• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Looks great, I was wondering how the 395 fit on the stock rim. Thanks for the pics and keep'em coming.
The 395s are designed for a 10" rim. They fit ok on a stock rim, but have a slight balloon look to them. The biggest issue is breaking the rim down if you ever get a flat. You will be SOL if you don't have equipment to push the bead down while you remove the lock ring. I love my 395s.

airmech3839

This is an awesome thread!! Did you do anything special to the rear hubs when you went to the singles... I would love to put 395's on the stock rims but am curious what else you had to do to get this setup to work for you.. Also love the hitch idea!! Good looking truck and setup!!:drool:

sewerzuk

Did you do anything special to the rear hubs when you went to the singles... I would love to put 395's on the stock rims but am curious what else you had to do to get this setup to work for you.. :drool:
I didn't do anything to the hubs; the only change I made was to go to lug nuts instead of the budd studs...everything just bolted right into place

I agree about the flat on the side of the road...I don't think I would be able to pull the lock ring with hand tools. But, I have a full size spare, so it shouldn't be an issue unless I get 2 flats :)

dc3coyote said:
Very nice work, I am not sure about the bumper, but i think it would grow on me. I like your bed, how did you mount it? The normal beds are mounted with springs to allow the frame to flex.
I'll agree that the front bumper styling is a little different; I wasn't sure about it as I was building it. I have designed literally dozens of other front bumper/brush guard/winch mounts, but all of them were out of round tube with radius bends; it was different to work with rectangle tubing. But, the design seems to suit the truck, I like it, and I have received quite a few compliments on it so I think it is on there to stay...at least until I mangle it somehow :cool:

The bed is mounted on top of 3 stacked pieces of 2x4" .120" rectangle tube at 8 points around the bed. Only the bottom tube is bolted to the frame. While it probably doesn't allow for the same amount of flex as the stock spring mounts, there is actually a significant amount of flex available with my design. The tubing is only welded at the ends...this locates the bed securely to the frame, but allows twisting motion without binding. I'll try to remember to post some pics of the mounting points...

AKJEEP

Sewerzuk, you have done a helluva job there!
I have been struggling with the decision of how I wanna make my winch bumper....I have a handfull of drawings but have not fired up the plasma yet
We have a few zuks, and have been trying to get together a zuk club here, and I have also been trying to get some interest in a MV rally here as well.......you need to load up your toy and head on up here and join in the fun!!
Maybe by then I will have gotten off my butt and built my bumper!! :D

BigWill1276

Are there any problems with the tires rubbing each other in the rear at speeds. I was thinking about putting 395 on my A3 when I get it but I noticed that there wasn't much room between the tires when you passed the camera. How about rocks going in between the tires? I'm just wondering what kind of issues you might have with the rear tires that close together?

sewerzuk

Are there any problems with the tires rubbing each other in the rear at speeds. I was thinking about putting 395 on my A3 when I get it but I noticed that there wasn't much room between the tires when you passed the camera. How about rocks going in between the tires? I'm just wondering what kind of issues you might have with the rear tires that close together?
No rubbing at speed; I've had it up to about 70 with no problem. The left front tire does rub the drag link at full lock, but just barely and it isn't enough to cause a problem. The most difficult part of this whole project was breaking the beads on the old NDT tires.
The switch to 395's has been awesome; smoother ride, better final drive ratio for highway speeds, very little tire noise, etc. I will test the tires out at the mud flats in sweet home this winter :)

sewerzuk

SewerZuk--- GREAT write-up and pics!!! The truck looks great!

and pic of my Zuki buggy for all of us Samurai guys---lol--- and because I havent hijacked a thread in awhile...
I can roll with a hijack! Nice looking Zuk! I have plans to make my black one look like that. I sold my diesel powered samurai buggy a couple of summers ago to make room for my unimooki (unimog axles under a suzuki...unimooki). It's still not done but getting closer. It is the vehicle I ultimately plan on hauling on my flatbed...

Attachments

ncpamlicoboy

hey man i just wanted to tell you thats the meanest front end of a deuce ever. if i hadent already bought my toy hauler (08 F250) i would have gone this route. if i can ever get my hands on a deuce and a half (i am in the market for one now) i plan on going the bobed route with an M105 singles and weight shedding. i plan on putting the deuce on a goose neck trailer and pulling it with the f 250 if the comute is to far to drive the deuce. thanks for sharing your truck its great!

sewerzuk

Sewerzuk, you have done a helluva job there!
I have been struggling with the decision of how I wanna make my winch bumper....I have a handfull of drawings but have not fired up the plasma yet
We have a few zuks, and have been trying to get together a zuk club here, and I have also been trying to get some interest in a MV rally here as well.......you need to load up your toy and head on up here and join in the fun!!
Maybe by then I will have gotten off my butt and built my bumper!! :D
My brother lives in Anchorage and I've driven up there a few times...actually had plans to tow the unimooki up there this summer, but too many other things came up. But, I'd be willing to bet that I'll never be driving the deuce up the alcan; I'm just not man enough to do that when I have a perfectly good dodge to do the towing duties with...
There's some yard in Anchorage that has about 20 deuces for sale; I kept meaning to stop by there when I was there a few months ago. There's also a deuce driving around there that has a full log cabin built onto the back...AK style RV, I guess :shock:

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice choice with the MVT's. Curious about the air pressure you're running with those narrow stock rims??

AKJEEP

That's Gary's Truck Sales. Not a bad place at all
They have a few of my dollars lol

I keep finding killer deals down in the lower 48, but like you, I am hesitant to drive a duece all the way back here....esp one I just bought sight-unseen:driver:

sewerzuk

That's Gary's Truck Sales. Not a bad place at all
They have a few of my dollars lol

I keep finding killer deals down in the lower 48, but like you, I am hesitant to drive a duece all the way back here....esp one I just bought sight-unseen:driver:
At 10 MPG it would cost $1k or more in fuel to drive a deuce up to AK, plus the risk of a breakdown in the middle of nowhere, plus the airplane ticket to fly to wherever you were buying it from, plus the 3 or 4 days (best case) it takes to drive the alcan, and those good deals don't seem so appealing anymore...You would need to get one for $2k or $3k less than what you could buy one for in AK to make it even BEGIN to be worthwhile.

Kalashnikov

Excellent looking truck. I like that flat bed. How tall is the bed from the ground? How much longer do you think your ramps would have to be to be able to get a car on there? I want to extend my bed 2-4' to allow for a fullsize truck to fit in the back so I can have my F350 in the back to go wheelin like you did with your Sami.

sewerzuk

Excellent looking truck. I like that flat bed. How tall is the bed from the ground? How much longer do you think your ramps would have to be to be able to get a car on there? I want to extend my bed 2-4' to allow for a fullsize truck to fit in the back so I can have my F350 in the back to go wheelin like you did with your Sami.
Bed deck is 52" above the ground. The ramps are 10' long, so on flat ground the ramps are around 23 degrees. This may not sound like much but it feels pretty steep. I don't think it would be possible to build ramps long enough to take the angle away for loading a car on flat ground; they would need to be longer than 20'. However, with my 10' ramps, it is fairly easy to find a ledge or sloping piece of ground that takes most of that angle off. I have a slope on my property that allows me to place the ramps so that they actually travel down to the flatbed on the deuce...the only problem is finding something similar at my destination.

Kalashnikov

Bed deck is 52" above the ground. The ramps are 10' long, so on flat ground the ramps are around 23 degrees. This may not sound like much but it feels pretty steep. I don't think it would be possible to build ramps long enough to take the angle away for loading a car on flat ground; they would need to be longer than 20'. However, with my 10' ramps, it is fairly easy to find a ledge or sloping piece of ground that takes most of that angle off. I have a slope on my property that allows me to place the ramps so that they actually travel down to the flatbed on the deuce...the only problem is finding something similar at my destination.
Yea, I figured ridiculously long ramps would be necessary to load a car but figured I'd ask you since you already have a physical set up made.

As for the the battery equalizer, if it is only rated for 20 amps, an electric winch would be way out of its capabilities. Seems as the only way to avoid unbalancing the batteries with a winch would be having a separate 12v charging system...I plan on mounting my 12k lb winch on the rear of my deuce so I'll probably just add a 12v charging system unless there is a simpler way to do it without unbalancing the batteries.

sewerzuk

As for the the battery equalizer, if it is only rated for 20 amps, an electric winch would be way out of its capabilities.
It is only 20 amps...but that 20A balance current happens all of the time. Sure, the winch draws 200-300A at full load, but it will only pull that for a minute or two. The equalizer doesn't need to be able to supply the full current that the winch draws (like a 12v converter would); the load will temporarily unbalance the batteries and then over the next several minutes the equalizer will rebalance them. The balance current flows even when the truck is not running...so it will correct even a large imbalance given enough time.

Edit: Unless you have a 300 amp alternator (which very few of us have), an electric winch will partially discharge a vehicle's battery. For example, the alternator in my Samurai is only 55 Amps, and most of that goes to supply constant electrical loads (ECU, lights, fuel pump, ignition, etc.). So, whenever I use the winch the battery takes a while to fully recharge. This is no different than using the equalizer setup I have on my deuce. Batteries are designed to charge and discharge; what damages them is leaving them discharged for long periods of time, overcharging, or deep cycling them (fully discharging and recharging). The equalizer prevents these damaging effects.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks