• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting a Bobbed Deuce

Ridgerunner

I made some good progress this weekend. And let me tell ya, I am sick of drilling holes.

I used all grade-8 bolts/nuts (136 bolts total:shock:) except for only four, 3/8" bolts. I ran out :sad: of grade-8, also used Lock-Tight on all the bolts, because I didn't have any lock-nuts on hand.

Attachments

Last edited:

tuff-truck-guy

man that looks pretty nice and looks much simpiler than a lot of the other lifts i've seen, is this going to be a on road drivable truck? and next question is, how are the brakes "will they stop that monster with the 53's?

Ridgerunner

It's mainly on off road toy, but it does have plates on it. When I bring it to the Silver Lake sand dunes, I'll be trailered there, that way if it breaks (which can happen) I can get it home and won't be stranded there. As for the brakes, we'll see.....

Ridgerunner

Looks good, what about the drive shafts?
I put the driveshafts back in, so I could get a measurement on them after the lift is on now.

I would have thought that the shafts would have been too short after the lift. But the slip yoke extended only about 1 1/2" from its original position. So it looks like I'm good to go, with the stock shafts.:-D

Attachments

gunit

did you build the brackets to put tilt in the axles so the u-joints are in better alignment, and a spacer between the flanges on the the output of the t-case and driveshafts will put the yoke back in its origiinal place.

Jakob

did you build the brackets to put tilt in the axles so the u-joints are in better alignment, and a spacer between the flanges on the the output of the t-case and driveshafts will put the yoke back in its origiinal place.
Just a 1" spacer should be enough I'd think.

Ridgerunner

Where do you get these driveshaft spacers from?

If they're cost effective, I'd consider buying a set. But personally, I'm comfortable with where the slip-yolk is presently at.

blybrook

Great fab work,

I'm not familiar with the deuce shaft length with the slip joint fully extended, but my question has to do with just that. What about when you are flexed during off road use, those shafts will travel some? Are you going to run out of room while having off road fun?

I've seen it happen on other lifted rigs that retained the original shaft. I also know that the deuce doesn't have that much flex (original 3 axle system), so I can't compare it to the bobbed version that has a different suspension (from what I've read).

Ridgerunner

It looks like your useing spring hangers from a m105 trailer in the rear right ?

Vinny
Yes, you are correct.

I figured that, seeings how I bought a M-105 trailer for the box, I might just as well use the springs/hangers that are there on it too. The leaf springs do make it ride fairly nice for a truck this size. Instead of running a 3" to 4" block in the back like most do, when using the trailer springs, I made a "traction lift" to gain the hight that it required. That way I got the hight needed to level it, and at the same time, it should cut down on any spring-wrap, if there is any.

Ridgerunner

Great fab work,

I'm not familiar with the deuce shaft length with the slip joint fully extended, but my question has to do with just that. What about when you are flexed during off road use, those shafts will travel some?
The farm here has an abundance of irragation ditches all around. All sizes, from shallow to deep and narrow to wide. I'll let it crawl through a few and test out the flexabiliaty and see what the shaft slip-yoke is like at full droop. If I need to extend the shafts, I will. Before the lift I assumed I was going to have to lengthen them anyways.

blybrook

The farm here has an abundance of irragation ditches all around. All sizes, from shallow to deep and narrow to wide. I'll let it crawl through a few and test out the flexabiliaty and see what the shaft slip-yoke is like at full droop. If I need to extend the shafts, I will. Before the lift I assumed I was going to have to lengthen them anyways.
Ok, it read that you were going to leave it like it was without flex testing, so I figured I'd ask the question. (I could have read it wrong too, had been a long day...)

Good luck with the remainder of the build, looks like a great project.

Ridgerunner

So have you mounted the big Hydes yet? fat lady sings ..... Lets see some Pics.

I've gotten side tracked over the last week. (been a busy week) So no, I haven't mounted the XZL's yet.

I did start the hub-flip today though:wink: So the 53's should be bolted on over the next few days.

I had rolled the Deuce out of the barn to do some shop cleaning, so here some updated pictures for ya

Attachments

toolman1

Ridgerunner,
I have been watching your progress with great intrest as I'm about to do the same build as your doing and man your design has really got me thinking. I was going to do a double frame but your setup is so much cleaner and looks as if it could be right from the factory. Some great fab work and some really good engineering on your part. How is your steering working are you using the factory setup and did you have to do any mods to get it to work with the 8" lift? Looks good and can't wait to see it with those XZL's under it... [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks