• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USMC Trencher going home

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I bought this 1947 Cleveland Trencher from a peanut farmer in SW Georgia about 3yrs ago. Since then, it has sat...and sat..:-(

SS Member 1943halftrack knows a retired Marine LTC that does alot with the USMC Museum at Camp Pendleton, CA. so we all started plotting on how we could get the trencher out there. I donated it.

Well...tomorrow we will move the trencher out to the airfield on Ft. Benning, GA. where it will be secured to pallets and prepped for transport...by a C17 around Mar 26!:grd:

If anyone is interested in this story, I can update with pics as it progresses. Todays pics are just getting her steam cleaned and checked for leaks etc...none were found[thumbzup]

Hope to be there when they load her on the bird...er...unless it's in the middle of the night:lol::lol:

Attachments

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If any message was worthy of rep points this has to be one of them. I know many don't use the rep points anymore but I gave some anyhow. :) Thanks for setting a perfect example for others on SS to follow. [thumbzup]

Ruppster

3dAngus

That's really cool Papabear. I could use that to dig my trench this week in the back yard. I wonder if the plane could drop load it here for a few days. :beer:

I look forward to hearing more. Keep those pictures coming.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, that sucker is big! But then you have marines to dig the smaller trenches.
That is one outstanding gift to the Museum! Thanks from an old Marine.
Bruce

zout

I remember you telling me while we were looking at it about the possibility of it heading out there. This is a great story and especially if you can be kept apraised from the West Coast end with pics of the restore.

Looking forward to seeing more.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm gonna go check it out when it gets here. LMK when it touches down.

I bought this 1947 Cleveland Trencher from a peanut farmer in SW Georgia about 3yrs ago. Since then, it has sat...and sat..:-(

SS Member 1943halftrack knows a retired Marine LTC that does alot with the USMC Museum at Camp Pendleton, CA. so we all started plotting on how we could get the trencher out there. I donated it.

Well...tomorrow we will move the trencher out to the airfield on Ft. Benning, GA. where it will be secured to pallets and prepped for transport...by a C17 around Mar 26!:grd:

If anyone is interested in this story, I can update with pics as it progresses. Todays pics are just getting her steam cleaned and checked for leaks etc...none were found[thumbzup]

Hope to be there when they load her on the bird...er...unless it's in the middle of the night:lol::lol:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Today was a day of mixed emotions.

Loaded up the trencher after some more steam cleaning and transported her to LAAF Ft. Benning, GA. for transport.

The fellers at the LAAF were just super, they provided all the shoring/dunage as well as the tie-down equipment on the word of a retired Marine LTC, and 1943halftrack that it would be sent it back.
Normally, the "unit" has to supply stuff...but I don't have a "unit".LOL

This has taken about 6 months to coordinate cause we had to wait for a C17 that was coming here from CA to participate in Airborne drop training...without a follow on mission. Of course that could change tomorrow! ANYWAY>>>

The trencher is on the airfield...secured to pallets, on a K-loader, awaiting her ONLY "first class" ride, and I am posting this with a heavy heart...feel like I donated one of my kids for posterity:(

We plan to be there for the actual loading and the Marines have promised to send some pics from the other end. Might be awhile though.

It's amazing how God works...when fellers let Him guide them!

Here's the pics from today:

Attachments

gunboy1656

That thing looked huge when it was on the ground, on the back of the of the roll bed it don't look so large.

Still looks like a fun toy, glad it will be heading off to a good home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks