• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Hydraulic Cylinder Question

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try a search for " airpack " or airpack short, airpack new style, etc. Lots of threads on this.

Yours is the new style. No rebuild kits for them. Be sure to lube it as the LO calls for. Read and follow the TMs.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I have reviewed TM's that I think are applicable to the airpack but could not find one showing the new style. So I searched and reviewed 24 threads that mentioned the new style airpack in some way, shape or form.

The concensus was there was no concensus. Some said the short cylinder airpack was the old style and some said it was the new style. Some said there was a rebuild kit but no one said there was not a kit at all. Most mentioning it needed to be oiled but were not really clear to me as to exactly where to do the oiling.

I got out of the service in 1973 so I am probably older than most forum members, but I must be the most ignorant. Could someone look at my pictures and tell me where they would oil this puppy.

Thanks,

Garandfan

You have the new style which is the short cylinder. No rebuild kits for yours. You can get the rebuild kits for the old style only. I replaced mine-old style for a brand new old style. To oil it, there should be an allen key plug in the back of the cylinder. You will have to pick around it to get the CARC paint out and try to free it up. BUT you will probably strip it out. Remove the airline to the cylinder and oil it through there. And Doghead knows his stuff, he does believe in everyone reading the threads because there are a lot.
P.S. You might want to change over to the brake light switch to air. You have the hydraulic brake light switch. Call Saturn Surplus. You cannot use a NAPA (Echlin) switch replacement. It is not pressure rated or is not DOT 5 compatible (Right from Echlin).

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To lube the new style airpack, you need to remove the air tube. It does not have a removable plug to add lube.

hoop

It looks much harder than it is. Just loosen the nut and the air hose moves easily off to the side. Then add oil.
I took mine off and cleaned it out, but that requires bleeding the brakes (breaks,breeks or what else they call them on here....and what the ??? is a Prolly?).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a PM sent to me form TW.

I am not sure which tube to remove to oil. Is it the one in the center of the picture of my unit shown in the thread.

Thanks,

Tinwoodsman

I added a red arrow to the tube that will need to be removed to add a few ounces of light oil to the airpack.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks