• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Free play in steering wheel

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When test driving on a straight road, I can move - turn the steering wheel about 5 to 10 inches in free play, without anything happening. Is that normal?

If not, how to correct for that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, 5-10 inches of wheel looseness is NOT normal.

The steering gear box mount bolts are known to get loose.

Are your drag-link ball sockets clean, lubed and adjusted correctly?

Have someone wiggle the wheel while you look at all joints and components.

bratpackdad

:ditto: NO WAY..that's crazy! 10 inches means the selector shaft and worm gear aren't moving at all when you turn the wheel, until you turn it past 10 inches. That's pretty dangerous.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: NO WAY..that's crazy! 10 inches means the selector shaft and worm gear aren't moving at all when you turn the wheel, until you turn it past 10 inches. That's pretty dangerous.
Yep, when test-driving it I did not notice the free play too much, just busy getting it around the corner. However, driving it this morning on the normal road I noticed this as serious problem.

The Dutch DOT people also said I can have a maximum of 30 degrees play in the steering, and I have 45. O consider this my biggest problem, see my last post in this thread.

The previous owner mentioned they one brooke the steering housen and put another on it. Maybe from a different mark or badly fitting, have to check. The truck is now on our own place where I can work with my tools, so next week I'll look.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the screw on the inside of the gear box with the jam nut cause that if it was adjusted incorrectly? Without looking at the TM I would think that adjustment could cause that assuming nothing else obvious is wrong. Am I wrong?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which steering system does your truck have?
The old style Ross Hydrapower should have very little free play, the newer "800" style steering has tremendous free play if the hydraulics are not fully functional. In short the newer style system is DANGERIOUS without full hydraulic flow. (Ask Dumpster about his ride to the Georgial Show a few weeks ago...)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My steering box bolts were loose. Of course, we didn't notice untill after the motor swap and everything was back in place, blocking access. They are NOT fun to tighten, but it can be done.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all goes to plan, tomorrow I finally can start work on my power steering problems. Thanks for all comments so far, I will take them with me.

Does anybody has a detailed blow-up from the insides of the components? The TM...35 manual has lousy pictures of everything, the other manuals only show schematics of the outside stuff.

Which steering system does your truck have?
The old style Ross Hydrapower should have very little free play, the newer "800" style steering has tremendous free play if the hydraulics are not fully functional. .....
According the manual, all those trucks should have the Ross HP-70 power steering gear. The ..A2 series have the Vickers VTM Vane pump for power steering hydraulics. Then again, maybe later types differ from the manual and, as said, the previous owner messed around with the steering as well. Will ask him tomorrow what exactly happened with it, his mechanic now is back from holidays.

ranchhopper

Did you try to adjust the lash in the steering most steering gears have a jam nut with a screw in the center for adjusting the play in the steering although yours seem a bit excessive.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big chance these previous guys just broke the old steering house and somehow lashed another into it. The mechanic is not bad, just don't see him as a type looking for old TMs to adjust things properly. For them, initially it earned its money, in later years it was just a utility thing standing around until you need it, no need to trow money or time to it beyond occasionally topping off the oil.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the outside nuts are(and were) tight and the lubrication points are now lubricated. Hopefully tomorrow the 10W oil will arive so we can refill the hydraylic system.

Did not try the adjust screw yet, will do that once the engine is running again and the new oil in.

The previous owner actually broke a gear in the steering gear house and replaced that with an identical gear. My previous remark that they replaced the steering house was wrong.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, we started check the steering. Right turn is no problem, left turn looks like no power steering at all and something is blocking it, very difficult, some "bumps when turning the wheel. More specific, when the wheels are full right, going to the middle is doable but going beyond the middle into a left turn almost impossible. Engine is running at around 1000 rpm.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Bear is back from hibernation and back to work (as of tomorrow).

Did anybody ever pulled the steering house itself out of the truck (5-ton with Ross Hydrapower), opened it up and replace the innards. Not talking about the hydraulic part, but about the mechanic part of it. Pics please??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks