• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Machine tool coolant???

spicergear

I *may* have access to 300 - 400 gallons of machining coolant from a CNC machine shop. I used to work there and they used Castrol oil based coolants in certain machines. Anyone ever do anything with this type oil?

I've seen different things about cutting the the 'other than diesel oil' with gasoline...but what's a good ratio? 50% gas, 50% other? 50% other 50% diesel?

Thanks!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would run 50% diesel, and 50% other myself. You need good clean diesel to act as a lubricant for the IP. I wouldn't say 50 gas and 50 other, because who knows what quality that 50 other is? Stick with at least half of the good stuff, and you'll be fine.

cornrichard

I read that as caster oil first. I used to use that in 2 stroke dirt bikes. It smells great when you burn it. I am going to have to add some to the deuce. I bet it burns it to well to get that nice smell but it will be cool if it doesn't. Sorry, no use full info to your real question.,

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So long as it's not a synthetic with water base or a oil/water emulsion, you should be able to use it. Just filter it VERY good.

13 MIKE

That is a water soluble oil. If you have any water in the tank it will be dispersed thru the whole tank.
Other than that, i'm not sure what additives it has, be careful.

ETA after rereading, is this used coolant from the machines, or leftover unused coolant? If it's used you have about 90-95% water in it.

Last edited:

R Racing

Do you have the model # of the coolant ? That would determine alot ! come coolants contain things that make them high friction for better shearing action that would score your cylinder walls and pistions badly. Some oil base coolants are not to be used with aluminum once again another piston damaging issue. honestly I have been in the machining biz for over 30 years and I wouldnt burn it in my deuce !! :cookoo:

deuceman51

I would honestly stick to diesel. Using all these burnable fluids in a deuce will work(transformer oil, machine tool oil, waste oil, ect), but you have to take into account your filters will need to be changed more often $$, and you risk damaging the IP and other parts over time. Diesel is the best thing for your truck although it "can" use other fluids. I have access to all kinds of used petroleum products, but I stick to diesel. Just my $.02

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
used machine tool coolant = mostly water and machining fines
unused machine tool coolant = water soluable (most anyway)
I would not put a water soluable oil in my tank.
:ditto:

I'd stay away from this stuff. If it's used it's going to have a bunch of abrasives in it not to mention all the water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks