• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ram 2500 Tow Tractor

dropaduece

Dear Fellow Members,

I have recently purchased a 1990 Dodge Ram 2500 tow tractor from auction. As I am sure many of you know the rear ends in those trucks are geared really low for heavy duty pulling. I like the truck and it has a great powerplant and would like to make it more streetable. Can I just change the gears in the rear end or am I better off buying another rear. Any advice or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Seth

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow tractors I have seen have planetary drive rear ends. No high speed there. If that is the case, axle swap is best bet.

transman

You should have a dana 70 with 7.17 ratio gears. depending on bill of material # for your axle you can gear up to 4.10 or 4.56 without changing the carrier. anything tall will require a carrier change. I streched the frame on mine to accept a 6 foot stock box and it works great .

Reactions: NDT

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, I was wrong! Must just be just the chevy's I saw with the other axles. Wow, 7.17 is really slow...

Westech

CPL
top speed around 35 mph... well it would be like driving that deuae.. man who was that guy.. his deuce lost high range and he still drove it like 450 miles at 23 mph....

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, I was wrong! Must just be just the chevy's I saw with the other axles. Wow, 7.17 is really slow...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks