• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Big boy tools for deuce

mikey

OK, So I am probably three months away from delivery of my first deuce. Now I need some help with tools. I did search but didn't find much more than a tool per thread. Haven't found anything like a good "starter kit" for newbs. I know that TM 10-1 has a list of tools at the end, but many seem obsolete. A file cabinet? Really?

I am not a mechanic, but plan on doing all the work I can on the deuce. Thanks to Helms manuals I currently do all the work on my ATV and motorcycle. I figure with the TM's and this website, I should be OK on the deuce. I have tools for the bike / atv, but those are prolly kiddy tools compared to what I need for the deuce.

So, I have a few questions...

1. Would it be correct to assume that everything that should come standard with a deuce will be missing? Bottle jack's, air hose etc etc?

2. Here is a brief list of what I think I need. Any additional must have suggestions?

20k tow line
5 ton bottle jack
3/4" socket set
breaker bar
torque wrench (see below)
impact wrench (see below)

3. I believe I need a torque wrench. What range should it cover? 25-250 ft/lb?

4. I am assuming the air hose will be missing. What size air hose so that I can run it from the compressor? 100' x 3//8"?

5. Can anyone recommend an impact wrench that works well with the compressor?

Links to specific tools you recommend would be awesome. Recommendations for additional tools would be appreciated as well. I'm a total newb so I could be missing the obvious. All recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Mikey

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most wrenching can be done with standard hand tools. I would get a cheap 1" set of sockets (Harbor Fright or similar) for the lug nuts. You will need extensions, a breaker bar and cheater pipe to make changing tires easier.

Having air tools with impact sockets is a plus for working on the beast. The duece does not put out enough air to run air tools very well. Mostly good for airing up tires.

Unless you are going to rebuild the engine I would not buy a torque wrench....you would need a big one and you can rent them instead of buying one to use once in a blue moon.

I prefer tow chains to straps but that is just my preference.

If you need to service the wheel bearings or remove the hub to get to the brakes you will need a big socket for the nut that holds the bearings in place. I have tapped them off with a chisel but it mars the surface of the nut.

There is prob a thread that gives a better list but I am search deficient.

Troll1216

I just did a air line with some advice from recovery4x4.

Go to a truck stop and get a gladhand, 50 ft of hose, and a female qd fitting - assemble these. Also get a tire inflator that will keep you out of the way of the front of the rims. please read up on split rims.

A set of LARGE rubber or 6"x6" wheel chocks

Read the posts

search fior "GREAT LIST " for picking up your Deuce! aswell

Attachments

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no problem running a 3/4" impact with my deuce. I have a glad hand and air hose with quick disconnects. Set the throttle at about 1300 rpm and let her rip. Much better than grunting with the tire irons.

Heavysteven

1/2 socket set
3" wheel bearing nut
3/4 torque wrench
10 ton bottle jack
6 ton safety stands
1 1/2 x 13/16 budd socket
1/2 impact gun
3/4 impact gun
Vise grips
Geared wrenches set
Brake power bleeder
Air compressor wrench

All I can think of so far.

littlebob

And I've used the compressor wrench to take off the wheel bearing nut. I've seen the geared wrench and need to get one, it comes in really handy when the inner nut
tries to turn on the dual rears and is a leverage multiplier.

paulfarber

Unless you are gonna be messing with suspension components you will not need 3/4 or 1in sockets. There are some big bolts/nuts, but other than torque arms and spindle nuts I can't think of any really big fasteners that get touched during normal maintenance.

You also forgot JACK STANDS! HF sells some big ones that will easily hold the axle up.

Budd wrenches come up on e-bay... I've seen them for $10 + ship.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used my 3/4" set dozens of times with the deuce. I can't imagine not having it.:cookoo:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Chinese tool store (Harbor Frieght) has a 3/4" impact socket set that comes with a bud nut socket and is cheap. You can always find a 20% off coupon for even better deals. Lately I've been getting them out of the American Rifleman mag and Flying Mag has them too.

Dittos on the 6 ton HF jack stands.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks