• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dukw?

JeremyB

Hello all,
I own an M35A2 W/W for now, but would like to see if it is possable to still buy a DUKW that is able to be repaired? know that it would be a huge process , but I will only live once.

Thank you

FrankUSMC

Yes, get out the check book.
But, you will never find a military vehicle that is that fun to drive!! I never got the chance to drive on on the water, but on the highway, it was a BLAST!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, In the 1950s and 1960s when they were "commom". They would be bought just to have the bodies cut off, the frames shorten and made into log skids. Military vehicle dealers just could not sell them, no body wanted them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are non-restored units out there in good enough condition that you could do them back to stock, but even an unrestored worn out DUKW will cost you $30K.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was one in a storage place outside Branson, MO, there was a number but no price. I am sure it was one of vehicles they use commercially there in Branson.

68427vette

a few floaters just sold for under 20K. within the last month,, DONT buy the one in cinn ohio,, RUST BUCKET,, i have one,, needs alot of parts, decent hull, still needs panels,, jc

paulfarber

Any MV is going to cost $$$. I know there are at least two commercial tour outfits that still operate WWII DUKWs and sell them/have parts. Plus there are LOTS of parts sources. Crappy part is that most of those parts are overseas in Europe.

ANY MV is cheaper to buy restored than to restore... but a DUKW is not rare or hard to find.

From what I have seen looking for CCKW parts the above is pretty close... a hull in restorative shape is $10-15K but will most likely still need another $20k in parts and metalwork.

Most of these $60k+ DUKWs are not selling. They are not worth it. $40-50k is a decent price for a restored and complete unit.

And remember, buy the truck, not the story.

Steve Greenberg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dukw

Hello,
I would suggest buying a DUKW if you can find one in good condition. The hull is the most important thing to look at. Most DUKW's are stored outside and the weather can be hard on the hull. I bought my DUKW 20 years ago and it has been the funest MV I have ever owned. I am lucky I live close to 2 rivers that I go out in quite a bit. You may want to contact Hank Labarbra in Chicago. hank@dukw.com He has some DUKW's for sale and lots of parts. Here are a few photos from the 2008 MVPA Convention in Portland, OR. We had 3 DUKW's in the water! The photo of the LST was back in the early 90's. The LST was privatly owned and the we took many Veterans on board with my DUKW during reunions and other events.
Happy Holidays,
Steve:cool:

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Steve, is 100% dead on. Look at the hull.
My friend who was in charge of 8th Motors at Camp Lejeune in the 1950s told me that he always had two FULL TIME welders just taking care of the hulls on the DUKWs they had.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

jumpinford

Heres one listed for sale.

Price: $92,500 :shock:
Thats Jack Tomlin's old Dukw isnt it? I moved down the road from him a few years ago, and the first chance I had to meet him he offered for me and my boy to ride in that or a halftrack in the 4th of July parade up here. We opted for the halftrack, but it was a good time.

Was real sad when he died, I swear he was the nicest guy anyone could ever meet.

By the way, this is my first post. I am really glad I found this place. Was lookin for info on an M37 a buddy just bought, and have been thinkin about getting another M109 (had a gas powered REO back in 2000) and have been reading here every day for weeks. Yall seem like a great buncha folks

Heres a pic of me and my boy in the halftrack. Were in the back :)

Attachments

paulfarber

As far as DUKW tour operators there is a big one in FL, one in Philly, the one mentioned in D.C., and another I believe in Chicago.

I'm sure DUKWs are great fun, but like the old saying goes 'Jack of all Trades, Master of none'. I don't think a DUKW would be my first choice to run to Lowes for drywall, or haul some stones or dirt. Maybe if I have to cross a lake to get to them :) The cargo area is just not that accessible.

paulfarber

I suppose you have done a google search:

dukw for sale - Google Search

even a realtor selling a 'completely rebuilt' one for $50K

DUKW WWII DUCK FOR SALE

Mike
"This is a rare opportunity to own a fully restored piece of history"

I hope the Realator is a bit more honest when she sells a home. This is as blatant a lie as they come. Even at $25k you are still missing TONS of parts and have years of work. I'd be hard pressed to see $15k worth of MV. All the collectible bits are missing.

Like I said, not rare, not hard to find.. buyer beware.

oldMan99

As far as DUKW tour operators there is a big one in FL, one in Philly, the one mentioned in D.C., and another I believe in Chicago.
And 2 in Boston. I think there a few in England as well but I'm not sure.

I'm sure DUKWs are great fun, but like the old saying goes 'Jack of all Trades, Master of none'. I don't think a DUKW would be my first choice to run to Lowes for drywall, or haul some stones or dirt. Maybe if I have to cross a lake to get to them :) The cargo area is just not that accessible.
I have always wanted one. Not to actually "Do" anything with but I bet a DUKW full of $100 bills that it would be a blast and a half to drive around, "Just because". Especially if you lived close to water that you could drive into.

Would be the best vehicle I can think of to use in a place hit by flooding as well. I'm surprised they are not sought out by fire departments in flood prone areas.

The down side is you have all the maintenance of a Deuce and all the maintenance of a boat....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks