• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

daily driver

randini

Ok I just joined. I want a M35. I want to mostly drive this daily. I know it rides rough, no A/C etc. It just sound like fun! I have a ranch about 100 from my home and can sure use this truck there.
I would like to hear from anyone wo drives one daily. I have a short communte to work and a few misc trips. Most of the threads are negative about daily driving. Am I nuts?

greenjeepster

No they are not bad to drive daily if you build up your biceps first. If you are using diesel in them it will hurt your wallet more than you butt and arms.

randini

At this point in my life, Bad-ass is probably what I'm after. Probably just a mid-life crisis, but yes, i want to dive something different. Hey Bobbed4x4, is that a barrett in your avitar? Cool!

Bobbed4x4

Banned
At this point in my life, Bad-ass is probably what I'm after. Probably just a mid-life crisis, but yes, i want to dive something different. Hey Bobbed4x4, is that a barrett in your avitar? Cool!

Well, yes it is a Barrett. The M82A1 to be exact. Semi-automatic .50 caliber sniper rifle, illegal in California... It actually belongs to a buddy of mine, we took it out one day and shot 55 gallon barrels of water at about 600 yards with it... it's funny watching a rifle making 400 pounds of water jump off the ground! :grd: I'll be getting a new avatar pic when I get my bobbed deuce home, pretty much the same pic, but I want my deuce in the background!

mcmullag

shifty

I used to drive mine to work across town once a month, about 11 miles each way. If you have lots of stop signs or red lights to contend with, its a bummer. From a stop, you're letting the clutch out going into 3rd gear just as you clear an intersection. These things are geared really low (double reduction gears in axles, overal axle ratio = 6.72 to 1 ) . I felt like I was in the way in commuter traffic, everybody trying to get around me, even though I stay in the right lane, can't blame them. Once you are rolling along at 30 or 40 mph, it's just fine.
For going back and forth to work, I would rather be in my automatic trans SUV, listening to the radio and taking it easy. Driving the deuce is work. It will probably be a good investment for having around your ranch, though. :)
I enjoy just walking around my deuce and looking at it, I dont even have to drive it to appreciate this heck of a piece of machinery.

TaylorTradingCo

drive it

I don't drive mine every day, but I love to drive them. Don't listen to all the hype about how hard it is to steer, that's BS. Yeah, it amy be hard to get into a paring space, but as long as you are moving at any speed it is not difficult to steer.

I drove one of my Deuces 200 miles last weekend and loved it. I love the sound they make, especially with a whilster turbo. I love shifting through the gears. I used to drive a big rig and have always enjoyed driving. I like riding up high, seeing everyone look at you. They are just cool, there is no way around it.

It will not be the fastest thing on the road, but it is guaranteed to be the toughest. You could put some bigger tires on it to make it look tougher and go faster. Still your top speed is going to be around 60mph.

I would not recommend it for trips over an hour or two, but for short stuff it is great.

I just bought a 1955 gasser wrecker and drove it home 100 miles over the steepest hills TN has to offer. I love a challenge when driving. A 34,000# vehicle with a 100hp motor and questionable brakes facing 6% nand 8% grades is my kind of fun!

Derek Taylor

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The west Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes the new guy aboard :grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get under way :driver: It's good that you've already got the NUTS part figured out. The MV hobby is like any other addiction - some folks will KNOW you're crazy, and others will just shake their heads at you. Yet others, deep inside, will be ultimately JEALOUS that you have the GUTS to do what YOU WANT TO DO!!!

Haven't had my duece very long, but I have driven it almost every day (Only once to work). I've run errands and taken joy rides and would have NO problem using it regularly. I'm still tweeking the little things that needed to be worked on (see thread link below), but she's road-worthy as is.

My vote is - - - > GO FOT IT :beer::jumpin::cookoo::driver:

mikeroot2

Do it. I drive mine to and from work quite a bit(13 miles one way) stop signs and lights for half of it. I have no problem getting moving. Still faster than most people in my area drive. I find myself waiting on them more than the other way around. The only people you have to worry about are the ones in front of you, let the other ones pass or wait. Put some miles on it near home first to work all the kinks out and HAVE FUN. I've driven my deuce more than my WS6 t/a since I got the big SOB.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recovered mine approx. 1000 miles in 2.5 days. That was cool in its own way. Now I drive it regularly and I find that I like driving Queen Lola the most on rural side roads. I somehow do not enjoy the steady high-rpm run on a rural highway...a little dull, IMHO. 2 hours on narrow, winding unpaved back roads at speeds of up to 30-40 mph - that is fun for me.

I have been considering taking Queen Lola to work, but it is 30 miles one way, main roads where I would be the slow poke in rush hour traffic and then city stop and go and, somehow, I could not convince myself to do it (yet).

I guess you should try driving one daily for a few days and then decide. To me, there is a distinct difference between HAVING to do it (because it is my only means of mobility) and BEING ABLE to do it (as a treat).

63sierra10

I used to drive mine 70+ miles a day when I worked in a bentonite mine. Steering is not bad as long as you are moving. They are slow. Don't be in a hurry to get anywhere. Mine will do 62 max but is a little better at 55 mph. I would drive the heck out of it when you get it. This is a disease known as the "green disease" or aka "ganGREEN".:driver:

wb1895

As long as your trips are short all will be good. I have been using mine as a daily driver for about 2 months. I drive it to work, about 10 miles one way. BUT.......... a long trip IS NOT nice to your rear end ( and i am not talking about the truck :shock:) Last weekend I drove a total of 420 miles round trip in my deuce, all highway, and it was NOT pleasant. I walked away from my deuce after that trip and have not looked at my deuce the same way again. If my deuce was a person, what it did to my rear would have been a crime:shock::shock::shock::shock:.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks