• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Turbo part number/ID

JasonS

There have been a lot of posts requesting identification of turbochargers. I don't think that any have been comprehensive or completely correct. I copied the below summary from a thread in the old steelsoldiers site. IIRC, the original poster copied it from a military manual. I added notes in parantheses. It appears that the most correct way to identify a turbo is not by engine series (C or D) but by the part number. I have pictures of several of the turbos but I'd like other SS members to fill in the gaps. Note that the turbo commonly claimed as LDS-427 is actually an early "C" turbo.

Schwitzer P/N 4LE-354 FOR LDS-465-1A
Schwitzer P/N 3LD-305 (old type) & 3LJ-319 (whistler) FOR LDT-465-1C
Schwitzer P/N 4-456 FOR LDS-465-1
Schwitzer P/N 4LE-456 FOR LDS-465-2
Schwitzer P/N 4D-454C FOR LDS-427-2
Schwitzer P/N 4D-554 FOR MACK ENDT-673

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, your close. The first pic is for the LDS427. The last pic is from the LDS465. The third pic looks like a "C" turbo. I',m drawing a blank on the second one, cause I can't see the exhaust side.

The Schwitzer P/N I got off a "C" turbo is 1468459. Never looked at the other turbos I have, but I can get other numbers if enough people want them.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As has been said over and over, the C or D designation of the turbo, has no correlation to the engine version on the engine data tag.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, your close. The first pic is for the LDS427. The last pic is from the LDS465. The third pic looks like a "C" turbo. I',m drawing a blank on the second one, cause I can't see the exhaust side.

The Schwitzer P/N I got off a "C" turbo is 1468459. Never looked at the other turbos I have, but I can get other numbers if enough people want them.

Pics 2, 3 and 4 are of the same turbo, Its a 'gated turbo off of an LDS engine.

JasonS

The one that you are claiming is off an LDS427 is a 3LD-305 (have one right in front of me). According to the list that I posted, it is an early LDT465-C.

hoop

*TM 9-2815-204-35
(CONTINENTAL MODEL LDS-427-2)
Schwitzer Corp. . . . . . . . . 4-450 (Early model engines)​
Schwitzer Corp. . . . . . . . . . . 4D (Late model engines)

So maybe the 3LD-305 is not a 427 turbo.

stb64

hi all!
i have always been wondering about the C and D turbo designations that many people use, as i have never found them in any manual or on any turbo, they seem nonsense to me.
just check the data plates on the turbos.
on both LDT465 engine types, the turbo data plate is hard to see, it is on the bearing housing, facing the engine block: 3LJ319 for the whistler, 3LM39 for the non whistler .
LDS 427-2 turbos have their data plates on the compressor housing, so they can be seen without removing the turbo: 4-450 (early model), and 4-454 (late model)
some manuals state 4D for the late model LDS 427-2

stb64

there is a nice picture of the early LDT465-1C turbo in the 1978 multifuel engine TM 9-2815-210-34 page 3-11 figure 3-14

also, i was wrong on the late model LDS 427-2 turbo, it should be 4D454C like JasonS wrote, not 4-454

Attachments

AMGeneral

Actually,there are 2 different turbos used on the ENDT 673 Mack,the early(and much larger) turbo looks like the early LDS turbo w/no wastegate and the later is smaller both on the drive and compressor end,still no wastegate.

I'll try to post pictures later.....

tm america

ok if these numbers are correct..is there anyway we could put some pics to the numbers to make it easier to identify them...Stb64 i'm guessing the turbo you have in the pic is an lds 427 turbo?

JasonS

ok if these numbers are correct..is there anyway we could put some pics to the numbers to make it easier to identify them...Stb64 i'm guessing the turbo you have in the pic is an lds 427 turbo?
There are part numbers on the turbo pics that I posted but you have to move your mouse over the top for it to be displayed.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the LDS-465-1 was the wastegated turbo and the LDS-465-1A was non wastegate. At least that is the way all the LDS-465's I have worked with were.

Or is this kinda like the one hole vs two hole injector issue...............

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm gonna stick with C or D(right or wrong). It's easier than teaching the world numbers. We all call them c or d or what's this turbo. It's worked for the last 20 years. right wrong or whatever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks