• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transfer case air cylinder leaking

Smokinyoda

My air shift cylinder appears to have an internal leak. Whenever I engage it air blows out of the vent on top of transfer case. It is bad enough that truck air drops to 60 psi when engaged, and compressor never shuts off.

Is this something that can be rebuilt or does it need to be replaced? What about buying a used one from a parts truck?

Looking at a picture of the assembly from the tm, it looks like its going to be a nightmare to work on.

Does anyone who has been through this before have any advice to offer?

jdgreen

Banned
On my mobile right now give me a hr ill post up what u need. Check my thread called 5 ton sprag stuck.

I called memphis got all seals for the rebuild. Took about a hr to do and cost under $50 in parts. A lot easier to rebuild then to mess with getting another used one out of a truck.

Sorry i didnt see the deuce post. My fault.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
only the same that it is round.

Some will say you can get the cyl. off yours as it is real tight up againest the cross member but doable.
I found it to be real tight and did not want to tap/rap on it.
The outher way that was posted take an old correct scocket and grind two flat sides so you can get a wrench on it or make some like that. take off the nut that holds on the piston and remove piston and cylinder as one peice.

Smokinyoda

Well I tried adding oil to the air line that feeds the cylinder, hoping the seal had just dried up. Helped a little but not much, still leaks. And I was looking forward it to driving to work tomorrow in the snow we are supposed to get tonight.

Since the compressor does not shut off while its engaged I will not engage it until it is fixed.

Which brings me to my next problem. Anyone know who sells repair kits? I have checked rhe websites of the usual suppliers and cant find one, even checked ebay.

Anyone happen to have a spare repair kit laying around they wouldn't mind selling?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
only the same that it is round.

Some will say you can get the cyl. off yours as it is real tight up againest the cross member but doable.
I found it to be real tight and did not want to tap/rap on it.
The outher way that was posted take an old correct scocket and grind two flat sides so you can get a wrench on it or make some like that. take off the nut that holds on the piston and remove piston and cylinder as one peice.
This is how I pulled mine off. Didn't take that long once I had a socket fixed up. Believe it is 11/16, and ground the end of the socket to turn it with a wrench.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
special tools!

I have ground off and bent tools to meet specific uses also. I bought some of these wrench sockets and found them to be most useful in tight spots. I sometimes combine them with a crowsfoot for real tight spots.

Attachments

Bill W

Sounds like the v-lipped seal on the piston is bad
If you can't find it from one of the venders mentioned then check e-pay ( "M35A2") as I see them on there all the time
As mentioned getting it off with out dropping the transfercase is a bit tricky
For reference, heres a picture of the piston and seal, "Please note that this piston is on backwards and needed to be reversed so the wider/thicker end faces foward

Attachments

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

I called George at White Owl, and he fixed me right up with a kit for $32. Thanks Rick, I guess I overlooked them. Memphis Equipment wanted to sell me the entire cylinder for $107, they didnt carry a repair kit.

And thanks to everyone else for the shortcuts, special tool construction, and pictures. Thats why I like this site. No matter what goes wrong with my trucks, someone here has already had to deal with it, and can usually offer an easier way of fixing it!

Smokinyoda

Well this sucks,

After spending most of the afternoon getting that little booger off, replacing seal/washers and putting it back on... it still leaks!!!

Actually worse than before. The cylinder walls were scored and pitted so I polished up with some 1500 grit paper. Guess I took to much off, only way I can see it leaking worse.

Only thing I can think to do now is buy a new cyliinder. Memphis Equipment has them for $107 and they are only 1 hour away, unless someone has a better idea.

Worse thing about it is having to take that SOB back off again!!!:mad:

Smokinyoda

Thanks Bill, that looks like a complete cylinder kit. I just emailed the seller to see if he would sell me one now. His last 2 auctions for that item ended with no bidders so dont see the harm.

*edit Just found this for a better price. Looks like same thing. The entire cylinder cheaper than what I paid for just the seals...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330464283562&viewitem=

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks