• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2

POWERSTROKEN

You have some good ideas there. I used a camper because it already has the guts. water tank, frig, stove and the rest of the stuff. The camper is not permanently attached. Already have plans to build a frame work for the camper jacks that would extend past the side of the truck and go down so the jacks will reach the ground. But I'll wait on that one to see how much we use the camper. Here in Springfield Oregon there are places to go within a hours drive. I hope to be using the truck a lot so i may never remove the camper. Only my wife and time will tell.

unclemikey

Hey Low Tech. I remembered that sometime back I had posted some pictures of a camper trailer of a friend of mine. He used a gen trailer, but a 105 would work just as well, maybe better. This might just be an idea you could work with. Look in search under MV RV/ Camper Conversion, pages 2 & 3. His cost was very low and the outcome I think was super. Hope this helps the way your thinking of going.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Low Tech. I remembered that sometime back I had posted some pictures of a camper trailer of a friend of mine. He used a gen trailer, but a 105 would work just as well, maybe better. This might just be an idea you could work with. Look in search under MV RV/ Camper Conversion, pages 2 & 3. His cost was very low and the outcome I think was super. Hope this helps the way your thinking of going.
I do remember that thread, it was a very nice looking camper they made. I've been thinking of a S-250, or such, dropped in. Though I may start w/ a 105 hardtop. Could also be very tempted by one of those gutted MTK's.

unclemikey

I do remember that thread, it was a very nice looking camper they made. I've been thinking of a S-250, or such, dropped in. Though I may start w/ a 105 hardtop. Could also be very tempted by one of those gutted MTK's.

The S-250 is really stout and very cool looking, however they are way small to sleep in.

Made a little more progress today. wired in the battery equalizer. Also wired in the camper clearance lights. Them 12v bulbs that still work look like flood lights on 24 volts. Started to change out bulbs but some of the sockets are to far gone.
Filled and the fresh water tank and tested the pump. Unfortunately i have a small leak to track down.
Also the camper is now insect free. It was taken over by wasps last week so they got bombed. Just so you know a flea bomb will take them out just fine.
I'm getting excited again, as soon as the clearance lights are fixed i can start driving it again.

Attachments

unclemikey

The Fun never stops.......keep up the good work. The weather here is getting to where I will be able to get to the great outdoors again. All you guys talking and showing these cool pictures is making itchy. [thumbzup]

3dAngus

I think I would paint those red wires the correct color code, rather than trust those labels. Black, white, red, green or whatever the code is for the application.

Never felt comfortable with two black or two red cables on a 12vdc battery either.

Fantastic job on the camper. I love the way you painted it and blended camper to truck.

I think I would paint those red wires the correct color code, rather than trust those labels. Black, white, red, green or whatever the code is for the application.

Never felt comfortable with two black or two red cables on a 12vdc battery either.
You make a good point. Gona put diffrent color heat shrink on cable ends and a corresponding color splotch on equalizer. and battery clamps. As Clint would say (A mans got to know his limitations) Sure as shootin' a few years down the road I'd mix em up due to faded or missing tape. Thanks for the tip.

John

unclemikey

Some good thinking going on here. Color code always works, even with brain fade. Ask me why I know this? Point two,.... a bed change? :cookoo: Now that is quite a thought. The weight would be an issue, but to secure the bed would be a snap, just like a dump. I like the idea. [thumbzup] I will have to ponder that a bit. :roll:

That is why I love SS

FMFDOC

Bed change... Could you do it like they do with a roll-off or a roll-back? Seems kinda high off the ground for that. hmmmmm
However, it opens up a ton of options. You could have a CONEX box, a flatbed, a camper (of course), a regular bed... The possibilities are pretty much endless.
With a couple of home made guide-rails and a good sized winch, I would think it's do-able.
You could lock it into place with hitch pins or just use bolts.
:idea:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
INTERCHANGABLE BEDS.....

WOW !

This reminded me of some toys I had from my childhood which might have been the basis for my LOVE of MV's.

The Mighty Mike 6x6 and 4x4 trucks were true all-wheel-drive, low gear, high torque toys.
They had INTERCHANGABLE BODIES and the 6x6 even had a VERY M109ish box!
I had the FULL SET as shown in the pics....

When the CHINOOK series of Chevy Blazer based RV's came out, I had thoughts of making bodies for them as swappable options, too.

THANKS for stirring my memory!

Attachments

tm america

i've been on the bed change idea for a while i have it all drawn out .My setup is a dump- roll off box .I have the winch and dump setup . i just need to get the other materials together ,, My idea was i would set up a m109 box as a camper , have my dropside for working . and do a longer flat bed for hauling cars......the main reason i wanted to do this is so i can throw the m109 box on there go to haspin and drop the box to camp in and have a lighter truck to wheel with less things getting damaged on the rear of the truck

tm america

Couple problems with using a rollback tow bed ..First a deuce is too high off the ground for that to work.Second the deuce has to much hang over past the rear axle to use the bed off of a one ton...Also all the extra weight of putting a roll back and a stock bed would pretty much use up all your payload capacity

FMFDOC

How about a pop up? Might make more sence on a trailer than mounted to a Deuce bed. If mounted on top of the bed rails you could use the space for storage. Jim
You mean like turning it to the right 90 degrees so the door faced the truck bed? I guess the slide out bed parts of the camper could run wild over the sides of the truck alright. It's not like you'd be driving it with the pop up popped up. That's a heck of an idea![thumbzup]

budman67

here some pictures of a unit on pirate4x4... same concept could be used in a duece bed.

Interesting,but I believe the max width you can legally be is 102" and
max height 13'6 without permits.

I really like the ideas in this thread,but I prefer to have it as a trailer
myself.

Cool ideas guys[thumbzup]

Bighurt

Interesting,but I believe the max width you can legally be is 102" and
max height 13'6 without permits.

I really like the ideas in this thread,but I prefer to have it as a trailer
myself.

Cool ideas guys[thumbzup]
Depends on State/territory

ND is 10' without permits, and 13'6" high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks