• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

...Track on a trailer...

L999here

Finally got this APC on the trailer (M172A1). First time ever and request that any heavy-haul truckers chime in to give me some pointers on tie-down and positioning. The track (Brit FV432) weighs about 15-tons (30K lbs.) and the trailer is a military M172A1 25-ton low-boy on 10.00x15TR tires (8 of 'em). Used 3/8ths. chain and heavy-duty spring loaded binders front and rear. Intend to use more chain and binders on the sides for trips. This configuration was to just get to the local gas station for a fill up. Hope the pics come out OK. Comments and critque are welcome....

Attachments

Stalwart

OK, the way you have the chains, if one device or chain fails the vehicle will be unsecured. The tie downs should be independent of each other. I wouldn't drive around the block with the current arrangement. You need 4 legs MINIMUM and since you are running and tightening a single chain at each end it is considered, legally, a single tie-down. 3/8 TRANSPORT chain, (are you using that?) has a WLL of 6600, you need 4 legs of 7500#.

M1075

Good point on the chains Stuart. They might be 43 and even 70 would be insufficient with only 4 of them (in 3/8" anyway).

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In ND where I live the rules are 1 chaine per tie down point AND the chains themselves MUST be transport Grade chains, meaning they are each serial numbered and have a tag on them indicating last inspection date, Pain in the butt YES but if stopped that would be a NO GO in ND!

fstfrdy

in az anything over 10,000lbs has to have a min. of 4 tiedowns pulling in opposite directions(straight from dot.was stopped at two in the morning for an inspection and was promptly told my load was not properly secured). crossed is best. something that sized i would do 6 at least

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need four tie-downs points min with 4 binders . X crossed front and rear. I would not take that down my drive way.

srodocker

well first thing you should get a m915 or m916 to pull that. or even a m818 :)

nice tank...

also maybe invest in a deuce tanker to follow that thing around to fill it hahaha

oh yea nice trailer + tank :)

deuceman51

Karl,
LOL, I don't even have everything up on SS because my signature is getting too long. I'm at about 34 vehicles now. Somedays I wonder myself when it will end. Dragonman, I will get you all the specs on the chains when I get home in a week.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks