• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

All the stuff I did to my deuce, right here

AKJEEP

There's some yard in Anchorage that has about 20 deuces for sale; I kept meaning to stop by there when I was there a few months ago. There's also a deuce driving around there that has a full log cabin built onto the back...AK style RV, I guess :shock:
This guy is a carny......he is here in town with the fair right now ( I was talking to him yesterday and should have took a pic or two). He is that guy who tries to guess your weight/age/month you were born hehe

Nice looking Deuce.....1970 M35
If I go back to the fair, I will get a pic

sewerzuk

Here are a few pics of my removable hitch setup, as promised. In one of the pics you can see the 3 relays I used to make my 7 pole RV-style trailer connector work; basically, each relay is turned on or off by the 24v going to its respective light (one relay for left turn/brake, one for right turn/brake, and one for tail lights). The relays are each supplied with a constant 12v power, so they send 12v to the trailer plug. Works like a charm.

Attachments

sewerzuk

Also installed some 24v LED lights up front; WOW are they bright...not cheap, but I would say they were worth it.
For anybody interested, here is a link to the ones I am using:
LINK

Attachments

sewerzuk

On to the engine...
I have a LDT in my deuce with the C turbo; it runs pretty well. With the 395's on it, my deuce will hit about 65-70 on flat ground (but it takes a long time to get there). It will just barely manage 55 on small grades, anything over 2% or so and I'm downshifting. There is a 5 % grade near my house, and it barely hangs onto 40 MPH.
I plan on turning up my pump in some small stages, and eventually adding a water injection system for an added turn or two on the fuel screw.
I've spent hours reading posts on here...things like "weak crank", "bad head gaskets", "weak block", "you're crazy to mess with your IP", "you'll damage your engine" etc. are common finds here. However...I have yet to find a SINGLE post where somebody turned their pump up (in moderation, with instrumentation) and caused ANY kind of damage to their engine. Regardless of 30 year old technology and metallurgy, I believe that my LDT should be able to handle more than 140 HP and 300 ft lbs of torque. AND, I'm a firm believer in NOT running around scared to modify a truck; I would much rather have fun with a little extra black smoke and a little more mud thrown in the air than live in fear of damaging my engine, wondering what it might be able to do. If I throw a rod out of the bottom end, I'll just put a new motor in. Its as simple as that.

On to my instrumentation; I installed boost and EGT gauges from VDO last night; I was a little leery of busting out the hole saw into my deuce's dash, but they are standard 2 1/16" holes, so I can always fill them with another gauge if I feel the need later. I had thought about using one of the digital gauges from Auberins HERE; and I still might. But, I've had great luck with these VDO gauges (had a pair of them in my cummins for over 200k miles with no issues, and a pair in my Samurai with the diesel swap for a couple of years).
I installed the boost gauge line into the little 1/8" NPT plug in the top of the intake elbow, and the thermocouple for the EGT gauge in the exhaust manifold pre turbo. I just fired up the truck and drilled through the manifold with my 7/16" drill bit and tapped with a 1/4" NPT tap so the exhaust blew all of the chips out of the hole as I was drilling and tapping. No problems at all...went really quickly. I changed the bulbs for the backlighting on the gauges to 24V and tapped into the dash lighting for the factory gauge cluster. For power to the pyro, I just tapped into my 12v fusebox. This means that it runs all of the time, but the amp draw is so low that it won't drain the batteries even if I don't start the truck for weeks.

Attachments

sewerzuk

settled at 1 1/2 turns from stock; the difference is quite noticeable. Boost approaches 15 psi at full throttle now, and EGT's are still under control. Temps rise a little quicker than stock, but not too fast. Just a slight hint of smoke on acceleration, but no black cloud. Wish I had done this a long time ago! It makes the truck SO much more drivable. Guessing I added about 40 HP and 100 ft-lbs.
I have a water injection system on the way with a progressive controller; I hope to turn up the fuel another turn after it is installed. I may even experiment with a low concentration of methanol...

sewerzuk

whoa... I had no idea anyone was putting 395s on stock rims... is that safe?
I wouldn't be driving it if I wasn't 100% convinced it was safe :driver:

I actually spoke with over a dozen people who were running 395's on their stock rims, and one person who had outfitted several trucks with them...nobody had any issues.

Because the 395's are so much taller than stock, the extra width doesn't seem to matter with the stock wheels. They don't seem to push the lock ring out excessively, and the sidewalls are still relatively flat. Although I have seen some people complain of wandering after installing the 395's, I actually experienced a great improvement in ride quality, handling, and road noise when I installed mine; no negative effects at all.

sewerzuk

wahts your mph now? with the 395s? before and after the fuel turned up?
Not quite sure what you are asking...

Top speed with my 395's was a little under 70 MPH. Turning up the fuel just lets me get there a LOT quicker :-D

Fuel economy...was getting about 10 MPG before I turned the fuel up...mixed highway and city driving. Didn't seem to change much when I switched to 395's. I didn't keep any kind of log...just calculated my economy each time I filled up, adding in the percentage for the odometer mismatch. Haven't calculated economy since I turned the fuel up yet...

sewerzuk

Crushed a Ford Taurus tonight with my deuce; I put a training dummy in the driver's seat and then just ran right over it :driver:

I would have liked to crush it more, but I was afraid that some training value would have been lost for the guys on my FD; it was enough of a challenge to extricate the dummy after that one smash.

After thoroughly crushing the car, I hooked up the winch and pulled the car up on its side; note to self...the "park" feature doesn't work when you pull one of the drive wheels off of the ground :)

Attachments

JOAT 0311

Sewerzuk, I really like what you did w/your truck. Lots of good ideas and great work! I still have to finish mounting my MVT's. Did you happen to figure out if there was any change in mpg after turning up the fuel? Also, what is the average temp range for egt's after the 1 1/2 turn? Thanks

sewerzuk

Sewerzuk, I really like what you did w/your truck. Lots of good ideas and great work! I still have to finish mounting my MVT's. Did you happen to figure out if there was any change in mpg after turning up the fuel? Also, what is the average temp range for egt's after the 1 1/2 turn? Thanks
I haven't driven the truck long enough to get a fuel economy number. I'll post it as soon as I have a feel for how much (or if) it changed.

My EGT's hover around 700-800 degrees at 55 MPH on flat ground. They climb slowly (over about 30 seconds) to around 1200 degrees if I keep my foot on the floor during a steep grade.
Personally, I intend to keep my EGT's under 1200 degrees steady state and 1300 degrees transient; those limits have worked well for me on other projects and I am sure they'll keep my deuce alive.

If I take the truck wheeling, I will likely turn the pump up another turn or two; most of the full throttle runs only last a second or two and it will be nice to have the extra power under my foot.

I'll be sure to do another writeup when I get my water/meth system up and running...probably next weekend. I expect to get another turn on the pump with the water...and we'll see if I can run any methanol into the LDT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks