• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M149A2 Plumbing ??

jasonjc

So I got my M149A2 home the other day ,Thanks Wilber for getting it off post[thumbzup].

It's been picked clean as far as the plumming goes, even the air and brake lines and all that goes with that is gone. But this was in the GL pic's so I knew this going in.

From what I found it seems the water pipes on the front are copper alloy or brass.?. Is brass better than copper? What about SS? Are the pipes 1 1/4"? That seems big? What have you used or seen used? Are you using the original self closing drum faucet or the one's the PS mag says to use?:cookoo: Ok I'm trying to get a list of stuff I need to start getting for this thing and want to do it right the frist time. So yes I'm asking alot of ?? I want it as close to "TM" right as I can get with out spening big $$$ Any help would nice.

Anyone have a man hole cover sitting around any where???

I priced brass pipe and fitting from McMaster-carr $350.00:-o thats more than I paid for the trailer. And that did not include the valve , faucets and quick disconnnect.:-o

IMG_1559.jpgIMG_1560.jpgIMG_1563.JPGIMG_1565.JPG

jasonjc

Well I just scored 4 of the self closing drum faucets for it:jumpin::mrgreen:. Any one know or have a better dicsription of the valve for the front.

Patattack

we have a ton of those a2's in are motor pool, i think we have a lay out of the pluming some were ill try and find it.

cam point, the junkyard of the military.

goodguyzy

i think brass or SS would be better for freezing and hold up better to impacts, copper will split easy when frozen and dent easy with hit. i don't have a description of valve because i don't see a pic of it, or im blind.

Coldfusion21

intended use plays a big role in material selection i would guess.

And yes, i would imagine most of the plumbing (especially for potable water use) will add up quickly if purchased new.

jasonjc

Well I got all the "T's" and elbow's off epay the other day. Got a good deal I think. Still need to get the pipe. The drum faucets are not the same as the originals but are the right part number and NSN per the TM. But the PS mag says not to use these that they are not for popable water. The ones it's says to use look just like hose bibs so I may get some of those and put them on one side maybe:confused:

I still need to find a valve for the front. GL just sold a bunch of them. Did any one here get them???

IMG_1658.jpgIMG_1659.jpgIMG_1660.jpgIMG_1661.JPG

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The valve on mine is bad also. It doesn't leak but is frozen in the closed position (I've already broken the handle trying to open it). I've searched a little but haven't been able to come up with a valve yet. I have seen them on ebay in the past.

I use mine to water livestock and only use the rear spigot. It would be nice just to have the valve to keep it original but since I'm not using it I haven't looked too hard.

jasonjc

I have yet to see one on ebay. What have you seen them listed as under? There were some in lot that closed yestrday but it was over $1,200. Way too much for me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have yet to see one on ebay. What have you seen them listed as under? There were some in lot that closed yestrday but it was over $1,200. Way too much for me.
I have seen a couple but it has been quite a while ago. I haven't seen any since I've been in need of one but I haven't been looking much either. I don't recall what they were listed under or what they sold at.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the part numbers in the TM, carefully note the manufacturers part number and their CAGE code. Then go to a site like ALI > PartsMaster Menu and enter the part number (or NSN). It will generally give you some information as to who supplied the part - call them and ask about the part! Works for all sorts of military stuff.

harleyhouse

Email the ebay seller of the $1200.00 lot.
and ask him to contact the winning bidder for you
to see if they would sell the valve out of the lot.

Worth a shot, I have bought several items this way.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The word is PLUMBING, people. Just a spelling lesson so we don't all look like a bunch of public school grads, here.

jasonjc

Sorry I can't spell thats what I get for going to public school. I tryed to edit it but I got this :

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 263520 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

So if a mod what's to fix this for me great if not OK I will still sleep tonight.:p

jasonjc

Look at the part numbers in the TM, carefully note the manufacturers part number and their CAGE code. Then go to a site like ALI > PartsMaster Menu and enter the part number (or NSN). It will generally give you some information as to who supplied the part - call them and ask about the part! Works for all sorts of military stuff.
I did that using webFLIS and found the company that makes the newer valve. Thay had the parts to make 1 but want some thing like $600-$800 for it:roll:. A little toooo much for me to spend.
And I will add parts masters to my ref list. Thanks

Email the ebay seller of the $1200.00 lot.
and ask him to contact the winning bidder for you
to see if they would sell the valve out of the lot.

Worth a shot, I have bought several items this way.
It was a GL lot and I have an email in to them asking to be put in contact with the winner of the lot. It had some hyd valves in so I hope that is what they wanted.

jasonjc

GL passed on my info and I got an e-mail back already. I have the guys # for the stop check valve off the front of the M149A2:jumpin:. He's out of CA thought and when he get the lot back he will let me know a price. Any one eles needing one PM me your contact info and I will pass it on to him or maybe we can do a group buy.

jasonjc

Well I found a faucet box and a NOS clamp type air chamber for the brakes on epay.
Also found a set of 4 snubbing washer for mounting the tank to the frame.
Maybe I will find all the part to put it back together.

$(KGrHqFHJBUE8+mZ,sjZBP(YtqWwnw~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqRHJEgE88d2NTv!BP(Yt)V8rw~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqVHJEoE88d-k,2kBP(YtttL)!~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqEOKiEE1zSJSD9VBNqf-lRGY!~~_3.jpg$(KGrHqIOKiYE2of1(,woBNqf-jFNng~~_3.jpg

jasonjc

The mailman bought me a box today and in it was a new to me valve for the front of my M149A2:D:D Thanks to a fellow SS'er who had a used one. I now have one more pice to my M149A2 puzzle.

IMG_1819.JPGIMG_1820.JPG