• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

so I bought this turbo setup on ebay...

kapnklug

...for $615, it's off a '93 6.5 and seems pretty complete (I've included the description that came with it at the bottom of this post). I've read T_F_E's excellent turbo-install thread, but I still have a few questions maybe you guys could help me with (it's going on a '86 M1009 with 40k miles):
1. What should my boost pressure be, like 10P PSI? Is the mechanical waste gate adjustable? Where's the best place to tap into the intake for the boost gauge tubing (maybe there's a port made for this?)
2. I'll be installing a pyrometer. Where should I weld in the bung for the thermocouple -- just past the driver's exhaust manifold, or in the downpipe after the turbo? Max exhaust temp is what, around 1100deg?
3. I'll be turning up the fuel delivery in the IP. While the top of the engine is apart, should I also install 6.5 marine injectors? Cost is a factor here, but so is the labor of taking it all apart again if I change my mind. I'm already using a Walbro FRB-22 electric fuel pump and pre-filter near the tank.
4. Does anyone make a 4" exhaust kit for the rest of the single exhaust?
Will the crossover pipe from the '93 work on the '85, with a 3" lift?
5. I guess I'll have to move one or both batteries to clear the turbo and airbox?
Any other suggestions/concerns would be appreciated. Here's the original Ebay description:

Here is a Complete Turbo install kit to convert a Non-Turbo 6.2 or 6.5 to Turbo, I will list each item and P/N's. Some pn's maybe old, I got the P/N from
compnine.com. The parts all came from a 1993 GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel, Block code J, I have mutiple other parts available!
The Gm-3 turbo is not rebuilt and does not need to but but I can if that is what you want (150.00) rebuilding charge!

Intake: Turbo: Exhaust:
12556527 Lower Intake Man. 10226226 GM-3 Borg-Warner Turbo 10191474 Exhaust cross over pipe
10226227 Upper Intake w/o Sensor no P/N 90 degree turbo to exhaust 12557359 Exh manifold LH
10154653 Hose and clamps Up. Int. to Turbo. 10223559 Turbo heat shield 12556476 Exh manifold RH
no P/N Upper Intake Cover (Turbo Power) 10222297 Turbo brace to intake No P/N (2) Heat Shields for RH Exh.
25098524 Air filter Box w/o filter 10222296 Turbo brace to intake No P/N (2) Heat shields for RH glow plugs
10154603 CDR hose to Turbo duct 12563904 Turbo Oil return tube/hose No P/N (1) RH valve Cover
25098706 CDR valve 10149659 Turbo oil ret. plate to engine No P/N (1) Turbo exhaust downpipe w/clamp
10154654 CDR Valve and tube to turbo 12562378 Turbo oil Supply hose No P/N (Oil fill tube)
25170522 90 degree Duct Air Filt. to turbo No P/N RH bracket on Valve Cover supports the upper heat shield.

Included with the parts is bags of almost every bolt needed to Install the kit . The Turbo turns freely and waste gate is also fuctional.
The bolts are separated by groups Intake, Exhaust, oil drain plate to the block
You would need: intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, turbo to manifold gasket, turbo oit drain gasket , exhaust manifold seals,.

southdave

you will be fine with 2.5 or 3" exhaust. I belive the calc. for boost and exhaust press. is in the range of this. also the GM turbo Conver. on a 6.2 will run better on the outside of the frame, I am told. Ebay has the down pipe and crossover pipes

ODdave

wow, didnt realize that set up was worth so much. i have a 92 6.5 with aftermarket heads, hi-po marine nozles and 4in exhaust that i ran in my 1028 until i decided i wanted the cummins in there. guess i should pull it out of storage (m35 with a cargo cover lol) and get it up for sale...

to answer a coulpe of your ?'s the crosover will work but you have to change your drrivers side manifold also (flows better n e ways) and as far as the battery trays, i will try to talk a pic of the ones i made. i ran 2 optima's (normal size) and used trays from 90's style trucks (easier to find good ones) tucked them in the right front corner and they worked great. super easy to biuld too.

T_F_E

...for $615, it's off a '93 6.5 and seems pretty complete (I've included the description that came with it at the bottom of this post). I've read T_F_E's excellent turbo-install thread, but I still have a few questions maybe you guys could help me with (it's going on a '86 M1009 with 40k miles):
1. What should my boost pressure be, like 10P PSI? Is the mechanical waste gate adjustable? Where's the best place to tap into the intake for the boost gauge tubing (maybe there's a port made for this?)
2. I'll be installing a pyrometer. Where should I weld in the bung for the thermocouple -- just past the driver's exhaust manifold, or in the downpipe after the turbo? Max exhaust temp is what, around 1100deg?
3. I'll be turning up the fuel delivery in the IP. While the top of the engine is apart, should I also install 6.5 marine injectors? Cost is a factor here, but so is the labor of taking it all apart again if I change my mind. I'm already using a Walbro FRB-22 electric fuel pump and pre-filter near the tank.
4. Does anyone make a 4" exhaust kit for the rest of the single exhaust?
Will the crossover pipe from the '93 work on the '85, with a 3" lift?
5. I guess I'll have to move one or both batteries to clear the turbo and airbox?
Any other suggestions/concerns would be appreciated. Here's the original Ebay description:

Here is a Complete Turbo install kit to convert a Non-Turbo 6.2 or 6.5 to Turbo, I will list each item and P/N's. Some pn's maybe old, I got the P/N from
compnine.com. The parts all came from a 1993 GM 6.5 Turbo Diesel, Block code J, I have mutiple other parts available!
The Gm-3 turbo is not rebuilt and does not need to but but I can if that is what you want (150.00) rebuilding charge!

Intake: Turbo: Exhaust:
12556527 Lower Intake Man. 10226226 GM-3 Borg-Warner Turbo 10191474 Exhaust cross over pipe
10226227 Upper Intake w/o Sensor no P/N 90 degree turbo to exhaust 12557359 Exh manifold LH
10154653 Hose and clamps Up. Int. to Turbo. 10223559 Turbo heat shield 12556476 Exh manifold RH
no P/N Upper Intake Cover (Turbo Power) 10222297 Turbo brace to intake No P/N (2) Heat Shields for RH Exh.
25098524 Air filter Box w/o filter 10222296 Turbo brace to intake No P/N (2) Heat shields for RH glow plugs
10154603 CDR hose to Turbo duct 12563904 Turbo Oil return tube/hose No P/N (1) RH valve Cover
25098706 CDR valve 10149659 Turbo oil ret. plate to engine No P/N (1) Turbo exhaust downpipe w/clamp
10154654 CDR Valve and tube to turbo 12562378 Turbo oil Supply hose No P/N (Oil fill tube)
25170522 90 degree Duct Air Filt. to turbo No P/N RH bracket on Valve Cover supports the upper heat shield.

Included with the parts is bags of almost every bolt needed to Install the kit . The Turbo turns freely and waste gate is also fuctional.
The bolts are separated by groups Intake, Exhaust, oil drain plate to the block
You would need: intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, turbo to manifold gasket, turbo oit drain gasket , exhaust manifold seals,.
10 psi is about all you want to get, there is usually a 1/4 npt port in the top of the upper intake that is perfect for a boost gauge. I like my pyro to be pre turbo, I would never let it get any hotter than 1100. That is a great fuel pump keep it, no leave you injectors alone they will do fine. Start with a 1/4 turn and work from there, mine is bottomed out but results may vary. Exhaust will have to be pretty much custom throughout there is nothing that will bolt on. The lift will help clear the pipe but the two manifolds will still have different sized collectors. Rear battery is in the way. I used two exhaust manifold gaskets on the drivers side so the turbo did not interfere with the long injectors.

Good Luck!

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks