• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GM 302 Distributor

scjarena

Does anyone know what civilian distributor will fit on the M211 302? My truck came with the distributor missing. I heard one from a 50-53 GM truck will work. I don't mind wiring just to test the engine before I would consider buying the 24V Mil. distributor.

Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
try one from a 235/216 chevy 6

or a gmc-302, 270, 248, 228

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Does anyone know what civilian distributor will fit on the M211 302? My truck came with the distributor missing. I heard one from a 50-53 GM truck will work. I don't mind wiring just to test the engine before I would consider buying the 24V Mil. distributor. Thanks
I THINK an SS member has one in the classifieds. I bought a few things from him and they were good stuff!!

Sorry...wish I remembered his SS name...check the classifieds??

artica5105

I used one from a 1954 Chevy Bel Air 235 L6, Cardone branded, from Advance Auto Parts (part #30-1609). Had to use a collar type clamp, instead of the two hold down clamps found on the military distributor. It cost about $55 with core charge.

I don't remember if I couldn't readily find a civilian GMC 270 or 302 distributor or if I was too cheap to by one.

Good luck

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
From Wikipedia:

The 302 GMC inline six was produced from 1952 to 1960, when it was replaced by the V6. It has a 4.00" bore and 4.00" stroke. Connecting rod length was 7.000". This is the largest raised-deck engine. It was originally designed for the GMC military M135 and M211. It was used in military 2.5 ton trucks with the HydraMatic transmission, however the engine was a sealed engine for snorkel/submersion use, had an electric fuel pump, and other features such as a deep sump oil pan. From 1952-1959, GMC manufactured the civilian 302 engine which was not sealed, had a mechanical fuel pump, and used a "standard" oil pan. This engine is popular with hotrod enthusiasts because it delivers tremendous power for an inline six engine, is truck built with a heavy cast block, and can take quite a bit of abuse.

At one time there were a lot of aftermarket speed parts (intakes, headers, camshafts, etc.) for this engine.

I would try to keep it original unless you are not concerned with having civy parts on it. There should be plenty of stock parts available thru the surplus outlets if you can't find on via SS.

JasonS

I have used 235 distributors with success. I converted my prior M35 gassers to civvy distributors and never looked back. You can keep it 24V if you use enough ballast resistors.

You can convert HEI distributors to fit. Mallory also makes (made?) unilite and dual poiint disributors for that engine.

Atomic

[There should be plenty of stock parts available thru the surplus outlets if you can't find on via SS. /QUOTE]

Yes there are parts out there. One of the larger ones just quoted me $250.00 for six spark plug wires. :shock::shock:

Now I'm thinking about putting a diesel in.

AMGeneral

This engine is popular with hotrod enthusiasts because it delivers tremendous power for an inline six engine, is truck built with a heavy cast block, and can take quite a bit of abuse.

They don't call em "stove bolts" for nothing!!

YkDave

They were called a 'stove bolt' because the design of the bolt heads used on the engine closely resembled the style of bolts used during that era on stoves/boilers ;)

regardless, like any I6 engine, its hard to kill them.

Personally i wouldnt put any significant amount of money into one of these engines to keep it running (ie $250 spark plug wires LOL). They are decent engines, but their are many other better ones out there that one could swap into the truck!

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
go to autozone, get a set of 235 chevy wires, will be A LOT CHEAPER then 250, or get a roll of plug wire ( 8m) and some clips and make your own

Last edited:

JasonS

This engine is popular with hotrod enthusiasts because it delivers tremendous power for an inline six engine, is truck built with a heavy cast block, and can take quite a bit of abuse.

They don't call em "stove bolts" for nothing!!
I'm not an expert but I've spent years behind the wheel of a 302 powered vehicle. It IS popular with the vintage hot rod crowd because it competed with the flathead ford V8. As far as "tremendous" power..... Well, I would disagree. I has miserable siamese ports and four main bearings. There really isn't anything special about it. Any run of the mill 350 will out do it at any speed. Getting "tremendous" horsepower means re-engineering the engine from the ground up and spending significant $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Get a civilian distributor and forget about about expensive maintenance.

SMALBLK327

Oh, I almost forgot, the distributor he has on there for the m211/m135, will NOT fit your truck...just FYI...Looks ALMOST identical except the aluminum housing that goes into the block is much too long....

CAPSARME

i still have a couple, and enough components to rebuild a few distributors. I havent posted much as things have been nothing sort of crazy around here. PM me and I will set you up, and at a very good price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks