• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Employee Damages My M1009 & Insists I Pick It Up

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After enough calls and default fees they will more than likely void the sale and give you all your money back. I've seen this happen before and after a bunch of BS everybody I've heard of that wanted their money back got it settled.

You basicly have two options. Go pick it up and accept the damages or leave it there and let the claim process slowly work it's way through the system.

If you got a good price on the truck, and the damage is not so extensive it can not be repaired, id say first get some kind of partial refund and take the truck. If they wont play ball make sure to ask about if they will ban you from bidding.

Stratoghost

I am sorry I did not see your post earlier, but I was anticipating it.

I was the one there that day.

Here is my account of what transpired that day:

After you left, the GL guy said that he had to move a M1009 out of the way in order to get to mine. He got his Big Loader (don't know what its really called) and backed it up to your vehicle. He stated that he would not use the one remaining tow hook on the front of your vehicle as it would pull it at an angle. He then proceeded to lay down on the pallet that was underneath the front of the vehicle with the chain he had brought. I assumed that he was wrapping it around the axle, because that's what I would have done. He then asked if I could steer it and apply the brakes if necessary. I agreed to do that. He gave me the set of universal keys and instructed me to make sure it was in neutral. I got in the vehicle, inserted the keys, unlocked the steering and put it in neutral. When he started pulling it, I noticed that it wasn't steering. I waved at him to stop. Then I noticed that the emergency brake had been applied and unlocked it. When I stepped out of the vehicle I noticed that he had pulled the vehicle approximately 10 feet thru the mud and that the steering linkage had been bent. I told him that the emergency brake had been applied and that the steering linkage had been bent. I pointed out to him the way the tires were now angled inwards. I stated that the owner was not going to like it and would probably now have trouble getting it on a trailer. He did not seem overly concerned. He said that we still needed to get it pulled further out of the way. I got back in and he pulled it another 20 or so feet.

After seeing what happened to your vehicle, I quickly went to the rear of my vehicle, figured out how to remove the tow hooks and placed them in the front. After he pulled my vehicle out of the mud, I lined the trailer up to my vehicle. He then told me that he would use his big loader to push my vehicle onto my trailer as it was getting late and he had to close the yard. It was around 2:30pm. He used his big loader to push my vehicle onto my trailer, crushing the exhaust in the process. As soon as I got the 1st strap on, he told me I would have to pull out of the yard and finish strapping it down as he had to close the yard. I did so and he left.

It is my opinion that the GL guy was simply in a big hurry to get off work and was not willing to take the time to do things right. It would not have been difficult to put another tow hook on the front to tow yours. I assumed that the GL guy knew what he was doing.

I am sorry that I did not notice the emergency brake. I never apply the emergency brake on a vehicle with an automatic transmission just to park it, so it was a bit of a shock to me.

Please PM me if you need anything else.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well it boils down to one thing.. is it still worth what you paid for it.. that part might be 100.00 or so.. i havnt bought front end parts in 20 years ..

lilymonster

A new steering column from a junkyard is $50. You might even be able to score big and find a tilting one for a new bucks more. So, just write it off to "sh*t happens" and move on. That is what I would do. GL is a pain to deal with, truly a backward organization from my experience with them. Go pick up your truck, write a nasty letter to the head of GL and so the idiot who dragged it gets punished and it doesn't happen to someone else.

Farmun

I don't think a bent steering linkage is worth a long drawn out battle - but that's just me. I would take off a linkage from one of the trucks you already brought home and swap it out until you get this one home.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds alot better than a bent driveshaft & crushed exhaust from the typical hilo crap.

drag link and /or tie rods for what is probably one of the most common vehicles on the road in this country. are not very expensive or hard to replace.

Sure GL should know that their bubba is a moron, but If it were me I'd go get my truck, unless you don't want it for some other reasons, then you have an out.

HeadWizard

Thanks everyone for your input on the ease of steering repair - I agree. I own a shop, so no big deal. I don't want to invest the day off and the expenses to find out it is a more major problem.

They have changed their minds and allowed me to leave the 1009 at the site until the claim is resolved. I'll still probably get screwed.

Cigarjoe

Stuff getting f...ed up on DRMO yards is a fact of life. Y'all know that.
I have nothing but trouble out of the GL guys in Richmond, the other guy that was there before past away and these other guys just don't care. When I was there recovering a truck I watch the GL guy slam into the side of two already paid for trucks and dent the piss out of them as he lifted them to move them. All he did was just smile big and kept on going like nothing happened. The manager down there gave me basically two days from the time I received my EUC to remove the truck because it was the end of the year and he wanted it off his books.

HAWKMAN

Unfortunatly this is why all the "buyer loads" in the descriptions Im sure sooner than later we will no longer have any assistance from them at all getting trucks on trailers.Its just corporate america at its finest hire at the lowest wage we can then make a person do three peoples work until they are so fed up with it they no longer care about their job and your property.I see it at work everyday I work for a company that was owned by two brothers who I am personal friends with it was a great place to work while they owned it I was hired 21 years ago we have been bought out by three different corporations in all the years I have been here its the worst Ive ever seen it.
Not to change the topic of this tread but ranchhopper is absolutley correct, most, if not all, of 'corp America' is a greed driven enterprise that only the higherups benifit from. I worked in a small family owned business for 15 years. About 8 months before the owner was to retire and pass the business to his nephew he stopped any benefits I had then proceded to put me through **** until he fired me saying, " your not working out here" they then hired a guy 10years younger than me at $200.00 a week less.......so much for employie loyalty.....I would imagine they have quite a turnover of employees at GL so with each new group the pride of doing a good job decresses and you end up with what we have now....the same attitude you see on TV...the who gives a poop attitude.......sad....I love my country but we are in trouble..........2cents

kenny

Thanks everyone for your input on the ease of steering repair - I agree. I own a shop, so no big deal. I don't want to invest the day off and the expenses to find out it is a more major problem.

They have changed their minds and allowed me to leave the 1009 at the site until the claim is resolved. I'll still probably get screwed.
You Own A shop?

I would have just taken the truck and when i got back to the shop I would remove the bent drag link, put it in my Axle press and bend it back.

Now that is just me and what I would do.

I would not chace getting black listed or something like that.

It does sound like the guy that wraped the chain was a Dum A$$ and should not have the job that be does.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunatly this is why all the "buyer loads" in the descriptions Im sure sooner than later we will no longer have any assistance from them at all getting trucks on trailers.
I agree but how are you going to get your item if another one is parked in front of it (as was the reason why the damaged truck was moved)?

If at all possible I won't let the GL yard guys touch my items. I winched the last M1008 I bought at Redstone onto my trailer with a come-a-long in the 100deg Alabama sun while the GL guy was standing there begging me to let him push it on the trailer with his forklift. I said, thanks but no thanks, you already have done enough damage to the driveshaft when you unloaded it.

stump

I have removed 4 items from the Richmond site. They do lift the trucks up and bend driveshafts and put dents in the trucks . They ary also much nicer and more helpful than the d!ck knogen at camp Lejeune. I will keep going to Richmond, theytreat me better.

HeadWizard

The M1009 is still in Richmond and the claim has been filed....................................
................................................... where did the darn popcorn smiley go?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMJ ate it all! aua

HeadWizard

GL does surprise us sometimes, don't they?

AMAZING!!!!! :-D

3 days from emailing in a claim to GL and I get back a very polite email that says:

"Dear Customer,

RE: Claim Sale 4878 Lot 5863

Thank you for your patience while this claim was being assessed. Based upon the related research in this matter, Government Liquidation has approved the following.

A full refund in the amount of $xxxxxx .........."

UNBELIEVABLE. I still am truing to figure out how they acted so quickly and didn't come back with a bunch of questions? I suppose I need to reply with a thank you email?

Now I'll just wait and see if my acocunt stays active :shock:

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks