• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winch install questions

Smokinyoda

Finally got around to putting winch on today, and I have a couple questions.

The tie down/handle does not fit anymore. The holes on the frame are blocked by the extensions. Is this normal? Should I drill through the extensions or just leave them off? All other holes line up so i'm sure I have it on right (shown in last picture).

Also the mount for the front shackles, what do you use as a spacer for the rear 2 bolts? There is a gap between it and the extension. I was going to use washers but didn't have any big enough, and curious what others used.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's odd but maybe not! I've never bothered to check the span between the bolts of the old U shaped tie downs and those that you have. None of the later truck (which had those handles) were equipped with a winch so I'd say they are different. My personal opinion would be to drill the winch extension to match the frame, not visa versa.

There is a spacer that was used under the mount on winch trucks. If you have extra lower grille mounts you can sacrifice them for the cause.

Smokinyoda

None of the later truck (which had those handles) were equipped with a winch so I'd say they are different.
Thanks for reply, but when you say later truck, you mean newer? This is supposedly a '65 model. Although it did go through the depot rebuild in the late 80's if that matters.

The span appears to be the same. My other truck has u bolt handle, and bolt pattern looks the same.

Just to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart I went out to check and took a couple of pictures of the outside and inside.

And by the way, what is the intended purpose of these handles?

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Yes you do use a big thick washer on the shackles. I've done 4 winch installs. 3/4 had the holes line up perfect for the handle. I had to drill the hole on the '68 for the handle to go in

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The span appears to be the same. My other truck has u bolt handle, and bolt pattern looks the same.
Yes, same for both styles, 4.5 inches. (pic#1)

Just to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart I went out to check and took a couple of pictures of the outside and inside.
Compare position of bolt holes (pic#2)... your extensions are OK, while the frame is odd in that it is drilled farther forward. Even so I would re-drill the extensions like Kenny suggested.

Also, instead of washers you could use a piece of flat iron as spacer (last pic)
That is closest to what comes factory installed, welded in place.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hooty481

My frame is exactly the same way... The vin plate where it came from GL says it was a tanker tank truck m49 and also says it had a winch but it doesn't appear to have ever had a winch. when i got the truck the tank was off and i just got a cab a chassey. the front end looked like it had never been touched. so i was wondering about drilling the holes in the winch extensions myself i my truck is either a 68 or a 70 title says 70m49 and vin plate says 68 m49 beats me

treeguy

Thats really strange about the tie downs, the donor truck's look like an older style. Winch trucks have that 1/4" plate that Gringeltaube shows welded to their triangle bumper supports. I reused my triangles so I put the shackle mount on the bumper, slid in the front two bolts and put a plate under it. Then I traced the mount and the bolt holes, removed it, drilled, cut and volla!
How did you make out for the bolts?
Fun wrenchin id nit?:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks