• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket questions

Banshee365

Hey guy's, was over at the farm looking at my deuce I bought while I wait on exhaust for the turbo conversion. The air filter side of the motor has dried up oil from the head gasket down on the front 2-3 cylinders. There isn't a thick layer but it's there. Is that something I should be concerned with or is it pretty typical on a almost 40 year old engine that is possibly sitll original because of the lack of rebuild plates anywhere. Also, to remove the heads, what kind of special socket is used to get the external bolts on the oil filter side of the engine. The guy who sold the truck to me was doing the heads on another Deuce and he had a time getting them off. Thanks again guy's, what do you think?

-Kelly Gerber

TacticalTruck

Hey Kelly
A little weeping from the head gaskets is acceptable. There was a note about it in PS mag at one point. It when the compression ring blows out the back of #6 you'll need to do something. :) but not now.
I think Star Electric has the head bolt wrench. I made one by welding the end of a box wrench to a socket. I have found it is easier to pull both heads at once with the manifolds still attached (if you can lift the entire assembly) and be sure to use the lastest black head gaskets.
Jeff

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a NOS wrench from saturn. But don't worry about the weeping head gaskets. It's normal. Just check the oil often.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike brings up a great point. Once you've removed the fenders once and antiseized the bolts, they are pretty easy to remove. Any major engine work including swapping the injection pump is best accomplished with the fender(s) out of the way. No need at all to remove the radiator to accomplish this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks