• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bitten by a drill.

Josh

Sorry to hear about your mishap! I would like to know what you were doing when it happened so I don't repeat your accident.

I was drilling a hole threw a plastic sink to install a ziptie to keep a washer drainhose from poping out. ( I repair/install appliances for a living). The sink wasnt secured to the ground. Used the left hand to hold the sink in place and the finger got stuck between the little gap at the top, right as the drill poped out.

It was in the middle of my first delivery, and had 3 more that day. Made for a fun afternoon for sure.

Surprisingly it doesnt hurt at all today unless I wack it on something. Might be from the leftover painkillers from my last injury though.

waayfast

Dang, that had to hurt Josh!Glad it was not worse and that you are now on the mend.

I knew of a helicopter logging pilot that ran out of fuel--- the crew got to calling him "Vapor"---are you gonna end up being called "Drill Bit"?:D

(sorry I just couldn't resist!:D, Jim)

rickf

Definitely get it looked at, a deep down infection can lead to blood poisoning or even gangrene! I can tell you that grinders also bite. They bite real hard when you have a brand new flap disc wheel and you catch your thumb with the edge of it. That was last May and it has not completely healed yet! Still getting pieces of steel and disk out of it. Yep, have it looked at.

Rick

jesusgatos

Ugh. Sorry to hear about that, but at least you weren't drilling a bigger hole.

Got an old Hole Hawg 1/2" drill that my Grandpa gave men, and that thing has put the hurt on a few people in it's day.

Definitely get it looked at, a deep down infection can lead to blood poisoning or even gangrene! I can tell you that grinders also bite. They bite real hard when you have a brand new flap disc wheel and you catch your thumb with the edge of it. That was last May and it has not completely healed yet! Still getting pieces of steel and disk out of it. Yep, have it looked at.

Rick
Wire wheels are even worse.

7Dust

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well - I was gonna try and hit the nopicsbutton before someone else could...

But I see you posted a pic right away.

I got nuthin. :|

XanRa

hurts just thinking about it.... and even more so having to back it out.....

also i get a tetnus shot every cpouple of years to my "self-inflicted" wounds and other cuts gashes and leaksaua never end up getting stitches though....:roll:

91W350

I have done my share of stupid things with tools and somebody else's too. The one that hurt the most was testing an air tamper I had just repaired. We made a test tube outside the shop door for jack hammers, tampers etc... Basically it was a heavy walled 5" steel pipe with a hinged slotted lid. Inside the pipe was an automotive spring with a 1.5" X 5" in diameter steel plate disk attached to the top of the spring. You stuck the tool bit in the hole, slapped the lid shut around the shank and fired away. It worked really slick. One of the guys asked me question while I had the tamper banging away and I looked over. The right foot caught at least two strikes, probably three. I did not want to take my boot off as I could feel the warm ooze between my toes and under my sole. Knowing I probably would not be able to put it back on if I took it off, I did it anyway. The four largest toes had the nails smashed down into the toe and the end of the toes were bleeding as well. Lost all four nails in the long run, no broken bones in the short run and man oh man, did it ever hurt to walk. The throbbing sensation came and went over the next three days.

I feel your pain, hope it does not get infected and that you can have a great Christmas. Glen

Takai13

Lost a my right big toenail to a horse when I was younger. Just snapped the nail and mashed up the toe. It took forever to grow back. Josh you should definitely have that checked. I am fairly certain that bit wasn't sterile. The risk of infection is relatively high. Better safe than sorry.

Josh

Ive lost my finger nails before. Mostly due to a smash though.

Today was pretty brutal. I kept wacking it into things. I hit the e-brake release on my service truck today, and the pedal came shooting back and smashed right into my finger. Didnt hurt, but it did make my entire arm up to the elbow go numb for about 10 minutes. Talk about a weird feeling.

Doctor couldnt squeeze me into today, got an appt. tomorrow am. Doc said with in 72 hours is fine, so all should be good.

mudguppy

yeah.... consider that nail gone.

when i did something like that the actual worst pain came the next day when the split in the nail had fully clotted and there was no where for the fluid and building pressure to go. OMG did it throb.

i finally peeled the nail half open to relieve the pressure - wow did the pain that made the rest of the pain go away feel sooooo good...

after you get it looked at, i'd tape it to your middle finger (this was index, right?). that way, you don't have it sticking out in the air when you're trying not to use it - that seems to be when i hit a hurt finger the most.

good luck. take care of it.

When I had just started.college in 1970, the metal shop instructor was doing a.home.project after the last class. He was using a drill press to drill a small hole (1/4-1/2") in a piece of sheet metal. The drill bit stuck. So, now the.piece of sheet metal was rotating at the.drill speed. It looped off a couple.of his fingers. Now he is.stumpy. Think about what you are.fixing to do. What could go wrong? What is.the.safe way to perform this job? Safety first! No.short cut for time is.worth the risk of injury.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many years ago I drilled through my left hand right between the center two knuckles. Fortunately I had a reversible drill. As I remember it didn't bleed much; did hurt like h&!!. I cleaned it up with peroxide and used super glue on both sides. Fixed me right up. No scars now.

I don't hold things I'm drilling any more....

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mega dittos on the infection control! Had blood poisoning twice, second time was a 4 day stay in the hospital with both arms hooked up with antibiotics running 24 hours a day. Extremely unpleasant, not to mention the Navy chow was even worse in the hospital than it was in the chow hall

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks