• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlight switch for m915a1

reb87

I need a headlight switch for my m915a1, I cannot find any numbers on the old unit. I got one from napa that looked right, made for a 80s jeep but it was wired differently. Anybody know how to find an original switch for it or is there a better style switch that would handle the lighting for a semi and trailer without getting hot like most of my m915-m920 trucks do. This one was getting hot and also tripping the internal circuit breaker resulting in my lights going on and off....I blew my fan over the switch to cool it and that kept the lights on, but its time for a replacement...

Fixlinc

Something is wrong someplace if it is getting too hot. Was planning on changing light switch in ours but haven't got to it yet. Just going to drop off all the blackout lights and wire just needed lights to a new switch. Finding anything electrical for those trucks is a real pain. You might check the Cole Hersee catalog to see what kind of switch you want.

Cole Hersee Co.

deuceman51

Reb,
This is common with the M915s and the like. The headlight load is too much for the lightswitch. That is why at least in SD we came up with an MWO to take the load off the headlight switch and keep it from burning out. We basically just wired in a relay to take the load off the lightswitch. I have guards this weekend, but might be able to get you a copy of our MWO wiring plan and I might be able to make you the entire setup. I install it on all my customers M915s to avoid this problem.

jatonka

Deuceman 51, If you get around to making one of those MWO kits up to save the headlight switch on the 915A1, please put me on the list for one of them. It is the only thing wrong with my new to me M915A1. It sure pulled a van trailer out of Fort Drum faster than my freightliner could have. JT out

M813A1

Docfarmall you have he right idea !! That is the best idea to put the clearance lights on a seperate circut just like a commerical truck !! That is what I did when I owned my Ford LTL 9000 commerical tractor . I think if you look really close to that light switch it is the same as a 1970's Ford Pickup truck switch ??? And they are about $ 16.00 at the auto parts store !! But when I was driving M1075's (James ) truck the lights were going on and off just like when my 1970 Ford pickup truck headlight switch went out several months ago !!

reb87

Deuceman, please sent me the mwo wiring plan, that sounds great. I pulled the switch from my m915 that im not using right now to get by. I think the switches sit so long between use that the contacts get oxidized and create resistance. Thanks rcflyer Im going to get a couple extras to carry in the trucks...

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reb,
This is common with the M915s and the like. The headlight load is too much for the lightswitch. That is why at least in SD we came up with an MWO to take the load off the headlight switch and keep it from burning out. We basically just wired in a relay to take the load off the lightswitch. I have guards this weekend, but might be able to get you a copy of our MWO wiring plan and I might be able to make you the entire setup. I install it on all my customers M915s to avoid this problem.
I would definitely like a copy of the mod. My M920 switch is always hot and have the trouble with the headlights going out when the circuit breaker trips. One question on the mod. Does the mod use a different circuit breaker for the headlights? If not, what keeps the circuit breaker from tripping?

reb87

Im guessing the orig switch is only used for energizing a relay(which actually handles the load)I suppose there would need to be a circuit breaker added to work with the relay...

Fixlinc

Yes Reb87 would use a dependable circuit breaker or fuse to power the relay. Then the switch only switches the relay which actually switches the power for lights or whatever.

Using Relays To Wiring Off Road Lights And Accessories

I have some more links to switches and relays but it keeps timing out on me here. On ours just standard truck toggles but will use relays and circuit breakers I can buy easier local.

cornrichard

My 915a1's are all having light switch problems. I dug into two trucks today. The marker light circuit was getting SUPER hot on both trucks.
On one truck the terminal block was melted so bad I had to cut the marker light section out with tin snips. The other truck was almost as bad but it looks like the switch died before it could finish off the plug in.
I put in a circuit breaker and relay to take the load off the marker circuit.
I got the power from the circuit breaker panel.
In the pictures I have the wire on the wrong group of breakers. There are two groups of three breakers. One group is switched with the key, the other is constant hot. I moved to the constant hot so I could use the parking lights without leaving the key on.
As soon as I can get a new headlight switch both trucks should be A OK. I got all the 30 amp breakers and relays my parts store had, so the other trucks will have to wait their turn. This is a easy job that takes about an hour.

Attachments

Last edited:

deuceman51

Guys, I have the parts now to make the MWO kits for the M915A1 headlight problem, but I have been deployed for flood duty in my state for the last 2 weeks and I might not be released until July now. As soon as I get back I will get the kits made up and should have an idea on the cost for everyone that is interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks