• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potential new M1009 owner

elmor001

Hello All,

I'm looking to purchase a m1009 soon. I have found a seller 7hrs away that has a 3 trucks and 3 suv cucvs. He said he could sale one of the m1009s to me for $3200. He is supposed to be sending me pictures and more information (year/mileage/problems) on the truck that I will post as I get it.

So far, all I know is that it runs well and the the body has some rust on it. He said it will need a paint job due to the rust and from sitting under a tree acquiring sap. He said the tires are good and that he would fell confident enough in the truck to make the 7hr trip back to Mobile, AL.

That being said, what are some things to look out for with these trucks? Since the truck is that far away, I will be dealing with the seller mostly trough phone calls and pictures of the truck. If I feel good enough about the seller and the condition of the truck, I will make the trip up there. Would there be anything I need to check out or change before making the trip? He said that for the past year it has mostly been sitting in his shop and that he only drives it some.

Again I'll be posting more info as I get it, but what are some initial thoughts? Any specific questions I should ask him? I would really appreciate any advice and I am really looking forward to owning one of these American classics

--Lane

Last edited:

elmor001

I hope it's not bad, and that the rust he mentioned is just surface rust on the body panels. I'm holding off judgment until I see some pictures. What are the typical rust prone areas on the cucv?

dstang97

worst places floor boards, rockers, tail gate, rear floor. Hold out until you get a rust free one. Your in AL there should be plenty

K9Vic

I have a M1009 from Ft Hood and it still has some minor rust issues on the rockers and tailgate lower end. Then I had three pickups from Ft Hood and they had no rust issues. It all depends on where they sit and what they drive through, so you can find one rust free. I can tell you that if it has been sitting for a long time you may have mechanical repairs to make, so also keep that in mind. Your. For $3200 with the body issues described, you can get a better one for that price. There is always time, they are all over the place and you will find a good one.

simoncrk

a buddy of mine "Hogg" has $3200 in his new M1009. But that is after we repainted it to military specs, did a complete service of all the fluids, new 33" tires, new wheels, a new headliner w/ speakers and stereo from LMC, new console, new "Wilson Phone Booster", new seat covers, and it is RUST FREE!!!!!! So yeah, I would wait. At least for one thats rust free, and cheaper........ Now I'll get off my soap box. Whhewwwww........ Oh yeah!!!!!! and I didn't charge him a dime to do all of this......... maybe a few brewskeesss

elmor001

Well I guess the seller fell through. I asked him three different times about the year and mileage of the m1009 and never got an answer. He never sent the pictures either. Oh well I thought the price was a little high anyways. I was thinking in $2000 range, is that about right in my area (lower Alabama)?

steved454

I paid $1700 for a M1028 with low miliage with no rust except for a little surface rust on the hood.( bought at auction). the going price in MS seems to be around $2200 for the truck and $2500 for the blazers.

$1700 truck
$ 800 spring lift
$ 800 35 inch tires( should have bought 37s!)

steved454

I paid $1700 for a M1028 with low miliage with no rust except for a little surface rust on the hood.( bought at auction). the going price in MS seems to be around $2200 for the truck and $2500 for the blazers.

$1700 truck
$ 800 spring lift
$ 800 35 inch tires( should have bought 37s!)
$ 40 fuel pump
$ ?? need to replace IP then it should be reliable again! [thumbzup]

Thinking now I should have bought the M1009, I would not have to lift it because of the higher gears!!!!!aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks