• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

50 Dollar Deuce Bobber Mirrors and brackets

colelkhunter

When i bought my bobber project it had no mirrors or brackets. Obviously you need them as I almost ran over several people driving it home this way. I never liked the big bulky brackets that the military provides and wanted something tighter to the cab that would still allow me to see what was beside me on the road and trail. I knew I wanted a west coast style mirror and a small convex mirror to see my blind spots. So here is what I came up with after a little investigation and some shop class level skills. The stock brackets are nothing more than round tubing that has been smashed closed on the ends to create a flat surface. I CAN DO THAT? Yep, you can with a shop vise and some 3/4 EMT conduit from your favorite home improvement store. I made mine so that they were 11 inches from the side of the windshield frame. This is achieved by cutting the emt 13" long and flattening 2" on one end and 1" on the other. Now gently bend the 2" flat end at a 90 degree angle and drill 4 pilot holes for attachment to the windshield frame. The other end drill one hole centered to fit the mirror of your choice. I found mine at a local truck supply for 15.00 for the pair. The 6" convex mirrors were 20.00 for the pair. i went to "the depot" and bought 2 1/8 thick angle brackets and cut them to length as a drop down bracket for the convex mirror. Got one 8" piece of 3/4 EMT conduit. Attached them to the windshield frame using a TEK brand self tapping screw with a rubber washer on it designed for roofing. Worked perfectly. Very strong bracket that does not vibrate when truck is running down the road. If I do happen to bend or break one of them on the trail, I have enough left over conduit to made another bracket in about 10 minutes. Painted it all in rustoleum flat black and good to go. Looks great and I can see behind me now. Life is good.

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Great fab job....I did the same thing since I did not like the "elephant ear" mirrors on my M275.

You are going to have an issue with them being pushed back by the force of the wind pushing on them going down the road. That is why they have all the arms on the stock set up.

You might want to consider a brace running to the body just behind where the hood closes.

colelkhunter

Wreckerman, I made a couple of braces for that very purpose. I figured I would give it a week or two of driving to see how they were effected. i got her up to about 55 today cruising in the rain and could not see a problem, but I am with you. When the new wears off they may move in the wind.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks