• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

upgrading the LDT/LDS air compressor

jesusgatos

I've been talking with the guys at Bendix about replacing the air compressor with something that puts out a bit more air. I found a Midland part number someone posted on here as: MS-51322-1, but a cross-reference search on Haldex doesn't turn up any results. Is that the right part number? I can't find any part numbers or markings on my air compressor. Can anybody help me out? I need to find out what Bendix air compressor is a bolt-in replacement so that Bendix can help me figure out whether we can replace it with anything bigger/better.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to consider just getting a gas compressor. Deuce works for running air tools once in a while, or while broke down. Running for long periods of time with no load will have the truck slobbering oil. Less wear and tear on the truck.

Dennis

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might want to consider just getting a gas compressor. Deuce works for running air tools once in a while, or while broke down. Running for long periods of time with no load will have the truck slobbering oil. Less wear and tear on the truck.

Dennis

I got one in the classifieds. Will deliver 16.3 CFM at 175 PSI. $500 and it's yours!!

terrynash

Here's da poop on this puppy. :cool:
NSN 2530-00-863-3155 Air compressor 7.250 cfm per minute
Midland Brake P/N N5408-A
Haldex Brake Products P/N N-7502-E
Bendix Corp. P/N TU-FL)400

jesusgatos

Dennis
Thanks, but space is at a premium in my truck and trailer, so if I'm looking to consolidate things wherever I can. Realistically, I won't be using air for long stretches of time very often. It's more of a 'need it when I need it' kind of thing. It would be too easy for me to fill my whole trailer with tools and spare parts, but I'd have no room to haul any toys around with me and then what's the point? I'm building a rig to live/travel in, so I want to have a good selection of tools with me, but that's a slippery slope...

I found some info on the NSN for the one that's linked on ebay above. It looks like it puts out 7.25 CFM at 1250 RPM.

2530-00-863-3155, MIL-DTL-45334, MS51322-1, N 5408-A, N-7502-E, TU-FLO 400
Thanks. That's good info to have.

I got one in the classifieds. Will deliver 16.3 CFM at 175 PSI. $500 and it's yours!!
Thanks, but I don't have room for that. Bendix makes some engine-mounted compressors that look pretty similar to the stock deuce compressor that put out about 14-16cfm, but evidently those air compressors are only rated for a 25% duty-cycle so it's better, but not as good as a dedicated compressor like what you've got.

Here's da poop on this puppy. :cool:
NSN 2530-00-863-3155 Air compressor 7.250 cfm per minute
Midland Brake P/N N5408-A
Haldex Brake Products P/N N-7502-E
Bendix Corp. P/N TU-FL)400
Thanks! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. I've forwarded this to Bendix and my contact is going to talk to the engineers about whether we might be able to adapt any of their other compressors to this application. We just needed to know what the stock bendix compressor part number is.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Should be interesting to see what they come back with. Dunno if it would help, but in alot of trucks, the power steering pump is built into(or piggy back on) the air compressor. Wonder if they will come back with one of those units as an option. You could run your own "jaws of life"!

jesusgatos

I've only seen gear-driven power-steering pump/air-compressor combos. Do they actually make those for V-belt applications? Seems like you'd smoke the belt pretty quick! I'm going to have an LDS power-steering pump in Mah Deuce, but it would be cool to know there's another option out there.

jesusgatos

Well, I've got some more info. That Midland part number that terrynash gave us was an OEM part number. The Midland part number for aftermarket air compressor (same unit) is KN7010X. I got all this info from Larry at Bendix (he's part of their tech team, and was really helpful). Anyway, he told me that Bendix make an air compressor that would bolt right up and puts out 13.5cfm! Here's a link to some more info about that compressor (Tu-Flo 550). Larry told me that the part number we need is: 06205. Haven't checked prices yet.

jesusgatos

Just talked to someone else that suggested a Tu-Flo 750 unit might also fit, and those put out 16.5cfm. Will post back when I find out for sure. Going to be expensive in either case. I've been told that remanufactured units cost over $1000 (without a core to exchange).

clutchdump

I'm new, so go easy on me... I'm also looking to run pneumatics off of the gladhand, primarily just an air chuck for tires... I was looking, and couldn't I just tap another larger tank in? Would this affect air pressure in anyway? I was thinking about a 20 gallon tank I have that was on an old Crapsman compressor I could just bolt to the bed... Also, if anyone wants a cool little trick I've been tinkering with, I took an old Ammo box, bolted it in the sideways position to the underside of the bed to hold my airchuck and some other misc. parts (bungee cables, duct tape, gloves)...Also making a kind of center counsol out of another one for other stuff (ipod, headphones, phone, house keys... stuff I dont like sitting on, and really don't like floating and rolling around the cab... Neat little project that throws some people for a loop

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jesse, I run air tools off of my M35 alot. I got a 12 gallon portable air tank and plumbed it into the line. I then set the engine RPM's at 1500. I have enough power to run my 3/4 drive impact to remove all 6 lugnuts. The engine will refill the air tanks while i'm moving the tire or what ever elso i'm working on. I also painted the truck this way. No it can't supply air constantly but with a little patence it can handle the job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks