• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

willys L-134 engine ID???

mikes47jeep

Hi all

I found a great junkyard find

It’s a Willys L-134 complete fan to flywheel, and oil pan to carburetor with brown bakelite distributor cap

But what I need help with is identifying what year this engine is serial numbers

On top of block behind water pump
2 (that’s right 2 and just 2)

In small oval behind oil filter
MB 628776

On lower passengers side of block
638632 W5A NI-CR

I can’t seem to find any info on serial numbers so I can’t tell if this is a WWII engine or post war, either way it’s a jeep engine

best regards

Mike

paulfarber

MB 628776

The oval pad behind the oil filter is where the factory stamped the SN of the engine, to match the SN of the frame and chassis.

You have to many numbers.. jeeps were roughly sequentially numbered and they did make a lot, but not 628,000+

So you might have MB 62877 (thats a pretty early SN) my Oct 22 1943 Ford GPW sn is only 72,000 -ish.

Post it over on G503.com is Military Vehicles, The WWII Military Jeep, Parts, Olive Drab and All Related Things. and see what they say.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the casting # 638632 W5A NI-CR is a WWII Willys block

the S/N starting with MB indicates it was for an MB

The build date is generally stamped on the bottom under the oil pan gasket.

gmccckw

MB 628776

The oval pad behind the oil filter is where the factory stamped the SN of the engine, to match the SN of the frame and chassis.

You have to many numbers.. jeeps were roughly sequentially numbered and they did make a lot, but not 628,000+

So you might have MB 62877 (thats a pretty early SN) my Oct 22 1943 Ford GPW sn is only 72,000 -ish.

Your discription is wrong. Willys started with serial 100000 and build more than 350000 jeeps during the war. But also build engines for gensets and other powersupllies. This engine is from 1945 and surely wartime. Date of assembly can be seen on the underside of the engine block, after you removed the oilpan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks