Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: MEP-005 Fuel Injection Pump

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 319 View Post
    . Ended up punching the glass ball out of it and cleaning it real well. Runs like a champ now!
    Can you explain this better, punching the glass ball?

does this mean you removed, cleaned and replaced it or did you completely remove it ?

Thanks Rick

Colonel
    Thanks

Well Some on here just removed the ball. I dont know why but I felt bad destroying the check valve so I just went down to our local auto parts store and bought a brass T and a brass pipe nipple and threaded the fittings from the other T onto it and replaced that entire tee with the new one I made up. But you could just try and destroy the ball in there so that there is no more ball and that would sort of do the same thing just a smaller orifice. IT seems to be running great with the new fitting I made for it though. After It runs for a bit I might try the check valve back in to see if it still is getting clogged up or if somehow all that stuff has purged out through the injectors. Sure seems like debris that is clogging that check valve would be really bad for the injectors as well though but what do I know im no diesel mechanic.

Sergeant
    Thanks

ok great, i just cleaned it and made sure its working good and free, tried to start and still nothing. Im not getting any voltage to the top of the injector cover.

have any ideas if their is a fuse somewhere?

Rick

Colonel
    Thanks

You will not get voltage to the top cover unless you are activly cranking it and then the speed switch kicks in. If you flip the battle short switch on you will get 24 volts to the top cover but cannot turn the motor over with battle short on . But you can test to see if the solenoid is working by putting it in battle short mode and measuring with multii meter.

Did you open up the top cover of the injection pump where the T screws into? YOu need to remove those three bolts holding the cover down and make sure the mechanisms inside there are nice and free.

Lee

4 Star General
    Thanks

One note here, any time you are opening up a cover or removing a line from an injection pump you want as close to clean room conditions as possible, one little fleck of paint in the wrong place can clog an injection pump.

Ike

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leedawg View Post
    You will not get voltage to the top cover unless you are activly cranking it and then the speed switch kicks in. If you flip the battle short switch on you will get 24 volts to the top cover but cannot turn the motor over with battle short on . But you can test to see if the solenoid is working by putting it in battle short mode and measuring with multii meter.

Did you open up the top cover of the injection pump where the T screws into? YOu need to remove those three bolts holding the cover down and make sure the mechanisms inside there are nice and free.

Lee
    Ok great that was the next question and you answered it for me, " when should voltage be present"?

yes I removed the top cover, and cleaned all the parts and got them moving correctly, I put some over the counter diesel injector cleaner straight in and let it sit for a few hours, that seemed to help quite a bit. still kinds rusty looking but alot better. I also cleaned the glass ball in the fitting on the top of the injector cover.

recharging batteries right now, will give it a try later.

Thanks again for all of your help, I think with a little TLC I can bring this unit back to life.

once I get it running good, and if I was to put a axle and tongue on this so it could be easily towed by a pick up truck, what would be a fair selling price ?

Thanks again for all of your help

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    One note here, any time you are opening up a cover or removing a line from an injection pump you want as close to clean room conditions as possible, one little fleck of paint in the wrong place can clog an injection pump.

Ike
    Thanks for the info,

Rick

Sergeant
    Thanks

one more question,

i read in another post that the knurled knob right next to the fuel inlet is a fine adjustment, is this true and how do you adjust correctly?

4 Star General
    Thanks

The knurled knob adjusts the amount of droop when load is applied, inward makes it less sensitive/more droop, outward is more sensitive/less droop, but setting too sensitive causes instability.

Sergeant
    Thanks

ok thanks, I will find a happy medium

Thanks again for all your help,
    you have been approved for a extended weekend pass
    now go enjoy yourself solider.

DISMISSED !!!!

LOL

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast