• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Speed

reblawyer

Any one have an idea what the speed on the pto shaft is at engine idle? Is it about a one to one ratio with the engine rpm's?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gerhard, thanks! Thats about as easy to understand as I've seen. I had no idea that those tranny gears were different resulting in a different PTO speed. Its a good day, I've learned something already

reblawyer

Thanks for all that info!! With hurricane season upon us, I was thinking about laying my hands on a generator head and setting up some type of belt drive connection off of the PTO to drive it.

mrpilotron

Thanks to Google, I found this long-dead thread that has exactly the information I needed. Sorry to revive such a relic, but for the benefit of other newbie Googlers who stumble across this, I'd like to add just a bit of additional info to the PTO speed diagram that I had to spend some time looking up. My colorblind eyes didn't initially pick up on the color coding, but closer inspection shows that 2 different transmissions are covered in a single diagram. The PTO will spin at different speeds depending on which transmission you have. The top numbers relate to the much less commonly found Spicer 3052. The bottom numbers relate to the more commonly found Spicer 3053A, which is easily identified by the goofy shift pattern having 4 & 5 in the "wrong" place and is almost universally found behind the multi fuel engines. The rear output shaft may or may not exist on your transmission PTO. If it's there, it is a great way to spin a hydraulic pump. Unlike the front output shaft that can be shifted, it runs only one direction and speed. What is not shown here (it's in the TM) is that the rear shaft has its own engagement fork that allows it to operate independent of the front output shaft.

It may be worth mentioning here that a completely separate PTO can be mounted on the transfer case which might be an option for someone looking to add a hydraulic pump. It would require shifting the transfer case to neutral and placing the transmission in the gear of your choice to get stationary hydraulic pressure.

Do you mean for the transmission PTO? Here it is...

(Hope my diagram is understandable to everyone...)

Gerhard

ballencd

Does this "completely separate PTO" operate all the time the transmission is spinning? Or another way to ask. Can you drive the truck w/o the PTO in operation?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks