• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just had a M135 given to me.

cllctrtom

A couple weeks ago, a guy emailed me and wanted to know if I wanted his old Army truck. He saw me and my group at a few events and wanted the truck to go to a good home. I didn't have the message more than 30 seconds before I was on the phone with him to make arrangements to see the vehicle he was talking about.

He said I could look at it that afternoon and I started counting down the minutes. When I show up, I found it to be a M135 in fair condition. It was mostly there and it had a winch. It was a C/D truck that was then sold to a lumber co. up to about 5 years ago when it was bought by the guy who was giving it to me. It was a project truck for him but he just didn't have the time anymore. It sat for over a year without running so I was "chomping at the bit" to see if she would turn over.

The batteries were dead so I had to wait a few more days to see if it would start but I wasn't counting on it, (even though he assured me it would crank right over).

Well, a few days after that, I went back up to the truck to check the fluids. They were all good but I had a feeling the brakes would need some work.

Two days ago I got the batteries put in it, put some fresh fuel in the tank and put a little in the carb. Much to my surprise, with the flick of the switch and a tug on the starter, that SOB fired right up! It did shut off but it was because the furl didn't reach the carb yet. I didn't want to press my luck so I just went home happy.

Today I went up with my buddy, started it, (with the first pull of the handle) checked the transfer, took the handbrake off and slipped it in high/ level. She didn't move. We then put it in low/ level and with a little coaxing, she started out of the rut she had dug for herself. My baby was moving! I couldn't believe it! We only moved it about 10 feet forward then backward and called it a day.

I can't wait to get her moved to her new home so we can get back the way she belongs. I think we'll tow her with the M35.

Attachments

Stan Leschert

It's a piece of crap. Now, just ship it up to me and I'll take care of the proper and respectful disposal!

Seriously, you got a sweet deal. You know as well as I do, that truck was way ahead of it's time. They do have their problems, and their own share of moods, but they are incredibly fun to drive. Master that freaking tranny, and I'll bet that we won't be able to wipe the grin off of your chin with a Fire Axe!

You know that you're going to have to post pics of your restoration!

I only know a little bit, but I'll try to help, as I can. Ask whenever you want!

BTW, don't bother buying a Lotto ticket, you just used a few months worth of good luck!

That, Sir, is a really sweet score!

YkDave

Congrats man!

I scored a similar deal myself recently. had a complete truck and a parts truck given to me, the deal was i had to get the crap out of his yard LOL

Couple hours of dinking around (going over things) i fired it up and drove it away!

That one definitely looks like it needs some TLC, but hey, the price is right :)

WOLFMAN1

you are lucky, somewhere on here is a guy asking for a free truck. he said it didnt have to run but couldn't afford to buy one. so he wants one for free. i told the guy good luck but it seems that you found one so all hope is not lost for him

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome luck! But actually it was not all luck since the guy saw what you were up to and sought you out.

I really like the look of those cabs. They look better to my eye than the deuce does.

Well done and thanks for posting. I wish you the best with your new truck!

Rick

saddamsnightmare

September 25th, 2010.

Good save on the truck. We had a coupla of those back in the 1970's that had the tar beat out of them hauling barrells off the barges at Wheeling Steel's Follansbee Coke Plant...when they left our employ I doubt they went 50 miles further before the engines dropped out.... I'd prefer an M35A2 for hauling, but as a truck, yours is running and mine's under repair, so i'd say you did real well.... GM just couldn't see fit to license the design, and REO did on the G742's.... Have fun and get that truck up to snuff, you'll make a lot of vets happy....:beer:

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! I think it's time you bought a LOTTO or Powerball ticket. Now if only I could get that lucky on an M416 or M101 trailer...:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks