• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Delco Alternator Manual

Barrman

Pretty much every civilian alternator sold since 1987 in normal vehicles is a remove and replace type of unit. They are not rebuildable.

My skills and knowledge base for testing each individual component in an alternator have slipped because I haven't had to mess with rebuilding any in a while. I have Delco 10 SI or 12SI alternators in my M715, 1966K20 and Mini, but they haven't broken in years, so no practice for me.

Now that I have a M1009, I needed to get refreshed on procedures. A little history first.

1972 saw the introduction of the Delco Remy internally regulated alternator. Depending on the size of the case, they have different numbers. 10-SI, 12-SI, 17-SI and 27-SI. The smaller the number, the smaller the case. Amp ratings can be 100 plus for any case size.

The -20 and -34 manuals for the CUCV series talk you through the alternator removal, checks and even how to take it apart and test each component. The -34 takes you through the same thing the links posted below do. Same basic pictures too. However, they to me are a little clearer and easier to understand instruction.

The first few pages of the link below talk you through exactly what is happening inside the alternator in a pretty simple easy to under stand way as well.

This is the Delco site:
Delco Remy

Here is the specific manual for the 27-SI:
http://www.delcoremy.com/pdfs/service_manuals/legacy/1G-266.pdf

It is only 10 pages, so print it out and use it the next time you have yours apart.

My ALT 2 wasn't charging, I took it off, took it apart and replaced the regulator thinking, but not knowing that was the problem last week. It wasn't it, so I ordered a rebuild kit. $44.50 later I had all new parts for the inside of the alternator. I switched everything electrical out and it works great. Warthog led me to the above site. Now I can go test each part I removed and find out exactly what the problem was, order just that part and have a complete rebuild kit in the glove box for fixing things away from home.

Just so you know, the regulator and brush housing is the same for all the SI models.

Whenever you take a CUCV alternator apart, don't forget about the isolated ground wafers and the need to put them back in. Especially on the passenger side ALT. The drivers side can get by without them.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Barrman for the kind words. All the other parts in the alternator should be good as I had just replaced them. Find the bad part and keep the rest.

For everyones info, this Delco Remy pdf covers the 27SI type 100 alternator. It is almost identical to the CUCV alternator except it doesn't have the islolated ground info. You will need to use the TM 9-2320-289-34 manual for that specific info. I use both when I am working on an alternator.

Last edited:

shkira

I am trying to isolate my pesky alternator problem and ordered a civilian 27SI for the driver side. Obviously the STE/ICE plug is missing as is the ground connector. I can just leave the STE/ICE plug disconnected but what about the ground connector? Do I have to rig something up from the harness plug to the chassis or will the case ground on the civilian alternator be sufficient for the system to work?

I am not leaving it this way just need something to go back to guys that rebuilt my military one.

Is the ICE/STE connector on the alternator always the smaller of the ground wire?

Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The non-isolated ground alternator will use the case for a ground. On some of them they will have a threaded hole for a ground wire. You can re-hookup the ground wire from the engine head to this threaded hole or just tape it up and lay it to the side.

As far as the ICE/STE connector it will be the small smooth push on connector. Just tape it up and lay it to the side.

All the other connectorss will be the same.

JUST REMEMBER---- on a stock system, the civvy alternator will only work on the drivers side. It is designed to use the alternator case for it's ground and if you try to use it on the passenger side the fireworks will be spectactular.

For a better picture, right click on the thumbnail and choose "Open Link in New Window"

Attachments

markinnh

Hello Gents,

I wonder if anyone knows where to find out what kind of signal train the 'tach' lug on the right hand alternator puts out? Can a non oem tack be hooked up there? Did the civy version of the 6.2 have a tach? Is there a manual for the STE/ICE? I bought one and was dissapointed when it did not have the 'main' cable and have not done anything with it since.

Regards,

Mark

Michael

The STE/ICE manual is classified, therefore it cannot be downloaded from the usual places. The manuals were often left with the unit when they were surplussed though so a lot of them are out there.

shkira

Warthog and everyone else who has pitched in an answer,
Thanks that did it. I feel vindicated. The entire time I knew the system wasn't keeping up.

With the caddy alternator on everything is as it should be--perfect. Voltmeter centers after glowplugs shutoff and barely moves out of the center of the green zone no matter what load I place on the truck.

After reading the CUCV charging system article in the Military Vehicle I assume what was happening was since the Alt 1 wasn't adjusting to the entire load the Alt 2 was carrying some of the load. Not directly but since the alt 1 was only putting out 12.7 V as the Number 1 battery depleted the number two battery would back feed and the alt 2 would top it up.

Brillliant system the dual charging system.

Now I can insist that the alternator shop fix the rebuild which isn't right.

Last edited:

mark69k20

link not working

Pretty much every civilian alternator sold since 1987 in normal vehicles is a remove and replace type of unit. They are not rebuildable.

My skills and knowledge base for testing each individual component in an alternator have slipped because I haven't had to mess with rebuilding any in a while. I have Delco 10 SI or 12SI alternators in my M715, 1966K20 and Mini, but they haven't broken in years, so no practice for me.

Now that I have a M1009, I needed to get refreshed on procedures. A little history first.

1972 saw the introduction of the Delco Remy internally regulated alternator. Depending on the size of the case, they have different numbers. 10-SI, 12-SI, 17-SI and 27-SI. The smaller the number, the smaller the case. Amp ratings can be 100 plus for any case size.

The -20 and -34 manuals for the CUCV series talk you through the alternator removal, checks and even how to take it apart and test each component. The -34 takes you through the same thing the links posted below do. Same basic pictures too. However, they to me are a little clearer and easier to understand instruction.

The first few pages of the link below talk you through exactly what is happening inside the alternator in a pretty simple easy to under stand way as well.

This is the Delco site:
Delco Remy

Here is the specific manual for the 27-SI:
http://www.delcoremy.com/pdfs/service_manuals/legacy/1G-266.pdf

It is only 10 pages, so print it out and use it the next time you have yours apart.

My ALT 2 wasn't charging, I took it off, took it apart and replaced the regulator thinking, but not knowing that was the problem last week. It wasn't it, so I ordered a rebuild kit. $44.50 later I had all new parts for the inside of the alternator. I switched everything electrical out and it works great. Warthog led me to the above site. Now I can go test each part I removed and find out exactly what the problem was, order just that part and have a complete rebuild kit in the glove box for fixing things away from home.

Just so you know, the regulator and brush housing is the same for all the SI models.

Whenever you take a CUCV alternator apart, don't forget about the isolated ground wafers and the need to put them back in. Especially on the passenger side ALT. The drivers side can get by without them.
the above link isn't working darn

Barrman

I thought we were still tag teaming this? You posted, I saw it and did the next step. I figured you would have posted the other manual that used to be on the Delco site.

MarcusOReallyus

Try the post at the top of the page. It's been there waiting for you. I talked to it the other day and it was feeling pretty lonely, wondering when you were going to download it.

;)

addinquir

Try the post at the top of the page. It's been there waiting for you. I talked to it the other day and it was feeling pretty lonely, wondering when you were going to download it.

;)
Would love to see that link you are talking about. Otherwise it will remain lonely because mine own eyes sees not a shred of 27SI manuals from Delco Remy let alone the isolated ground 27SI manual.
Would be nice. If anyone sees the link working, please forward it to us all.
Thanks

MarcusOReallyus

Would love to see that link you are talking about. Otherwise it will remain lonely because mine own eyes sees not a shred of 27SI manuals from Delco Remy let alone the isolated ground 27SI manual.
Would be nice. If anyone sees the link working, please forward it to us all.
Thanks

Post #11. Top of the page.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks