• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where do you get your oil tested?

houdel

Does anyone have a place they would recommend to have my engine oil tested? I've found a couple of places on the internet but know nothing about them. Average price seems to be in the $25 range. I'd want the usual trace metals tests plus soot. Maybe silica and pH, but they are not all that important to me. Anyplace you are reasonably satisfied with?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, this is a copy of a report I have. The $25 includes postage and all lab costs, it's prepaid when you purchase the package.
I also have a special purpose valve on the oil cooler to get the oil sample. It's army issue, I got it from another LDT465 engine.

Attachments

houdel

OK, Carolina Labs looks like the place to go, since they include silica and soot measurement, which most of the other places charge extra for. I've seen your posting before, just couldn't find it.

I did notice your soot, iron and chromium are elevated. Again. from spending too much time on the internet, elevated soot particles are the number 1 cause of engine wear. Soot particles are typically in the 20-60 micron size range, which exceeds the typical oil film thickness around bearings and pistons. Thus, the large soot particles cause wear of crankshaft, camshaft, bearings and pistons because they exceed the oil film thickness and essentially act as an abrasive between the aforementioned moving parts.

Have you ever considered a high efficiency bypass oil filter? Amsoil sells a BMK-12 unit which retails for $112.00 You can mount it off a "T" from your oil sender unit and it bypasses 10% of you oil flow through a high efficiency filter which remove 99% of all particulate 1 micron or larger in size. In essence, it removes all the soot from your oil and prevents the damage caused by soot contaminated oil. After a couple hours of running, you oill is essentially clean as fresh oil.

I am working with Amsoil to figure out a way to adapt thier BMK-13 remote filter, which incorporates a remote full flow filter with a high efficiency bypass filter to the Deuce filtration system. Just imagine the advantages of this setup. Immediate full oil pressure on engine startup (no wait time for the stock cannister filters to fill up), a spin off full flow filter, plus a high efficiency bypass filter all in one package! Hope I can get it to work.Just gotta figure out the right adapters to match the original Deuce filter base.

The full thread is at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=6656

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bypass oil filter sounds interesting, haven't thought about it, though.
I think the elevated soot levels comes from long periods of time at low rpms, running the crane.
I have gone back to Ursa 30 weight oil and will have another test following the CA trip. It should have a lot more high speed operation on it and may be different. (Biodiesel/veggi oil operation for most of the period too).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks