bit sp forgive me.

I did want to pass along some interesting info. I ran into a friend who has it from a very,very reliable sourse that when 99% of the DMRO vehicles are recieved, they have been fully serviced or near 100% serviced by the Guard, or which ever branch they are from providing there are funds and part to to it! In my case I questioned the new front tires, starter, and 1 alternater as well as transmission fluid and according to him after looking, misc. newer parts like the rear black out lights. I know the truck came from the Ill. Nation Guard since there was plenty of paper left in it with just about everyones names and the Unit. Thanks guys for a great truck.

We finally had a chance to start her up today after replacing 22 gal. of old fuel, and new glow plugs, and two new batts. 4 th. try at starting and she purred like a tiger, let her sit and run a bit to burn off any left over old fuel, and the next time she started right up. Now to install a new heater blower and wiper blades and I believe we're ready for snow and cold.! Still keeping my finger crossed though.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NIce truck! Did you start it? Drive it?
I wonder why it has the speed control on the engine. Usually those are found on the M1031 Contact Maintenance trucks.

topgun217

Yup, she purred like a tiger. My mechanic buddy is gonna have to tweak one of the front brake calipers due to it sticking,
and make a few minor go-overs before the drive tomorrow. Bobby's pretty safety concious plus he has been reading the TM's I downloaded ...But she starts and that was a big plus. He did notice the speed control and said he was gonna read more tonight.

acmunro

NIce truck! Did you start it? Drive it?
I wonder why it has the speed control on the engine. Usually those are found on the M1031 Contact Maintenance trucks.
My thought exactly. If you don't need it and want to sell it I have a M1031 that is missing it.

topgun217

I don't have a problem with that, however Bob is bidding on one or planning to do so very soon. He had me looking
at several at wright patt. plus take pics for him, he has a towing buss. and when I showed him the G/L site he was kinda
awe struck and ....well....he's got the o.d. fever! Plus we worked out a barter system with each other. I'll let you know later this week

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to hear it runs good. I'm sure you'll enjoy driving it.
Can't imagine needing the speed control in an M1009. Maybe the engine was pulled from an M1031.
Are the white wires connected to anything in the cab?
Post more pics of the interior including the left side of the dash.

topgun217

Just got back from the maiden voyage! Man does she ride nice! Clean smooth shifting, 4x4 works great in 8" of snow! I still grinning and all warm and fuzzy inside! I took the wife as well and darned if I saw a smile on her face a time or two. THe 1009 took 22 gallons of fuel, and put in a small bottle of Lucas for 25 gal. All in all a great night out!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks