• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.2 to 727 adapter??

four-thirteen

Bendtsen can hook you up. Likely going to be pricey, but the chevy-to-mopar swap is a bastard with the starter locations.
Transmission Adapters

Another option is to cut the bellhousing off the 727 and bolt on an aftermarket bell. I am not sure that Ultrabell makes this one, but you could try. J.W.Performance Transmissions

Transdapt did make a kit, but I haven't seen one in years.

I'll add that the 727 case that AMC used on their stuff was an AMC-only deal, and was different from the small block case that mopar used. Might be able to swap the case and use the a jeep adapter, but that would be a lot of work.

imbobbbb

By the time you buy an adapter,{if one even exists],I think you would be money ahead to just use the 6.2/turbo400/208.Fooling with driveshafts is likely easier/cheaper than adapting the trans,getting the starter to work,etc.Swap the chevy 60 front in while you're at it and use the chevy front driveshaft.I would think a chevy rear shaft could be found that would be close in length too since the wheelbases are the same between '80schevy trucks and '70's dodge trucks.The transfercase is already on the same side,seems like a fairly simple swap.I doubt you'll see any power gain but I guess the mileage would be better.

MatthewH

If you had read earlier in the post, he's trying to JUST REPLACE THE MOTOR. The truck itself low miles, so there is no reason to replace the entire drivetrain. Yes, the adaptor is avaliable, and it runs between 400 and 500 dollars, not cheap, but it is an option.
Whether you just replace the engine and buy an adaptor, or replace the entire drivetrain, it is still going to be exspensive.

Here's my "expert" idea, nobodies suggested a tiny computerized 4cyl engine and some big heavy 10 ton rockwells. There, CitizenSoldier, I have solved your engine problem:roll:

Sorry Lane, but had to throw out a stupid idea too

Last edited:

southdave

Dude great Idea lane one other thing you need to consider it the torque converter you need a low stall converter. it would be easier to swap the tranny tranfercase I got one of unknown condition you can trade me for????

1stSarge

I think you are going about it the wrong way.

Scrap the 318 with its nylon timing gears, and drop in a 383 or 440 or even a 400. No adaptation necessary.

Just sold my last 318 last week.

They will all bolt right up to the 727.

Much more reliable than the small blocks, and there is a huge variety available on pistons, rods, other part to vary power/gas mileage.

citizensoldier

I might have solved my problem..I will need to change some stuff but should be able to make it work. **** maybe even a NV4500?? But also wonder why I even subject myself to the doo doo that can flow out of this site these days. Again if I was going to replace the entire driveline I would just put the box on one of my Chevy's. I am trying to keep a stock look for the old M887 and have plenty of 6.2's in the yard. I am wearing out shoe's opening the door and pushing like a skateboard trying to get up a mole hill..:driver:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is that and what was it used in? I think I like what I see! Isn't this site great?

citizensoldier

I could tell you but would have to kill you.. A friend of a friend has it.. 361 Chrysler our out of a APC if I had to guess.. Supposedly rebuilt. All waterproof military application.. I will need new manifolds, switch the oil pan around, and the usual stuff but it should have no trouble pushing 7k worth of truck and probably the same or better millage.. I am in negotiations kind of, sort of with the owner.. lol..

Chief_919

I could tell you but would have to kill you.. A friend of a friend has it.. 361 Chrysler our out of a APC if I had to guess.. Supposedly rebuilt. All waterproof military application.. I will need new manifolds, switch the oil pan around, and the usual stuff but it should have no trouble pushing 7k worth of truck and probably the same or better millage.. I am in negotiations kind of, sort of with the owner.. lol..
Looks like the 361 that was used in the forst M113's to me.

citizensoldier

What is that and what was it used in? I think I like what I see! Isn't this site great?
Yes I think the site is great.. I just long for the old days from time to time when we could talk freely and the group was small enough you knew everyone and who was full of crap and who was not.. "But that's all I got to say about thattttt.."

So now back to this motor for a M887 swap.. Come on Chrysler guys give me the skinny! Will it work? What will it take? Will the drive line hold up under its power? Is this considered a big block like a 440? These Dodge M887's are the first Dodge trucks of these years I have ever owned and operated. I know very little other than they are simple, electrical nightmares,cheap parts, and get the job done. "most of the time"lol
Now I do know a thing or two about a M37 but that is another bread..

1stSarge

Dumb new guy full of crap response:
360 is a small block, but it SHOULD bolt right up, I will defer and suggest clinto as one of the supreme experts in this area.

citizensoldier

Dumb new guy full of crap response:
360 is a small block, but it SHOULD bolt right up, I will defer and suggest clinto as one of the supreme experts in this area.
Nothing personal Sarge.. Your not dumb.. It just gets exhausting to weed through stuff sometimes when you need answers.. But one good thing about SS is you eventually get what you need.. Your definately right about clinto and I wish the chat was back up and running. What's the deal with that anyway?? Mangus on vacation?

four-thirteen

From a real mopar guy:

That motor you have is a 361, a big block just like a 350, 383, 400, 413, 426 and 440. It uses a big block bellhousing pattern, meaning to install it in your truck you need to swap the transmission case for a big block case.

There may be an issue with the crankshaft bolt pattern, maybe you could get the seller to remove the flywheel and post a picture of the end of it to make sure it will take a regular flexplate and converter.

The heads are industrial heads, which use a different exhaust manifold from a standard passenger car motor. These heads were typically found in industrial applications, motor-homes and big trucks like dump trucks and cube vans. The good news is no one wants anything to do with these heads or the stuff that goes with them, so its cheap, but also most of it ends up in the scrap bin. I might have a guy with a pair of them at his shop if you want his number.

The oil pan is likely standard big block, even with those add-ons. I think the easy thing to do is just get a civi truck pan and bolt it on.

Your driveline with hold up to that thing just fine.

1stSarge

No... Sorry
I was just being a smart a$$…

I know the thinking, after being here just a few months, I look at the huge influx of new people asking/saying stupid things, and while I try to “teach a man to fish” it does get tiresome.

But I have to say, I am on several forums, on a variety of subject matter, and this is …by far… the most polite, professional, helpful, and genuine group of people I have ever been involved with.

And to the other point, I will repeat here, what has been said by many in the past, the mods like Eric, who are actually on here every day, who actually give a hoot what is going on, need a lot more admin power to control things. (I know this is different than the technical things going on with chat).

Not to de-rail or start bashing… I absolutely love SS, but in comparison, on other forums, the owners/operators, are far more active and accessible.

Back to the 360, I have a ton of parts laying around from parting out muscle cars. Mostly big blocks.

The block breakdown looks like this (I believe)

318-340-360 small block
383-400-440 big block
The HP 440 was known as an RB which was a “Raised Block” the heads were just a little higher to allow for higher compression pistons.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help on this one, answers will come.

citizensoldier

From a real mopar guy:

That motor you have is a 361, a big block just like a 350, 383, 400, 413, 426 and 440. It uses a big block bellhousing pattern, meaning to install it in your truck you need to swap the transmission case for a big block case.

There may be an issue with the crankshaft bolt pattern, maybe you could get the seller to remove the flywheel and post a picture of the end of it to make sure it will take a regular flexplate and converter.

The heads are industrial heads, which use a different exhaust manifold from a standard passenger car motor. These heads were typically found in industrial applications, motor-homes and big trucks like dump trucks and cube vans. The good news is no one wants anything to do with these heads or the stuff that goes with them, so its cheap, but also most of it ends up in the scrap bin. I might have a guy with a pair of them at his shop if you want his number.

The oil pan is likely standard big block, even with those add-ons. I think the easy thing to do is just get a civi truck pan and bolt it on.

Your driveline with hold up to that thing just fine.
Ahhhhh I have awoken the Mopar gods! YES! I have a 60's Dodge wrecker real close to me with a 440 and 5 speed in it.. I will see about the crankshaft bolt pattern maybe he will do that for me..Do you need measurements or will a picture do? So the manifolds off that 440 will probably work? If I can get the numbers off the 5 speed could you tell me if it would work also along with flywheel and stuff? Thank you for your input and I will be posting more info after my recon mission. I like the idea of all the waterproof ignition and military set up. This should be the same rotation direction right? I know sometimes industrial and boat motors are different.
I just might want that guys number but need to seal a deal on the motor first and make sure its worth it. What do you think the horsey power is? Give or take..
Lane

four-thirteen

You might have a point about the direction of rotation with that motor. I believe I talked to the guy with that 361 you are after (guy from wisconsin), he had two of them, perhaps from a boat application where one spins backwards.

There are three possible bolt patterns on the mopar stuff, one is a flat flange with 8 holes (1951-1961), two is a flange with a raised snout with 6 bolts (1961 on up) and three is a raised snout with 8 holes (426 hemi only). That 361 most likely has the desired 6 bolt snout, but you want to make sure because that motor is an oddball, and might have been a retrofit or something for an early 50s truck or something. A picture or bolt count would do i think.

Are you planning on robbing parts off that 440 powered wrecker? That motor may or may not have the industrial heads, they seemed to go either way with them. The regular headers are held on with 6 bolts all in a line right through the middle, whereas the industrial heads used a splayed pattern you see in those pictures. The drivelines in those big trucks are huge and weird and I know nothing about them, my knowledge stops at the 727 and passenger car and light truck 4 speed, which is about as they went with the 3/4 and 1 tons I think. If you get some pictures of the wrecker I could tell you more about what would fit.

Elwenil

I would pass on that engine as cool as it is. You would need to change most of everything on it to make it easy to swap or gather a ton of parts to fit it. The oil pan would need to be changed, the manifolds, the oil pump, the pulleys and then you would still have to source the brackets for the oddball industrial/RV engine with the raised water pump that connects directly to the heads. The information about needing a different transmission is 100% correct and it is a very good possibility that the crankshaft has odd dimensions on the output end that may make it difficult to mate to a standard transfer case. On the transmission bit, there are 727 transmissions that were originally in big block equipped trucks that will directly swap in but they are a bit scarce. You can easily build one with parts from your current 727 if you get a 2WD or car 727 that mates to a big block and disassemble both and swap the tailshaft and transfer case adaptor over to the big block transmission. The engine above does appear to have normal mount ears on the block so a typical mount kit will make it or another big block mount in. The mount kits can be purchased from Schumacher Creative Services at Schumacher Creative Services or you can get a pretty nice big block swap kit from BPE Big Block Truck Installation Kit that also contains the 4WD oil pan, pickup and special dipstick. The oil pan kit can also be purchased separately from Mopar Performance from any dealer or MP parts dealer like Summit, Jegs, Mancini Racing, etc.

On the dump truck, it may be a candidate for the whole swap. A 440 is a really great engine even if the industrial versions need a bit of help to make the power of their muscle car brethren. Look carefully at the engine to be sure it's a 440. It's possible that it is a 440, but I would have to say that the 413 is much, much more common in medium duty trucks. The 5 speed is probably an NP541 or NP542, which I don't think either is an overdrive 5 speed. If you need any big block swap info, just ask or PM me. I have done a few of these swaps and it's pretty straight forward since the trucks were equipped with big blocks in the '70s but there are a few things that will trip you up like the full time 4WD/part time 4WD thing, high mount vs. low mount power steering pump (you will want power steering with a big block up front), the brake booster diameter, etc.

citizensoldier

Here is the wrecker motor I mentioned earlier.. I took the best pictures I could it's kind of hard to get at in that old bugger. I did grab the fan and it rocked back and forth so its not froze up. The trans is a straight 5 not overdrive with a split axle.
I crawled under it and swear the block numbers say 438?? I don't see those cubes mentioned from the mopar guys?? I found another motor I think is a 440 but did not want to crawl under it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks