• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G749 preservation

robert c neth

Banned
going to look at an m211 in an hour ,been in a garage for 20 years owner wants it gone .nice m135 they are getting harder to find around here because the mudders like the axles.keep up the good work.

Section8

Great looking valve cover!
A clean, timed, gaped, and new point 302! Bet it sounds great!
Hey if I ever get my M135 with the 5.9L running we could get together with Gunfreak and have an all out showdown. Stock and two modifieds!
302 inline, 6.2L , and 5.9L.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Water Pump Replacement

With the TM's and the Bob Kettler Tech Tips in hand we are taking the first steps to replace the water pump. It's not leaking but is rattling enough to anticipate a detonation at any time so the truck is shut down 4months before winter.

2 pumps showed up today from Brian Asbury with the original labels p/n 2194212 from 1983 in good condition.

If I can get some Henderson tips for ease of R+R it would be greatly appreciated. The Tech tip warns of bolt length which seems like common sense but just wondering what other challenges we might see.

Attachments

butch atkins

Water pump replacement

When I replaced my last pump on my M211,I bought a brand new manufactured one from O'reilly autoparts store,took some time to convince female parts person to look in book,was a special order item,had to pay in advance but was brand new manufacture and perfect replacement,and yes take the old one with you.63.00 and change.good luck to all on your projects.

Gunfreak25

Butch, by perfect replacement do you mean a drop in fit in replacement for the stock in tank pump? I am assuming you don't have the vehicle info you gave them to find the pump in their books.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Water Pump

Called NAPA today to see if they could find a water pump and current part number, they are still looking. The LEVY part number 7411731 or the part number on the box did not 'cross' with anything, yet.

Butch, it's not urgent because I'm set up but if you can find a part number for future builders we'll make Gunfreak finish the database for G749 parts cross-over's.

NAPA may get me what I need so I'll post first if I can.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water Pump Safety

Sean11, we did a hazard assessment and the truck was high enough to require railings. We need lanyards with safety lines and Job Procedures for the use of ladders. Crawling under the hood in a tight space not normally occupied by a person meant a confined space entry permit was required. Demonstrating the ability to 'rescue' a person under the hood we need to set up a pulley system from an overhead crane and now that we have an overhead hazard, need hard hats. Due to the presence of gas, fire retardant clothing and safety glasses are required. Fire suppression equipment must be present and working.

Emergency Preparedness Plan is complete with 'working alone procedure' set up as contact every hour with outside party. Communication devices are in order, within reach and emergency contact numbers are displayed. Muster point is by the sign, the washroom is over there and the first aid and fire exits are here, here and here.

A pile of MSDS sheets came out of the files for the ten different fluids and greases we have in the truck and a lock-out tag is hung on the ignition switch. The fluid drained from the radiator will be contained, strained and re-used however a spill kit is next to the project and floor drains are skirted.

I cut myself setting up the safety rail so I told my supervisor and he took me over to the first aid kit. He applied a band-aid, recorded it in the first aid tracking book then we sat at the table to fill out an incident report. About an hour later we shut down the safety rail project and brought the entire crew into a big room. We explained the incident to the crew, so they would not hurt themselves in the same manner. The boss made them sign a tool-box meeting sheet acknowledging that the company told them about the incident and performed diligently by having them endorse the document that contained factual information about the incident.

After the incident report and the tool box meeting sheet was submitted to the office the President of the company looked over the documents. He signed and dated them, then made a small note on the recommendations section of the page. Review "Safe Work Practices" and "Job Procedures" for installing safety rails on the M135.

Realizing that the training for the crew to do such a task was not complete we called the crew back in the big room for a job hazard analysis. From that analysis we identified the severity, developed steps to control the hazards and involved the entire crew in the development of a written procedure to do the job safely.

With a new 'Job Procedure' being added to the Safety manual the President arranged for all staff to be at one location at one time. He reviewed the incident with the entire company, presented the new "Job Procedure" for a peer review and asked if anyone had suggestions for improvements for the M135 Safety Rail Installation Procedures.

With all agreeing to the document, another tool box meeting sheet prepared by the President, was signed by all personnel.

The employee 'training tracking' sheets were pulled from their over-sized safety binders and it was documented that they reviewed the job procedure for M135 Safety Rail Installation.

We have placed a stop work order on the project until all safety recommendations have been implemented. Once that happens we will perform an 'inspection' on the work area. We can then document that the required changes are in place and the job procedure is available for employee review.

Once we demonstrate the new job procedure to the employees, we can watch them perform the task. Once they demonstrate that they can complete the M135 Safety Rail project, we can bring them back in the big room to sign their training tracking sheets indicating that they can competently perform the task.

We still have not turned a bolt on the water pump and expect sometime next week, when all the information to perform the task is compiled, we will get the safety railing up.

Five minutes after I cut myself I was able to remove the bandage as my 1/4 long scratch did not bleed.

54reo

Great post plowboy.

Some people may think you are exaggerating, but it is very true, particularly in the nuclear field.

targhee trucks

Sean11, we did a hazard assessment and the truck was high enough to require railings. We need lanyards with safety lines and Job Procedures for the use of ladders. Crawling under the hood in a tight space not normally occupied by a person meant a confined space entry permit was required. Demonstrating the ability to 'rescue' a person under the hood we need to set up a pulley system from an overhead crane and now that we have an overhead hazard, need hard hats. Due to the presence of gas, fire retardant clothing and safety glasses are required. Fire suppression equipment must be present and working.

Etc, etc, etc . . .
Outstanding! Love it! I'll have a smile on my face all day because of this. Thanks!:D

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 Water pump

Finally got at the water pump and drove the M135 after a month.

You don't need to remove the thermostat housing when you remove the water pump. If you do, you will need to make a gasket....because you don't have one........and now that it's off you better clean it up and paint it.

Oh, and the pan that you use only for anti-freeze......will have been used by someone else for oil and you'll ruin a few gallons of anti-freeze. Have plenty of extra anti-freeze on hand.

The fan's 4 bolts are tough to get at so a 1/2 inch ratchet wrench solved that problem.

The bolts on the water-pump are different lengths so we were careful not to mix them up and drive one through a cylinder wall.

Need to get her washed up for a drive tomorrow and a picture opportunity with a very special bird next week.

More M135 test drive photo's once the sun is up.

Attachments

135gmc

I haven't heard the name Bob Kettler in years - he was about the best resource there was for anyone rebuilding a GMC. He could be a cranky SOB, but he knew his stuff. When he got to know you, he'd ship out the parts when you called him, and let you follow up with a check. Just before he committed suicide, he sent care packages to all his regular customers, so the stock of parts for GMCs that he had went to people who knew what the parts were instead of to a scrapyard. He admitted to being a dinosaur - he specialized is gasoline fueled trucks, and saw his market going away. He told me once that no contractror or trucker would buy a gasoline truck or repair one when he could buy a running diesel truck. About the time he ended it all, he told me that he would probably have to start making wiring harnesses to keep the business aliive.

Rest in peace, Bob. Your friends still miss you.

135gmc

One trick to remember whenever you are restoring a GMC or a Dodge is that many of the engine parts are civilian. When I needed parts, I'd go to NAPA and look for the engine and the year. If their book didn't go back as far as I needed, I'd look for the most common part number that was close to the right year. More than 90% of the time, it worked.

APM215

Sean11, we did a hazard assessment and the truck was high enough to require railings. We need lanyards with safety lines and Job Procedures for the use of ladders. Crawling under the hood in a tight space not normally occupied by a person meant a confined space entry .
I liked this so much I’m saving it into a word doc. Plowboy you must have worked for the government too. I just finished my confined space training for body recovery and I work outside on the train tracks!!!!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob Kettler

That's a sad story 135gmc. I didn't know about Bob until one of our local MVPA members passed me....Bob Kettler Tech Tips. Wish I knew him, he clearly understood the truck.

The multi page document has some great detailed G749 information that really should be available to more builders.

It didn't feel right posting all of it but maybe I can get some verbal feedback on any restrictions that may exist when posting privately created info. sheets.??????? It is a sensitive subject.

Mr. M, APM215, Thanks, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.... Are you doing confined space entry to rescue guys like my buddies that clean the inside of rail cars? Or to clean the inside of your tanker? A rail yard... cool, got any pictures?

Safety programs up the wazoooo.... Can I say that? The program in Alberta is called COR...Certificate of Recognition....All levels of Government, utility companies and some others will only accept a bid if it comes with COR.
It's a Peer Audited Program available through several private organizations ACSA, Government and the industry. It's probably very similar to what you're doing. Contractors, like myself create a safety program and have external peer audits every 3 years and internals yearly. Yes, I said external and internal. I'm glad to see someone else doing it, the gubermint needs the money .....and we can share the pain!

The company I worked for back in the 80's and 90's jumped deep into safety, right after several injuries. Took my first course in the early 90's, wow....twenty years ago. Since then we've found a way to build things and still send everyone home with eight fingers, two thumbs and ten toes. Safety Programs are expensive, difficult, hard to maintain, not everyone likes them but most of the time they work ....similar to an MV.

Last edited:

APM215

Mr. plowboy, I do track maintenance for the railway. I don’t go near the rolling stock or have anything to do with it. Just repair the rails that’s it. I just transferred outside after 15 years in the diesel shop as the pay was higher.
Not sure why they sent me on the confined space training and the guys on my crew don’t know why either.
Most of the time I run the Pettibone Speedswing or the Case 580 moving rail around.
Our Tax dollars at work. When I’m operating on hi-rails I have to have a spotter walk in front of me to check switch points as per SYOP’s (Safety, Yard, Operating, Procedures) the oversized binders that tell you how to do things in the yard.
Everyone loves pic’s so here are some pic’s of what I do. The last two are the of the work I did before I left the diesel shop.

I love your truck by the way. Keep up the good work. It makes me wish I still had my M135.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks