• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 fuel in oil

bassetdeuce

Cool!

I would bet that the PMCS depot has a huge tank full of 15W40 oil with an electric pump on it. Someone probably wasn't paying attention to the meter on the pump.

-Chuck
Yep. Never thought of that, but I'd bet that is what happened. I was concerned about the rear main seal after that fiasco, but I drove it another 550 miles and the oil level stayed normal. Also, I didn't notice any diesel smell on the stick after the trip, so I don't think I was "making oil" at a rate that would match a leaky rear main. Oh well, interesting recovery nonetheless.

stumps

Another way to end up a gallon or so overfull is to not drain both sumps on the oil pan, and then dump in the full 6 gallons.

-Chuck

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a fuel leak that i have not seen mentioned is the booster pump shaft seal. these trucks are getting old and the seals are getting hard. mine was leaking so badly it was a trickle. just pull the pump out and run the in tank pump to confirm it is leaking. seals are about $6.

tom

tater575

My m35a2 has a very bad fuel leak (diesel) that is mixing in with the oil somewhere to the point it is dripping all over at a steady flow. My FDC was bypassed by the military when the truck was rebuilt so I know the problem cant be there. I have read about the Flame Heater being an issue, is there a way to bypass this and would it even be a cause for this problem? and how does a guy go about bypassing it if it is? I also was wandering if it could be an o ring or seal problem in the injection pump. I ordered a new injection pump seal and o ring rebuild kit just to be sure, but looking forward to hearing back from you guys. thanks

wildbill88

a fuel leak that i have not seen mentioned is the booster pump shaft seal. these trucks are getting old and the seals are getting hard. mine was leaking so badly it was a trickle. just pull the pump out and run the in tank pump to confirm it is leaking. seals are about $6.

tom
Where is the mechanical boost pump located and where did you get the seal a part number might also help

Breach27

Same problem here. I have disconnected the FDC, removed heater and replaced all three o rings. Next step is the booster seal. Fingers crossed

Ken Borrell

I have diesel fuel in the crankcase oil. Everyone seems to know the problem but what I am looking for is a step by step process to replace the o-rings. Is there such a site????Kenny B