• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Reo gasser part number lookup?

Mike DeHart

Hello all. My brother bought an M35, 1953 Studebaker, Reo gas engine, in fairly good original condition. One problem is the old rubber insulated wires are crumbling. I bought a wiring harness that was described as "main harness M35 gas engine." I am trying to determine if I did get the correct harness or if I got a self inflicted wound. The harness is well made, newer production, Douglas metal connectors, and looks really good. I found the harness numbering scheme in the resources area and verified that this one has an ignition coil wire, which gives me confidence it is correct. However, I bought the harness as a Christmas gift so I can't do a side by side comparison. Does someone have the parts manual for this model? I was told the proper manual is "ORD 9 G 742." If this book is in your library would you look up some harness numbers for me, please? The box label has the following info:

NSN 2590-00-736-8584
CAGE 00642
P/N XH7204
HARNESS, CHASSIS WIR.
1 EACH
ITEM 0001
C 8/94

Which number is the one from the manual? 8/94 looks like a build date, confirmed by a 4/93 date code on the wires. Did I get the right item? What other harnesses do I need to refit this truck? What part numbers should I be looking for?

Thanks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did that come out of Hesperia, CA? If it did that should be the right harness. If you have the bigger alt there is a small "harness kit" that you can get from Saturn Surplus or Front Line to install that. If you look under the TM's in the resources section and look in the 1965 manuals, they will cover the gassers.

Mike DeHart

Yes, it did come out of Hesperia. I don't know which alt is on the truck. I didn't know there was more than one option there. Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll check into it. The harness was listed on ebay for $85 "buy it now" only + $15 shipping & handling. I don't know if he has any more. The seller was militarysurplusparts. He had a lot of deuce parts listed as well as newer vehicle stuff.

JasonS

They are close enough, with a few minor changes, to use for a multi-powered truck as well. Not all have provisions for turnsignals, though.

Crazyguyla

I think i have the same harness. It has more connections for circut breakers than my original harness, i think i got a harness for the tractor. If you decide to go with packard (rubber) connectors, you can convert a multi fuel harness by adding the wire for the distributor. I think the multi harness used the wire for the dist to power the flame heater. Besides turn signals, starter relay, and some sensors in diffrent locations, the harnesses aren't to different. I have a multifuel harness in my gasser.

Barrman

Multifuel harness works fine on a Gasser. Just use the flame heater wire to the coil. Everything else is the same. Now, if you are looking for Douglas fittings. Then, you have to find the correct harness. PM ZiggyO. He had some still in the wrapper.

Mike DeHart

Thanks for the replies. I am confident now that this is the right harness for this truck. Does anyone have the ORD 9 G742 book? Would you be willing to copy me on the page that lists the harnesses for this truck? Or maybe just tip me off to what harness part numvbers I should be looking for? I know there is at least a harness to the tail lights, maybe more. I am not new to antique car restoration, just new to military trucks. I don't have the resources at hand to look up parts for the big toys.

Crazyguyla

Thanks for the replies. I am confident now that this is the right harness for this truck. Does anyone have the ORD 9 G742 book? Would you be willing to copy me on the page that lists the harnesses for this truck? Or maybe just tip me off to what harness part numvbers I should be looking for? I know there is at least a harness to the tail lights, maybe more. I am not new to antique car restoration, just new to military trucks. I don't have the resources at hand to look up parts for the big toys.
TM 9-2320-209-34P lists the harnesses for the gasser too. Here is the link for the manual, TM 9-2320-209-34P . The manual should be in the TM section of resources.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks