• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different style cab/cargo cover hooks

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The bed on my A2 dump conversion truck is trashed so I bought a nicer A3 bed for it. The A3 already has clearance lights and cargo tie downs, saving me from having to install them on an A2 bed.

But I notice the A3 bed has the cab cover style retention hooks on the front. This isn't uncommon on beds, I have seen a lot where the original cargo cover style hooks were damaged and replaced with cab cover hooks. So when I bought the bed, I just planned on having to grind them off (they're welded) but looking closer at them, they appear to be factory installed.

I looked at all the A3's on primeportal's site and they all have the cargo cover hooks on the front.

So 2 questions:

1. Are these correct? Were A3 beds made both ways?
2. Can I use these with the vinyl (rubberized) cover? Or will I need to replace them with the correct cargo cover hooks?

Thanks fellas.

C

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if they were correct, but they were also on my M35A3. Yes, they work just fine with the rubberized ropes. I had a cargo cover on my A3 and it fit fine.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You really only need the "pigtail" version for tops with the rope. I like the cab style better as they are stronger.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, is it safe to think that the "pigtail" hooks (round rod), came before the "single hooks"(flat metal)" ie,manila and nylon rope came before super rope(rubber) and the hooks were designed for the rope of the time?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A am by far not a historian. In my experiance, they were both out at the same time. I can only say that the oldest truck I own is a 53 and it has pigtails on the bed and flat hooks on the cab.

runk

My a2 (which has a '51-'52 frame, a gasser cab, and bed with about the same number of welded in patches as the cab) has 3 welded on wire type hooks towards the rear of each side, 2 bolted flat metal ones towards the front of the sides, and one of each type on each side of the front (3 bolted and one riveted). I suspect as they broke, bent, rusted, etc. they were replaced with what was handy...