• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing SINCGARS RT-1439/VRC in M35A3 deuce

radix malum

Hello All.

I just purchased an American General M35A3 deuce. Tires' sidewalls were badly dry rotted and one of them ended up blowing during my 2nd trip with the new truck after I got it home. Be very careful of the super single tire conditions for anyone contemplating an M35A3. My guesstimate is that since most of these trucks saw heavy service in the Sandbox, the intense UV light severely damaged the sidewalls on a lot of these tires. Took me a lot of legwork to locate a source of very expensive near-new condition Michelin 14.5 R20s.
Surprisingly, I've never really had a problem with the Vietnam-era tube tires for the M35A2/M109A3s. Go figure!

Anyway.... now that that expense is over with, I'm looking at installing a good condition working SINCGARS RT-1439/VRC radio in the cab of this M35A3.

I have not yet had the pleasure of installing a GI radio in a deuce cab yet so I need baby step Stupid Person Instructions. I own and operate PRC-77 and PRC-68 pack radio HTs so I'm reasonably proficent with the radio theory, just need to know the following:

What model/type of GI radio bracket do I need to mount the SINCGARS RT-1439 radio under the passenger seat?

What cables do I need to connect the radio to power/ground and where do these cables get connected to on the truck?

Please explain how to mount the antenna bases on the outside of the cab and how I connect the antenna lead to the antenna/base.

My intention is to eventually convert all of my 4 military vehicles (two deuces and two British armored cars) to the SINGCARS radio system for functional comms.

Thanks. I apologize for the Stupid Question. I know it's in a tech manual somewhere but between all the permutations of deuce and a halves and military radios I'm not sure exactly what TM I would need for this combination.

Thanks,
Tom
Virginia

FCC License KJ4JWO

Artillery, Class 3 collector
Ferret Mark 2/3
Saladin Mark 2 (with BATFE registered 76mm gun/breech ring)
M109A3 Shop Van "Pandora's Box"
M35A3

radix malum

Mike, thanks so much for the reply.

From the looks of things (owning a few RT524/PRC-77 sets myself), the RT-1439 SINGCARS is externally identical in terms of input connectors and output.

Can you walk me through your RT524 install in the deuce cab? Power/ground cable connections on the truck and antenna base/antenna lead installation are my biggest "unknown".

THANKS!!!!

:beer:

wsucougarx

From the battery I use an older GRC-106 type power cable to my MX-7777B suppressor. From my MX-7777B (has two power outs) I use the CX-13089 power cables. One cable to my AM-1780 VIC-1 Intercom control panel and another cable to my MT-1029 (RT-524 and RT-246 radio mount).
My radio is connected to the AM-1780 via CX-4723 cable. This allows me to listen to the radio while using the intercom system on the road.
The RT-524 and RT-246 radios are connected to the antenna base (MX-6707 antenna matching base) via two cables. The first cable is the standard coax CG-1773. The second cable is a CX-4722. This cable tunes the antenna base to the Freqs on your radio.
The AM-1780 is connected to a series of intercom control boxes throughout the truck. This system allows you to connect upto 4 intercom boxes. These boxes are connected via CX-4723.
The antenna used is known as the AS-1729 (made up of two antenna sections)

MURPYJUNK

http://murphyjunk.bizland.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://murphyjunk.bizland.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1523STK.jpg&target=_self&title=%20%20%20%20%20%20PRC-119%20SINCGARS.%20%20VERY%20USED%20COND.%20$779%20EA.

REASONABLE PRICED SINCGARS RADIOS

Wile E. Coyote

"Reasonable priced" and "SINCGARS Radios"... Now, there are four words I didn't think I'd ever see put together in a sentence! [thumbzup]
Ha. Yes...I was surprised too...but that really *is* a good deal for the RT-1439 version SINCGARS. I'm holding out for an RT-1523 myself, maybe a nice F model that weighs less than a school bus. :wink:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember fielding a whole Brigades worth of the ASIP/F models when I was in the Army. I had litterally a warehouse with pallets upon pallets of them.

Billy Bobbed

From the battery I use an older GRC-106 type power cable to my MX-7777B suppressor. From my MX-7777B (has two power outs) I use the CX-13089 power cables. One cable to my AM-1780 VIC-1 Intercom control panel and another cable to my MT-1029 (RT-524 and RT-246 radio mount).
My radio is connected to the AM-1780 via CX-4723 cable. This allows me to listen to the radio while using the intercom system on the road.
The RT-524 and RT-246 radios are connected to the antenna base (MX-6707 antenna matching base) via two cables. The first cable is the standard coax CG-1773. The second cable is a CX-4722. This cable tunes the antenna base to the Freqs on your radio.
The AM-1780 is connected to a series of intercom control boxes throughout the truck. This system allows you to connect upto 4 intercom boxes. These boxes are connected via CX-4723.
The antenna used is known as the AS-1729 (made up of two antenna sections)
This is what I was looking for,I searched everywhere on here for this kind of write up.Thanks for the info. wsucougarx.Buster is going to give you a kiss.

Attachments

Rustygears

If you are putting an RT1439 in your truck, you must use the 6352 mount. The 1032 while similar, will not work because the AM-7239 will not attach to it.

My A3 came from GL with the sugar scoop, the 6352 mount and the LS671 speaker installed and wired. All they did was remove the AS-3900 antenna base and the actual SINCGARS radios, which I have now replaced.

The sugar scoop is mounted on a small piece of pole that is U-bolted to the bed midway down the truck on the driver's side. The pole section fits within the channel making up the side of the bed 'box'. All I had to do was install the AS-3900A antenna mount/wideband VHF antenna and attach the BNC that was dangling there. .

I bought an RT-1439, the AM-7239E power adapter, the AM7238 power amp and a RT-1523E for the top shelf. The whole system works great on 6M. I'll add a second antenna on the other side of the bed for the 1523E and later add an HF whip on a pole mount setup behind the cab when I get a PRC-138.

Mike Murphy can set you up with the mounts, cables & radios. He's a fair guy and very helpful. There is no need for VIC-1, etc with the 1439. It will work with the LS-621 speakerbox, which I have on my dash and the handset attaches to it. It's a very clean setup with the radio stack under the passenger seat on the floor, as you can see in the picture of the system running in my A3. I also have a KY57 installed.

If you go to the Logsa site, you can find the complete mil installation instructions for M35 for the Sincgars radio set. I'll post the document # tonight. It has a full parts list and step by step instructions.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited:

Rustygears

Sugar Scoop Pix plus install TM #

Below are pix of the stock mil install of my sugar scoop mount as received on my A3. As indicated, the ant mount, cabling, radio mount (6352) and loudspeaker LS-671 were all left intact when the truck was released. I just added the missing adapters and electronics and tuned it all up.

The document for step by step RT-1439 (or 1523) installation in a M35 is TB11-5820-890-20-7. It has parts lists for all cables etc. and tells you where to drill holes, etc.

I notice that the install instructions tell you to mount the VHF antenna on a pole similar to convoy lights behind the cab. My A3 has a side mounted antenna. Pictures attached.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There is a kit that consists of U channel, brush guard, and interior plate available. That is how they were suppose to do it. Someone asked about how to mount the antenna about a month ago and I had posted pictures from threads about this from 3 years ago or so.

The official way is on a pole behind the cab but that adds a lot of height.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks