• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo ID

bones1

Hi. Going to go and look at a few M35A2's a local truck dealer just got tomorrow and being new at this I was wondering how to tell the difference between turbos. Also if the trucks have been rebuilt where would I look for that information or tag as well. Thanks Steve.

TACTICAL6

the C turbo (AKA whistler) has a snail shell shaped housing (the rusty portion) and the D has the same diameter through out.
-wsucougarx

You can also hear the difference. The C turbo whistles and the D doesn't. The C turbo might on the 1969 and earlier trucks. The C turbo is older than the D turbo. The D turbo is more durable than the C because it has a heat shield.

bones1

Thank You guys and it is a big help. And what quick service too. There are 4 of these on the dealers lot right next to the highway and I have wanted one as long as I can remember but for fear of ending up with a collection like you folks have I have never bought one.........yet. One time in the 70's I bought a 57 chevy Belair, that same year I had 7 of them and kick myself for not having them now.

I know just one of the trucks is a drop bed, c model I believe, all are between $4200.00-$4500.00. Maybe a little high we'll see.

Thanks again for you time.

randygk

watch out for breeding

In August I didn't know what an M35A2 was. I am now part owner of 6 of them- 1 in hand, 5 more awaitnig EUC clearance from GL. It's my brothers fault.
Buy one and enjoy it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I might. Here is a link to it, from the picture it looks like a "C".
M35AZ
Ok, two different things: An M35A2C means it has a dropside bed. Correct, the truck in your ad is a dropside.

A "C Turbo" refers to the model of the turbocharger installed - has nothing to do with whether the truck itself is a C model or not. Any M35 can have a "C" or "D" model turbo and the only way to tell is to listen or look at the turbo.

The truck in the ad looks clean and complete (I notice that even the rear cargo strap is there) and 4500 seems retail-level pricing. However, for a first truck you may have added piece of mind buying from an outfit that services/repairs these trucks and goes over them before selling.

bones1

Well I did see all five of the M352's and a nice M818 he had for sale. One was a M352AC and all were just picked up from the Goverment Liquidation in Ft Meade I suppose. Nothing but Armor All on the tires looked like it was done to them and the one I was after had a bad tailgate and a badly dented hood although all the rear tires were pretty new. It did have a small teardrop shaped metal tag that read DWO 9 /89. What is this?. I don't know if they even run because nobody was really interested in selling them apparently. I did see a few cans of starting fluid in most of the trucks. The next truck over had a winch and if I could combine the two I could build a nice truck but not at $4500.00 a piece. I think I will pass on these.

bratpackdad

C or "Whistler" turbo is narrow the D is a bit wider. I have a D and would not get a C. They are just too loud.
But then again; I went to a concert and it was too loud. 2cents

JasonS

"DWO 9 /89"
MWO was probably the addition of seat belts.
They also had a 427 turbo.
While that turbo has been widely claimed as from an LDS-427, I found a manual indicating that it was acutally an early LDT turbo. I don't have the info right at hand, though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks