• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M38a1 project

Danger Ranger

Don't even finish it! That looks like a boatload of fun right there!!!:-D

"I'm makin' a left tern!!!"

Oh, and I believe this puts you ahead of Zout, just in case you needed the support...his isn't moving under its own power yet....But you'll be there soon right Zout?!?!?

Nicely done, and I hope it runs as good as it looks so far!:beer:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

dougimes

Carb question, surging at idle

I think I still may have a problem with carb.

The engine has a very pronounced surge at idle, almost kills, then revs up to about 1200, then almost kills.

ideas?

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
surging

any time I get surging in a carburated engine, I immediately think vacuum leak. Check all the intake manifold system for leaks. Sometimes if you spray something like carb cleaner around the bolted gasket surfaces you will get an RPM rise when the leaking area sucks the stuff into the intake stream. Good luck !

dougimes

progress photos, yard drive model

Just a few progress photos at a major milestone

Mechanicals are done. Now switching to body.

The rough idle turned out to be a plugged low speed jet, and a vacuum leak at the vacuum pump

fixed the vacuum leak first (gasket not seated right), ran better but not great. Then took the carb apart and found the obstruction in he low speed jet.

I pick up new tires at Aberdeen.

Attachments

zout

68T - I am interest in parts if you are lookin to sell any ??

That was a sweet video - I like this thread as it gets better all the time.

Lahti35

Very cool! Great vid! The weather looks nice down there.... My wife spent 4 years at BJU before returning to the frozen tundra of Michigan.

Keep up the good work!

dougimes

strong links to MI down here. automotive and many Michiganders that were at BJU at one time or another.

We go to Heritage Bible Church, lots of BJU friends

poof

Dirty Hippie
Hello Doug.
Was just talking to your Dad.. he told me about the new jeep project.. Looks great..
Did you make it home from Wisconsin with that Jeep Trailer and Motor?
We met at your dads place.. and talked of the M416 trailer I was looking at.. I got it. and worked on it this winter.
I hear your going to be going to Aberdeen
and hooking up with your mom and pop's Have Fun Wish I could be there too.
J.P.

dougimes

Have a little progress to report, took the tub over to a friend of a friend with a 50hp compressor and lot of sand.

I went to pick it up, where there was paint, there was now pristine metal. The empty glovebox and toolbox now had about 5 lbs of sand.

Came out nice, I debated whether or not to sandblast, Not sure why. I could have spent $150 on abrassive wheels, with much less satisfactory results. It took about 3 hours, to my 30 probably.

I gave it a coat of primer, before addressing the body work. You can see in the picture the worst of it, which is really nothing at all, 3 spots need a little sheet metal.

Aberdeen is next weekend. Parts run

Attachments

dougimes

Progress shots,

The shots show new tires, rims painted, body on. The picture showing the rust thru area is the only body work I have to do, can you believe that? I am going to take care of all of the rust areas with a 1'x2' piece of 16 gauge.

The last time it was in service was 1972. Wonder where it has been.

Decided to do the jeep in Navy Gray, saw an example at Aberdeen that I liked. Did a little checking, there were m38a1's used by the navy in the early 50's at the big yards refitting the Essex class carriers. Norfolk, Puget Sound etc. Also at bases in the pacific. Some possibilities there.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks