• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alternate cold starting system to aid GP system

ranchhopper

I have been thinking on adding a cold starting aid to my CUCVs the old stand by block heaters work great but what about a more modern screen style that super heats the air being pulled into the intake. We have a lot of engineering type guys on here always fabbing things to modernize our trucks who could probably easily figure this one out. If one was to take a two or so inch piece of pipe stock the diameter of the intake and fab up a screen that fit inside with a + and - lead and could be energized by a pushbutton in the cab. As the screen heats up like a glow plug and super heats the air for the first start of the day in real cold climates just a thought. It was five degrees here yesterday morning and my push button fired GPs had no problem getting the engine started this system could be used in conjunction with the GP system in sub zero temps.

Capt.Marion

that is almost like the Grid heaters found on cummins motors.
I'm pretty sure that's what he was thinking of.

I think there's definitely a need for something better than the dang glowplugs in these things, but the point has been raised that since these things won't start without cycling the GPs even on an 80° day, you'd need some serious heat.

But, anything is better than those glow plugs, primarily because they rely on the CUCV's electrical system, which you can count on 100% always to have something wrong with it.

stampy

There is a great system made by Clarol. You plug it in (110v) turn it to hot and shove the nozzle into your cold air intake on the air intake then start the truck. It also works great for blow drying your hair.:lol: It's an old pilot trick to start aircraft engines:grd:

ranchhopper

I buy the canned 6.2 that have nice clean IPs on them usually the engines have had the heads replaced and use them for parts I take the newer pumps and replace the old worn IPs when I buy a 1008 or 1009 they start great even after sitting for hours in the cold after being shut off. I have a ford F350 at work for a company truck it has the grid style heater it starts in any weather even with the junk early 6.0 engine it has in it.

colelkhunter

I was thinking on this today. Very good idea and I think that it would be an easy upgrade. Think I would make up some kind of elbow off of the intake to house the grid heater, then have a airfilter element on the end of the elbow. Would most likely make the truck louder as a result.

67_C-30

The thing I would have against a grid heater in an IDI engine like a 6.2 is the ambient heat of the engine. 6.2's run hotter than Cummins or Powerstrokes, and that grid will absorb a lot of the ambient heat and will have an adverse effect on power. N/A diesels suffer from this WAY more than turbodiesels, and 6.2's are no powerhouse to begin with. I would suggest the block heater. Mine cranks with 1 5 or 6 second cycle of the GP's and has no after glows after it starts. The engine is quiet when it starts, and the heater is already blowing slightly warm. This will increase GP life. The grid heater would keep the GP's from cycling several times with a grid heater because the sensor is block mounted. (I know your's is manual, but I'm speaking in general).

Look at the dyno chart and note the effect on power with added heat. Again, N/A diesels are much more susceptible to added than are turbodiesels. Even the factory air duct off civi 6.2's helps with power in heat of the summer. They are very tempermental to heat, and you would adding heat in intake tract.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure that's what he was thinking of.

I think there's definitely a need for something better than the dang glow plugs in these things, but the point has been raised that since these things won't start without cycling the GPs even on an 80° day, you'd need some serious heat.

But, anything is better than those glow plugs, primarily because they rely on the CUCV's electrical system, which you can count on 100% always to have something wrong with it.

So, which electrical system would you connect a grid heater to?

adding a grid heater will add alot more electrical load, right when you need it most, while cranking.

They are indirect injection engines, by design they need assistance from the glow plugs.

I have NEVER had my CUCV NOT start because of cold weather.

67_C-30

So, which electrical system would you connect a grid heater to?

adding a grid heater will add alot more electrical load, right when you need it most, while cranking.

They are indirect injection engines, by design they need assistance from the glow plugs.

I have NEVER had my CUCV NOT start because of cold weather.
Ditto. And the 6.2 would never crank with a grid heater alone. They would have to used in conjunction with the glowplugs. It would be pointless IMO.

ranchhopper

I dont like the stock GP system I change them to push button when I buy a truck after the truck starts you can use the GP as needed to even the engine out after a start up on really cold days. I just thought this alternate system would help the more antiquated system out in colder climates. This is why I threw this out here for the opinions of others I can find better ways to waste my time if this system is a bad idea from the start and yes this system is used on primarily direct injection engines.

Last edited:

67_C-30

I dont like the stock GP system I change them to push button when I buy a truck after the truck starts you can use the GP as needed to even the engine out after a start up on really cold days. I just thought this alternate system would help the more antiquated system out in colder climates. This is why I threw this out here for the opinions of others I can find better ways to waste my time if this system is a bad idea from the start and yes this system is used on primarily direct injection engines.

Yes, I agree, and whenever they start giving trouble, I aways put in a push button too. Mine is working fine right now, so I haven't done anything to it yet. The block heater makes it where you don't have to use the GP's after the initial start, though. With the block heater, they crank running smooth and even, and doesn't have the normal loud clatter. The advance and high idle solenoid doesn't stay on long at all with plugged up. It really is much easier on the engine with block preheated, and for $40 its a great investment. Sure, they'll crank without them, but its much better with them.

I'll make a video clip in morning and show you how well it works. Its supposed to be in the low 20's, and I didn't even crank it today.

Last edited:

ranchhopper

I put a block heater in the 1008 I put the 6.5 in I never got the chance to use it the truck went to michigan after I put the 4 inch lift on it finishing it up. I also put the heater in it while the engine was on a stand I dont look forward to getting a face full of anti freeze punching out a freeze plug laying under the truck.

67_C-30

Well it didn't make into the low 20's, but it was 28 at 6:30 this morning when I started it up. I didn't even crank it yesterday. I have started this truck as low as 16 degrees and it does the same way, no smoking, no rough idling, no coughing or farting around. It cranks right up with no throttle and is as smooth as silk. I don't know how effective they would be in sub zero climates, but I have been running 6.2's with block heaters a long time, and they are great down to 10 degrees or so (that's as cold as I've ever seen it here).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG4r_dfWRy4[/media]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks