• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Wheel bearings

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started to do maintenance on XM211 wheal bearings and seals. After reading the manual
TM 9-1819AC, I don't see anything that talks about packing the bearings with grease.

Does this mean that they are only lubricated with gear oil from the diff's?

Is the "seal, oil adjusting nut", the same as putting cork in the slot on the axle?

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, So I have been doing it right after all. I wonder why the disparity between the
manuals.
Bruce

nattieleather

Well it's been about 12 years since I owned my M211 but when I did the bearings I packed them in grease with new seals etc. Then six months later I pulled one axle down to replace a wheel cylinder that had gone bad (even though I had replaced it at the time) and gear lube was up inside the bearings. I replaced the seal again and repacked them again. So the question for the group is are these lubed by gear oil or should they be packed. I can't read the printout from above...to blurry sorry.

Gunfreak25

I'll try and get a better picture. I am pretty sure they need to be packed with grease, that's what one picture in the manual shows. You just pack them by hand getting sufficient grease around each bearing. I'll check again but I don't see anything in the book about the bearings being lubed with gear oil.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM is TM 9-8024pt1 located in the resource section.
Discussion is 70-General lube instr. p117
Pic is on p129
Bruce

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lube instructions are just for the actual bearings so they do not reference
the tiny seal that is used for the shaft keyway. If you look in the TM 9-1819AC on page 288 you will see a tiny part labeled 'E' which is 'seal, oil adjusting nut'
I believe this is the same as the cork or RTV solution used in the newer trucks.
That manual is also available in the resource section but I don't know which part.
You should download them all anyway.
I am not sure whether this is supposed to keep gear oil out of the bearings,
but I think so. Maybe someone else can confirm this.
Bruce

butch atkins

Lubed by gear oil ? ABSOLUTELY NOT,the cork seal is there so the gear oil WILL NOT wash off the grease that you are supposed to pack the bearings in. TM 9-8024 p482 "at rear axles make sure corkseal is in place inside adjusting nut in groove in axle housing".if you dont do this you will wash the grease off of the bearing,killing the bearing and burning up the end of the axle.TM9-8024 p485 "install brng inner adj nut on axle housing,USING CARE NOT TO DISLODGE ADJUSTING NUT CORK OIL SEAL ON REAR AXLE"nuff said ,good luck on your project

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what I had assumed from the beginning
but one of the manuals made me double check
as I've stated in the above posts.

Thanks for confirming this Butch!
Bruce

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, I am older then my two, 211's, but my comment is: Newer vehicle wheel bearings are lubed with gear lube. Even if the seal fails and enough axle lube melts the grease on the bearings, they should not fail because of it. They are still being lubed. Actually, I see no reason, if a newer style seal designed to hold lube oil is installed, that conversion to lube oil lubed bearings should not be acceptable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks