• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Casa Azul show rebroadcast was just on the Travel Channel

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH MAN :roll:

When the producer of the show "RV Crazy" said that we'd be haunted by the show for the rest of our lives, he wasn't kidding.

Last Jaunary we were in the DEEEEP outback of Baja and a local rancher pulls up in his truck and says....Hey! I saw you guys on TV!

Sadly Casa Azul is down for at least the next year :( ...To get re-motored with a Cummins 6CTA (same as Libelula) and an Allison trani. :D

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not excatly sure Hot Rod Deuce.

After breaking the transfer-case in half on my last trip to the beach, I have come to realize that by having an underpowered motor (Detriot 8.2 fuel pincher) that I have been trying to make up for HP by over torquing my drive line...Thus broken u-joints and finally the t-case.

I have purchased a t-223H (the heavyduty model) and plan to install it when I re-motor. I also have obtained the mathmatical formulas to determine the loads on truck drive-lines and plan to setup the motor / trani to stay within a "safe" paramiter. My guess would be around 285 HP.

I know that allison tranis should be dyno'd with the motor so that they can be matched to each other.

I also know it will be a mechanical shift Allison as opposed to the electronic "world" trani in Libblula (that has been a HUGE pain in the ASS!).

hot rod deuce

Now what is a "T-223H"? you were not running a 2 1/2 ton case before that were you?

I too have heard of the dyno thing but how much doses it REALLY matter? We do repowers in all of our 120k pound class excavators to 300 HP truck motors and just run the "truck fuel curve" spring. On one of them i decided to buy the"excavator spring" and as far as digging it isnt even noticble. Even when you run it to full bypass and watch the turbo they respond the same. Just an example of some some thing that people say must be done that just dosent seem like as big of a deal as they make it out to be

thanks for the heads up on the world class allison, I found one from a 300 HP motor home and was about ready to give in and try the computer

Do you know of any 6 speed OD lockup allisons in mech set up?

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just had the T-223 in Casa and needless to say...I was thrilled to find an H series.

It sounds like you have heaps more knowlage than I do, Hot Rod. What I do know regarding boosting the ponies in the C motor is from the local Cummins "Guru" and that's about it.

I have done a bit of research reguarding matching a motor to an Allison and EVERYONE has told me to not exceed the HP limit of the trani!

I also have heard both sides of the "dyno together" story, and I will be erring on the side of caution...Give that Casa Azuls primary purpose is to take me and my loved ones deep into the outback of Baja and back.

As far as the world trani in Libelula goes...

Since she was a prototype and the world trani has a ATAC I computer, I can't be too judgemental on future versions. I'm told by people that use them that they are bomb proof.

I however am stuck with a trani that looses it brain every time you come to an abrupt stop or when the warm up idle is a little too high. I'm told that I could get an ATAC II computer and that it "might" solve my problems. Sadly to say...I'm not in the financial place to drop $2600. to "possibly" fix the problem right now.

I don't consider it a big issue right now because it will be a few years until I build her into another expedition camper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks